• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump pulling troops from Syria

Airyaman

New Druid
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Just curious...who does this help more, Russia or Saudi Arabia? I know the Russians want this, but not sure if the Saudis have an opinion?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46623617

Trump says we have defeated ISIS in Syria so no reason to be there. Seems some experts disagree, but Trump must have seen something on Fox News about it so time to close up shop I guess.

What's your opinion on this move? I personally wish we'd get out of more countries, but not sure what this does to the rest of the world's power balance either. Perhaps nothing.

As much as I'd like to us out of Syria, this would be a mistake. It seems, imo, a concession to someone like the Russians or Saudis.

The Saudi's would in general be against this

They don't like having Iran have influence in Syria, but probably dont want the US to be helping the generally moderate (in religion) Kurds, as opposed to more fundie religious groups in Syria. Turkey will be on board with this, as it will weaken the Kurds, but somewhat against because it will strengthen Assad who they want gone.

Only three countries will find the US leaving to be fully beneficial to their goals, Russia, Syria and Iran. All others will find it a mixed bag or a negative in full. Full negative of course would be Israel and while not a country, the Kurds

Semi-update (of duh): https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1075405473300561920

Jake Tapper@jaketapper

“ISIS has NOT been defeated,” says @SoccerMouaz of the Syrian Emergency Task Force. “I have no idea what the president is talking about.”

7:00 AM - 19 Dec 2018

The USA has absolutely no business in Syrai. As regards ISIS, they are mostly suported by Qatar and Saudi Arabia, our great allies. We are an uninvited occupying invader in Syria by any measure. If we support Saudi Arabia and Qatar, we support ISIS. Clear as crystal.
/

Just curious...who does this help more, Russia or Saudi Arabia? I know the Russians want this, but not sure if the Saudis have an opinion?

Trump says we have defeated ISIS in Syria so no reason to be there. Seems some experts disagree, but Trump must have seen something on Fox News about it so time to close up shop I guess.

What's your opinion on this move? I personally wish we'd get out of more countries, but not sure what this does to the rest of the world's power balance either. Perhaps nothing.

If Putin ordered it, Trump can only follow.....:roll:

The USA has absolutely no business in Syrai. As regards ISIS, they are mostly suported by Qatar and Saudi Arabia, our great allies. We are an uninvited occupying invader in Syria by any measure. If we support Saudi Arabia and Qatar, we support ISIS. Clear as crystal.
/

Saudi Arabia and Qatar are far from friends. Saudi Arabia had a plan to turn Qatar into an island by creating a canal between it and Qatar. Not to mention trade sanctions on Qatar

Saudi Arabia and Qatar are far from friends. Saudi Arabia had a plan to turn Qatar into an island by creating a canal between it and Qatar. Not to mention trade sanctions on Qatar

Just because Saudi Arabai and Qatar are scumbag allies of the USA does not mean that the scumbags Saudi Arabia and Qatar are allies with one another. It does however cast aspersions of scumbaggery upon the USA by association.
/

It reminds me of when Nixon declared victory in Vietnam and pulled the US troops out. We had no business being there in the first place, but the war was not won and the result of a precipitous withdrawal was both negative and predictable.

Will history repeat itself? Seems like a good bet at least.

What the ****? Can't stay there forever. Let Russia, Iran, Syria, and any other 3rd world ****hole country that wants to, deal with Isis.

Besides, America has a history of pulling out too early and it makes for great political fodder. Maybe this POTUS got it right. Only time will tell.

Trump should just transfer those dudes to the southern border. At least, that way, when they get off shift they can go drink beer and get laid.

Trump has ceded Syria to Putin from the start and we are not even taking part in the peace talks. Now our friends the Kurds are being thrown to the wolves too. No surprise here.

to the question of who it benefits...it benefits Trump. He is not getting the $1.6B for his Wall. So he has to throw the base some other red meat to pick at over the holidays. Defense Dept is as usual just an appendage for Donald to screw around with....just like every other arm of government.

And today also, trump is moving to lift sanctions on three of russias oligarchs.

He is such a putin lackey.

It helps the US of A to get a beautiful border wall. 2 further years war in Syria will cost us about $34 billion ...

Cost of War in Syria Is Rising | The Fiscal Times

No reason to be in Syria. Good move by Trump. Now get out of Afghanistan.

As much as I'd like to us out of Syria, this would be a mistake. It seems, imo, a concession to someone like the Russians or Saudis.

Why? We destroyed ISIS there. The Civil War will go on for who knows how long...not worth the blood of our men. Will always be a carrier group nearby, airbases as well.

Syria is NOT Iraq. We are not leaving Syria until Iranian troops are gone...

I should also point out that rotating 10,000 US troops in and out of Afghanistan is a whole other story than rotating 2,200 troops in and out of Syria. We are actually getting some value for our 2,200 troops in Syria. We need to cut our troop levels in Afghanistan is anywhere.

I think our young men and women should be injured, crippled, and die in Middle East countries until the end of time or at least until we can get involved in a war in Asia. I see no reason for these people to solve their own problems when we can solve everyone's problems but our own.

It reminds me of when Nixon declared victory in Vietnam and pulled the US troops out. We had no business being there in the first place, but the war was not won and the result of a precipitous withdrawal was both negative and predictable.

Will history repeat itself? Seems like a good bet at least.

The result was predictable, but not in the way the hawks predicted, and it was clearly positive. Americans stopped getting maimed and killed, for one thing.

Vietnam did not become China. We have an embassy there. Communism did not win the Cold War as a result. The war was a tragic error, and it’s good to bring tragic errors to an end.

I think our young men and women should be injured, crippled, and die in Middle East countries until the end of time or at least until we can get involved in a war in Asia. I see no reason for these people to solve their own problems when we can solve everyone's problems but our own.

Not what is happening here, but OK.

Back
Top Bottom