• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Really Is A Stable Genius

I was expecting an article from The Onion or something with a thread title "Trump really is a Stable Genius," but no... someone out there really thinks that.

Near the end of the article: “ To be clear, this is my plan, not President Trump’s

Well I suppose it takes reading to the end of the article and not just getting excited about a headline.

The article doesn't seem to really exalt Trump's plan as much as saying that Trump's idea of changing how S.S. is financed could finally push the Republicans and Democrats together to form an actual, long-lasting solution.

Well I suppose it takes reading to the end of the article and not just getting excited about a headline.

The article doesn't seem to really exalt Trump's plan as much as saying that Trump's idea of changing how S.S. is financed could finally push the Republicans and Democrats together to form an actual, long-lasting solution.

Every experience with the OP gets me closer to scrolling by........

SS is collected in the form of a ‘payroll tax’ currently. How is collecting it as part of income tax change anything? Payroll is the main ‘income’ for most citizens.

Social Security is not going to change until our congress on both sides of the aisle stop worry about their next reelection campaign and worry about working for the "good" of the country. The single largest problem is political "lifers" and pandering to different demographics for votes. TERM LIMITS would be a start, but that would take a national referendum by the American people because politician are not going to do this on their own.

SS is collected in the form of a ‘payroll tax’ currently. How is collecting it as part of income tax change anything? Payroll is the main ‘income’ for most citizens.

Well as the article states:

But President Trump made clear in an Aug. 12 news conference that his real goal is to replace the Social Security payroll tax with revenues drawn from the general tax fund, the vast majority of which is income taxes. This idea faces both practical and philosophical hurdles, but could help the political parties finally come together to fix Social Security.

So it's not really a feasible solution to just change it, but the author would hope that being able to discuss various funding mechanisms could push the parties together to fix S.S.

Apparently you didn't read the article.

Apparently you didn't read the article.

I read far enough to trash your pick for the thread title. Wan to respond to post #3? Why don’t you tell me how payroll and income are different for those w/o investments?

I read far enough to trash your pick for the thread title. Wan to respond to post #3? Why don’t you tell me how payroll and income are different for those w/o investments?

You didn't read the whole article.

Okay MR, forget his many bankrupticies, fraudulent businesses, bragging about stiffing contractors, try to focus on this: He promised to balance the budget but ballooned it the first chance he got. Other than he's your cult leader, why do you trust him with anything let alone money.

Okay MR, forget his many bankrupticies, fraudulent businesses, bragging about stiffing contractors, try to focus on this: He promised to balance the budget but ballooned it the first chance he got. Other than he's your cult leader, why do you trust him with anything let alone money.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about possibly eliminating FICA taxes and funding these programs through the general fund.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about possibly eliminating FICA taxes and funding these programs through the general fund.

really? I saw the first two words of your link "Trump's idea" and stopped reading. I would think anybody whose brain wasnt damaged via some sort of horrific trauma also would have stopped. my bad.

FICA taxes already go into the general fund. Social Security is already paid out of the general fund. Trump's proposal would just mean that the general fund would be paying out Social Security checks without the money to cover them coming in. The result would be an even more rapid ballooning of the deficit. This is not a good idea. It's like setting a house on fire because you can't agree with your spouse on the remodeling plan.

no, but he is an idiot. he is just a tad bit smarter than his cult, though.

FICA taxes already go into the general fund. Social Security is already paid out of the general fund. Trump's proposal would just mean that the general fund would be paying out Social Security checks without the money to cover them coming in. The result would be an even more rapid ballooning of the deficit. This is not a good idea. It's like setting a house on fire because you can't agree with your spouse on the remodeling plan.

Well, if it were to happen then obviously tax rates would have to rise and it would be taxing income, basically the same thing that is happening now. Only many things would be easier than they were before without having a separate accounting system to funnel the money back and forth. Future rises in benefits would be easier to manage and the future of the programs wouldn't be in doubt.

Well, if it were to happen then obviously tax rates would have to rise and it would be taxing income, basically the same thing that is happening now. Only many things would be easier than they were before without having a separate accounting system to funnel the money back and forth. Future rises in benefits would be easier to manage and the future of the programs wouldn't be in doubt.

Income tax increases are harder to get through congress. It's more likely that SS benefits would be whittled down and even ended in the name of cost cutting. Considering the Republican penchant for shutting down the government it would cause problems, not settle them. It's just not worth it to simplify accounting procedures that are automated anyway.

Social Security is not going to change until our congress on both sides of the aisle stop worry about their next reelection campaign and worry about working for the "good" of the country. The single largest problem is political "lifers" and pandering to different demographics for votes. TERM LIMITS would be a start, but that would take a national referendum by the American people because politician are not going to do this on their own.

Ending gerrymandering would be more effective. As long as a majority of politicians only have to answer/fear the most radical citizens then no compromise is possible. Term limits just shuffles the name plates... :peace

Perception. People feel like they make more money, the acolytes come here to crow about the wonders Trump has done.

Makes it obvious then why you chose to title the thread "Trump Really Is A Stable Genius'.

Did you read the article? We've had years and years of these programs on the path toward insolvency with Congress critters doing nothing about it and Trump may have hit on something that could break the logjam. That sounds like a stable genius to me.

The US Social Security system requires little more than some tweaking to continue on into the future. There are other government programs which need attention far more.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Because you pay 100% of the payroll taxes, whether you’re on the payroll or not.

The US Social Security system requires little more than some tweaking to continue on into the future. There are other government programs which need attention far more.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Seriously!

For years the fix has been well known.

Raise the tax nominally.

Eliminate the income cap.

Raise the retirement age a little bit.

These are the same fixes Ronald Reagan did, and they worked.

Seriously!

For years the fix has been well known.

Raise the tax nominally.

Eliminate the income cap.

Raise the retirement age a little bit.

These are the same fixes Ronald Reagan did, and they worked.

Right on, Sir! Right on!

Other 'solutions', such as privatization, are simply ways for the private business sector to belly up to the federal bar for freebies.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom