• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump ready for US shutdown to last 'for years'

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46763940

US President Donald Trump has said he is prepared for a partial shutdown of the US government - now entering its third week - to last years.

After meeting top Democrats at the White House, the Republican president stood by his demand for congressional funding of a US-Mexico border wall.
=====================================================
If this remains his position, a lot of the 800K Federal employees who work without pay or have been furloughed will be filing a lot of lawsuits.

One example I heard this AM is a Gov employee who can't close on his pending home purchase because the FHA is shut down. If he can prove monetary damages he can find a lawyer to take his case.

Members of the Coast Guard are going without pay......They should refuse to go out to sea until they do

US President Donald Trump has said he is prepared for a partial shutdown of the US government - now entering its third week - to last years.

After meeting top Democrats at the White House, the Republican president stood by his demand for congressional funding of a US-Mexico border wall.
If this remains his position, a lot of the 800K Federal employees who work without pay or have been furloughed will be filing a lot of lawsuits.

One example I heard this AM is a Gov employee who can't close on his pending home purchase because the FHA is shut down. If he can prove monetary damages he can find a lawyer to take his case.

Well if we just leave the government shut down there will be no appropriations to pay judgements, so meh...

Also if these alleged lawsuits equal to more then 5 Billion dollars then maybe the democrats are lying when they say 5 billion is too much money.

Members of the Coast Guard are going without pay......They should refuse to go out to sea until they do

I don't think the UCMJ takes mutiny lightly.

I don't think the UCMJ takes mutiny lightly.

894. ARTICLE 94. MUTINY OR SEDITION « UCMJ ? United States Code of Military Justice

Home
894. ARTICLE 94. MUTINY OR SEDITION
10. Punitive Articles
(a) Any person subject to this chapter who–

(1) with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority, refuses, in concert with any other person, to obey orders or otherwise do his duty or creates any violence or disturbance is guilty of mutiny;

(2) with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of lawful civil authority, creates, in concert with any other person, revolt, violence, or disturbance against that authority is guilty of sedition;

(3) fails to do his utmost to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition being committed in his presence, or fails to take all reasonable means to inform his superior commissioned officer or commanding officer of a mutiny or sedition which he knows or has reason to believe is taking place, is guilty of a failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition.

(b) A person who is found guilty of attempted mutiny, mutiny, sedition, or failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court- martial may direct.

Well if we just leave the government shut down there will be no appropriations to pay judgements, so meh...

Also if these alleged lawsuits equal to more then 5 Billion dollars then maybe the democrats are lying when they say 5 billion is too much money.

5 billion is not too much to pay for border security. It's a drop in the bucket.

But it's too much to pay when there is no plan other than "Give me the money that I promised you wouldn't have to spend to build this wall which is really a fence but I said it wouldn't be a fence, and I'm already taking credit for building it because I'm just winging it and don't have a handle on the facts that I need in order to make a compelling case."

We need a plan to address the multifaceted security picture, and the multifaceted costs, before we agree to give him the money that he promised we wouldn't have to give him.

5 billion is not too much to pay for border security. It's a drop in the bucket.

But it's too much to pay when there is no plan other than "Give me the money that I promised you wouldn't have to spend to build this wall which is really a fence but I said it wouldn't be a fence, and I'm already taking credit for building it because I'm just winging it and don't have a handle on the facts that I need in order to make a compelling case."

We need a plan to address the multifaceted security picture, and the multifaceted costs, before we agree to give him the money that he promised we wouldn't have to give him.

five billion is a number Trump pulled out of his ass. He has no idea how it will be used to advance border security other than some vague notion of creating a medieval solution to a 21st Century issue, which is mainly a problem for xenophobes.

They won't get paid in the brig, either. :cool:

They won't get paid in the brig, either. :cool:

They can't arrest them all......The members need to stand together against trump.....Time for those not getting paid to refuse to work....Shut it down

They can't arrest them all......The members need to stand together against trump.....Time for those not getting paid to refuse to work....Shut it down
Yeah, I'm sure they are all willing to face mutiny charges. :roll:

The members need to stand together against trump

So you're calling for a military coup against the duly elected President of the United States....That's called treason....

So you're calling for a military coup against the duly elected President of the United States....That's called treason....

Coup?...By refusing to work while not being paid?....You sound scared...LOL

No, but they can execute some of the ones they arrest. Mutiny is a capital crime and carries the death penalty.

calm down, everybody. Mexico will pay the five billion any day now.

COUNTERSUIT - Payment for non essential services - Sounds like services not rendered - treble damages (X) every year.

These State Check Recipients know they will receive retro pay for this extended vacation. Time for a Reduction In Force. (RIF).

No, but they can execute some of the ones they arrest. Mutiny is a capital crime and carries the death penalty.

Big talk......I urge all Federal Employees to strike...Shut it down...Go "execute " that

You sound scared...Talking coup, against your great leader

You sound ridiculous....Talking of sworn members of our military refusing to do their job because of who the President is...

Big talk......I urge all Federal Employees to strike...Shut it down...Go "execute " that

I'm simply pointing out that, under the UCMJ, mutiny is a capital crime.

I'm simply pointing out that, under the UCMJ, mutiny is a capital crime.

Striking for pay is not Mutiny...They could call in sick.......I'm urging all Federal employees to do so

Trump ready for US shutdown to last 'for years'

He may very well be; but I don't think the GOP is. He won't be the first President to have a veto over-ridden by his own party.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom