• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump / Putin Meetings

<alt>doxygen

"I want MY WALL!"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
President Trump has apparently met with Putin multiple times, but no one except the translator has any knowledge or record of those meetings.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-putin-meeting-no-note-taker.html

(lots of other sites have this story if Slate bothers you)

Now the right wing media ecosystem (radio and Fox yesterday) are outraged that the FBI might have thought there was something untoward about the Trump/Putin/Russia connections.

I'd be interested in what Trump's supporters here think is going on between Trump and Putin, and why we (the people Trump is supposed to serve) and the US intelligence services don't deserve a record and understanding of it.

This seems like a straight up Through the Looking Glass thing to me.

Spare me the nothingburgers and DeepState nonsense.

Some were arguing that he has done this with other world leaders. North Korea (KJ), China's leader, and others.
Trumps' got the "Deepstate" narrative going, he will use that. Because in a sense he's right.
We do and should know what is going on, and he does fear us knowing. It could be because he's a raging idiot and doesn't want *even more* evidence he's a moron.
Or it could be more conspiratorial.
In Russia's case, I think he has the weakest position, since he has been pro-Russia and has never crossed Putin in word or deed in any significant way.
A foreign adversary...not once.

President Trump has apparently met with Putin multiple times, but no one except the translator has any knowledge or record of those meetings.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-putin-meeting-no-note-taker.html

Now the right wing media ecosystem (radio and Fox yesterday) are outraged that the FBI might have thought there was something untoward about the Trump/Putin/Russia connections.

I'd be interested in what Trump's supporters here think is going on between Trump and Putin, and why we (the people Trump is supposed to serve) and the US intelligence services don't deserve a record and understanding of it.

Under what authority and grounds did the FBI investigate The President of The United States?

Under what authority and grounds did the FBI investigate The President of The United States?

You could ask Sessions who ran the DOJ back then. He's unemployed now and has free time.

Now, try answering the posted question.

Some were arguing that he has done this with other world leaders. North Korea (KJ), China's leader, and others.
Trumps' got the "Deepstate" narrative going, he will use that. Because in a sense he's right.
We do and should know what is going on, and he does fear us knowing. It could be because he's a raging idiot and doesn't want *even more* evidence he's a moron.
Or it could be more conspiratorial.
In Russia's case, I think he has the weakest position, since he has been pro-Russia and has never crossed Putin in word or deed in any significant way.
A foreign adversary...not once.

I saw the Russian connections all over his campaign. Then they forced the GOP into a pro-Putin platform change prior to the GOP convention. That was it for me.

...but according to trumpers it's a crime that anyone, especially in the government, is concerned about this stuff.

This is a bad dream. Maybe a bad acid trip. I would like to wake up, come down, whatever.

Tell us, what EXACTLY did Obama mean when he back channeled to the Russian President that he'd be more flexible after he won re-election. And while you're at it, please explain why Obama was 100% sure he was going to win. I mean, to make promises AHEAD of winning an American election?
What did Obama know that we didn't know?/

Please, explain that to us.

Tell us, what EXACTLY did Obama mean when he back channeled to the Russian President that he'd be more flexible after he won re-election. And while you're at it, please explain why Obama was 100% sure he was going to win. I mean, to make promises AHEAD of winning an American election?
What did Obama know that we didn't know?/

Please, explain that to us.

Deflection. Whataboutobama rejected as apples and oranges.

If you'd like to make an honest attempt to contribute, go ahead, if not, later...

Well, I do agree completely that the president should be able to meet with anyone in the world and the communications kept private from the public. It's just necessary.

What is scary, stupid and absolutely amazing is that he'd have meetings with someone like Putin and have absolutely no one else present, no notes and not inform his advisors on what was talked about. Anyone with any sense at all understands how stupid this is. It is begging for a problem. Even if Trump has only the best of intentions and this is something he just honestly wants to do, it's incredibly stupid. When you couple it with all of the lies regarding Russia, Russia hacking his opponent and helping him out it's just trouble on top of trouble. The man is not capable to do the job. He's not competent nor honest nor moral enough to do the job.

Well, I do agree completely that the president should be able to meet with anyone in the world and the communications kept private from the public. It's just necessary.

What is scary, stupid and absolutely amazing is that he'd have meetings with someone like Putin and have absolutely no one else present, no notes and not inform his advisors on what was talked about. Anyone with any sense at all understands how stupid this is. It is begging for a problem. Even if Trump has only the best of intentions and this is something he just honestly wants to do, it's incredibly stupid. When you couple it with all of the lies regarding Russia, Russia hacking his opponent and helping him out it's just trouble on top of trouble. The man is not capable to do the job. He's not competent nor honest nor moral enough to do the job.

Agreed. I messed up the wording of my OP a bit. "we the people" don't need to know at this time. However, others in the government DO have an interest and a right to know based on their job descriptions.

If I was POTUS, I'd WANT witnesses and I would want to discuss what was said with others.

dont' hold your breath.

Trump and Putin have some deal, some "understanding", otherwise, why the secrecy?

Notice Trump saying "Crimea belongs to Russia because they speak Russian" ( then why doesn't the US occupy Canada? )

Agreed. I messed up the wording of my OP a bit. "we the people" don't need to know at this time. However, others in the government DO have an interest and a right to know based on their job descriptions.

If I was POTUS, I'd WANT witnesses and I would want to discuss what was said with others.

Exactly. Any honest person would. If for nothing else, witnesses can confirm your word over theirs if our intelligence agencies catch discussions by that government that you said X. Your witnesses could confirm you didn't discuss X or that you didn't make promises of X. Or whatever.

Exactly. Any honest person would. If for nothing else, witnesses can confirm your word over theirs if our intelligence agencies catch discussions by that government that you said X. Your witnesses could confirm you didn't discuss X or that you didn't make promises of X. Or whatever.

Trump seems more concerned about something besides that and the ability to bounce the meeting minutes off others in the intelligence services to get their take. Of course, Trump knows more than any of them, so why would he need to do that?

dont' hold your breath.

Trump and Putin have some deal, some "understanding", otherwise, why the secrecy?

Notice Trump saying "Crimea belongs to Russia because they speak Russian" ( then why doesn't the US occupy Canada? )

It all reeks of impropriety and worse, but that's nothing new for the Trump admin. What cracks me up is that the trumpers and their media still fake outrage that anyone thinks this is wrong or unseemly in any way. "How dare anyone question a sitting president???"

Back
Top Bottom