• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump pledges to make it easier for seasonal farmworkers to enter U.S.

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From United Press International

Jan. 14 (UPI) -- President Donald Trump said he will allow seasonal farmworkers to easily enter the country at the American Farm Bureau Federation's 100th annual convention in New Orleans.

Trump promised to pursue changes in immigration laws that will "actually make it easier for them to help the farmers because you need these people," while also referring to current U.S. immigration policy as "sick" and "demented" and to make a case for a border wall.

"A lot of people don't understand this. You need people to help you with the farms. I'm not going to rule that out," Trump said.

Trump's speech came on the 24th day of a government shutdown that has centered around an impasse between congressional Democrats and the president regarding his request for $5.7 billion to construct a barrier at the U.S.-Mexico border.

COMMENTS:-

1. This man has to be STOPPED. Those are **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** jobs in **A*M*E*R*I*C*A** and any **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** patriot would be seeing that they were filled by **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N*S**.

On the other hand, maybe he's being really smart and he is going to prevent those **F*O*R*E*I*G*N*E*R*S** from taking their **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** money out of **A*M*E*R*I*C*A** when they GO BACK WHERE THEY CAME FROM. That would give him the money he needs to build "The Great **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** Wall" and those **F*O*R*E*I*G*N*E*R*S** would pay for it.

[Sarcasm Rating 95/100]
  2. Saying one thing and doing another as usual?

[Sarcasm Rating 5/100]

Jan. 14 (UPI) -- President Donald Trump said he will allow seasonal farmworkers to easily enter the country at the American Farm Bureau Federation's 100th annual convention in New Orleans.

Trump promised to pursue changes in immigration laws that will "actually make it easier for them to help the farmers because you need these people," while also referring to current U.S. immigration policy as "sick" and "demented" and to make a case for a border wall.

"A lot of people don't understand this. You need people to help you with the farms. I'm not going to rule that out," Trump said.

Trump's speech came on the 24th day of a government shutdown that has centered around an impasse between congressional Democrats and the president regarding his request for $5.7 billion to construct a barrier at the U.S.-Mexico border.

1. This man has to be STOPPED. Those are **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** jobs in **A*M*E*R*I*C*A** and any **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** patriot would be seeing that they were filled by **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N*S**.

On the other hand, maybe he's being really smart and he is going to prevent those **F*O*R*E*I*G*N*E*R*S** from taking their **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** money out of **A*M*E*R*I*C*A** when they GO BACK WHERE THEY CAME FROM. That would give him the money he needs to build "The Great **A*M*E*R*I*C*A*N** Wall" and those **F*O*R*E*I*G*N*E*R*S** would pay for it.

[Sarcasm Rating 95/100]

[Sarcasm Rating 5/100]

Oddly enough, this might have a positive effect. Back in the day they were called 'migrant farmworkers' and they would head north to work for the season(s), then go back home to their families where their wages stretch much further. Now they can't risk having to cross back and forth so they bring their families and stay.

Why should (only?) US farmers be granted permission to use low wage, third world "guest" labor when "job creators" in many US industries would profit (handsomely?) from doing the same thing? After all, there are currently many jobs that US citizens will not do for the same wages/benefits that "guest" workers from third world nations will accept.

Why should (only?) US farmers be granted permission to use low wage, third world "guest" labor when "job creators" in many US industries would profit (handsomely?) from doing the same thing? After all, there are currently many jobs that US citizens will not do for the same wages/benefits that "guest" workers from third world nations will accept.

It's the elephant in the room as far as the labor aspect of the immigration issue goes, but I guess when you're in front of one group you have to tell them what you want to hear.

Oddly enough, this might have a positive effect. Back in the day they were called 'migrant farmworkers' and they would head north to work for the season(s), then go back home to their families where their wages stretch much further. Now they can't risk having to cross back and forth so they bring their families and stay.

That sounds OK for "migrant farm workers" yet that is a tiny percentage of the occupations (industries?) now using illegal immigrant labor.

https://cis.org/Report/There-Are-No-Jobs-Americans-Wont-Do

Whuh....

Okay, pretend I'm stupid. And if you don't need to pretend, even better. How is allowing illegal immigrants to provide cheap labor even remotely in line with the current Republican position on illegal immigrants taking American jobs?

That sounds OK for "migrant farm workers" yet that is a tiny percentage of the occupations (industries?) now using illegal immigrant labor.

Good report, thanks.
I've advocated for awhile that any further resources applied to the problem ought to go to going after the businesses that employ illegal immigrants. Those people are being lured with the certainty of a job. Take that certainty away and far fewer would risk it.

edit- Having said that, farm workers who go back to Mexico after the harvest don't have a bad effect on the US society.

Last edited:
I support a migrant labor program. They'll have to beef up Everify, though, or companies will continue to hire very cheap undocumented labor preferentially, though.

It's the elephant in the room as far as the labor aspect of the immigration issue goes, but I guess when you're in front of one group you have to tell them what you want to hear.

Yep, I doubt that Trump would say that to a group of carpenters, painters, concrete workers, butchers/meat processors or restaurant workers. Of course, he is talking to the agricultural business owners (aka job creators) and not to their workforce. For those US workers in trades/industries who currently "enjoy" competing with folks which see $15 to 17/hour as a great (more than double the MW!) wage that message might not be so appealing.

"President [Name] spoke at [Industry Sector] convention and said [Whatever people running that industry wanted to hear]" :cool:

Whuh....

Okay, pretend I'm stupid. And if you don't need to pretend, even better. How is allowing illegal immigrants to provide cheap labor even remotely in line with the current Republican position on illegal immigrants taking American jobs?

So long as you pretend that illegal immigrants are mostly just "guest" migrant farm workers, even though that is only about 4% of them, it sounds like a small problem. When you realize that many US occupations/industries are involved in letting the US "job creators" pay much lower wages than would otherwise be possible without using illegal immigrant (or "safety net" subsidized US citizen) labor then attitudes change.

Only 4 percent of illegal immigrants and 2 percent of all immigrants do farm work. Immigrants (legal and illegal) do make up a large share of agricultural workers — accounting for half or more of some types of farm laborers — but all agricultural workers together constitute less than 1 percent of the American work force.

well there goes the liberal argument about we need to let illegal immigrants in to do jobs americans won't do, right up in smoke. sounds like a good plan to me.

[Sarcasm Rating 95/100]

[Sarcasm Rating 5/100]

Ignoring your comments since they really don’t add anything to the discussion.

I would support a legal way for seasonal workers to enter the US. It would need to be controlled and limited, but it would be preferable to the illegal immigration situation we have now.

So long as you pretend that illegal immigrants are mostly just "guest" migrant farm workers, even though that is only about 4% of them, it sounds like a small problem. When you realize that many US occupations/industries are involved in letting the US "job creators" pay much lower wages than would otherwise be possible without using illegal immigrant (or "safety net" subsidized US citizen) labor then attitudes change.

Then why not mandate higher wages for American workers?

Whuh....

it's not, the people that are stupid are Republican voters, because Republicans always say one thing to them, then do another. They have been playing the illegals lines for decades now, and never do a damn thing in power. republicans suck corporate D so they want the cheap labor for the corporations, while selling the hateful, idiot crowd that illegals are the cause of all their problems (while the republicans F them in the A while they are distracted)

[Sarcasm Rating 95/100]

[Sarcasm Rating 5/100]

Back in the day where I grew up we had a Bracero program. The state/fed built housing and provided banking services and transportation for seasonal workers. The program worked fine. Then around the mid '60's the program went pretty much inactive because they had no need to go back I guess. Many moved into other areas of the US workforce. Then other illegal seasonal workers came in to replace them.

There is a system in place that can be modernized and up graded. Today a lot of it has been replace by H1B's - basically workers being used to replace American workers to save on wages. You don't read about that much, but the bitching about field workers already has a solution - the H1 temporary visa system.

They all are there for one reason - to let Americans pay low prices by the use of below market labor*. The outrage should be directed to the government for being afraid to pay market wages for field work - you know "Equal pay for equal work". Bull. We are basically exploiting Mexico's poor. It's only marginally different than Russia "hiring" North Korean conscripts. We need farm labor because American's are too civilized to be involved in their own food supply.

*market labor is citizen labor issued properly taxed paychecks. How can anyone be against this?

How would you go about doing that? Keep in mind that many now make $14 to $17/hour. While that is much higher than the current MW it is about the current median wage (of about $31K/year for those with a HS education or less).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States

Speaking as someone who is unemployed, I would need to have something as a incentive to work at a retail service, industrial, agricultural, or other such jobs. If I was demanded to work 6 to 10 hours in the hot sun picking fruit by hand, I would demand on being paid 50 dollars an hour.

I support a migrant labor program. They'll have to beef up Everify, though, or companies will continue to hire very cheap undocumented labor preferentially, though.

I think what that effectively does is end the cheap labor party for the beneficiaries; it's what's kept American workers from competing with wages that are well below MW. Reforming this will prove difficult for some industries where cheap labor can sometimes be what's keeping them afloat.

Speaking as someone who is unemployed, I would need to have something as a incentive to work at a retail service, industrial, agricultural, or other such jobs. If I was demanded to work 6 to 10 hours in the hot sun picking fruit by hand, I would demand on being paid 50 dollars an hour.

You did not answer my question at all yet decided to reply with quote to that post. Your first bolded above situation may be the result of your second bolded above.

Sometimes you have to accept the pay/benefit offer of an employer to get/keep a job. When I became tired of doing that, I became a self-employed handyman.

I think what that effectively does is end the cheap labor party for the beneficiaries; it's what's kept American workers from competing with wages that are well below MW. Reforming this will prove difficult for some industries where cheap labor can sometimes be what's keeping them afloat.

Those industries have a lot of lobbying power, too. I'm actually curious if it's even possible to enact a regulated migrant worker program.

The incentive to work for many is sheer necessity; especially if you're coming from a country where even minimum wage here would yield a higher return back home. I get your point, but the cost of labor affects the cost of products and services so there is a threshold in this regard. You're not going to pay farm workers $50 an hour and expect the price of apples to remain affordable.

Those industries have a lot of lobbying power, too. I'm actually curious if it's even possible to enact a regulated migrant worker program.

Indeed. There's always a way if there's a will to do it, but there are economic considerations as it relates to small businesses so making these changes needs to be reviewed carefully. For large corporations it's a matter of how it impacts their profit margins, but for smaller businesses the impact can be much more existential one.

The incentive to work for many is sheer necessity; especially if you're coming from a country where even minimum wage here would yield a higher return back home. I get your point, but the cost of labor affects the cost of products and services so there is a threshold in this regard. You're not going to pay farm workers $50 an hour and expect the price of apples to remain affordable.

I can’t help but come to the conclusion that if left unchecked, the invisible hand of the market will strangle us.

[Sarcasm Rating 95/100]

[Sarcasm Rating 5/100]

And you don't see the difference between a controlled and monitored entry and a mass illegall border crossing? This topic has been a issue of discussion on immigration reform agendas for years. But, it's Trump, right?

Back
Top Bottom