• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump plans visit to Kenosha, Wisconsin, after Jacob Blake shooting

Media_Truth

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Whatever your side, this should be interesting. To me, there is no doubt that Trump wants to shift election narrative to unrest in our cities, and away from other issues like COVID-19.

Trump plans visit to Kenosha, Wisconsin, to meet with law enforcement

President Donald Trump will visit Kenosha on Tuesday to meet with law enforcement and survey damage from recent unrest, according to a White House pool report.

No other details were immediately available about the visit, which was announced Saturday night. The announcement comes a day after Trump addressed the Kenosha Police Department’s shooting of Jacob Blake for the first time.

Whatever your side, this should be interesting. To me, there is no doubt that Trump wants to shift election narrative to unrest in our cities, and away from other issues like COVID-19.

President Donald Trump will visit Kenosha on Tuesday to meet with law enforcement and survey damage from recent unrest, according to a White House pool report.

No other details were immediately available about the visit, which was announced Saturday night. The announcement comes a day after Trump addressed the Kenosha Police Department’s shooting of Jacob Blake for the first time.

Well, I'm gobsmacked. Trump is doing something presidential.
Hell, next thing he'll be speaking in Portland, trying to diffuse the situation there. Who knew he had it in him?

Oh Joy. I'm sure this will reduce tensions :roll:

Hell, next thing he'll be speaking in Portland, trying to diffuse the situation there. Who knew he had it in him?

This will not be viewed as anything but bipartisan, unless he visits Blake in the hospital.

A campaigning president gotta do what a campaigning president gotta do. Went to La this weekend. Didn’t even have time to go to one of his golf resorts. Campaigning is hard

Oh Joy. I'm sure this will reduce tensions :roll:

Depends what he says, and to whom.
When the crap was hitting the fan in Seattle I was grousing that Trump should be going there instead of across the street to wave a bible on church steps. I was actually disappointed that Biden didn't go to Seattle and/or Portland to speak.
If he handles this right he might actually do some good. Not that I want his image to improve, but going to a hot spot is something a President should do.

This will not be viewed as anything but bipartisan, unless he visits Blake in the hospital.

You meant 'partisan', right?
Depends how he handles it. He might not be capable of being bipartisan, but if he does he might improve his image.
Which leaves me conflicted.

Depends how he handles it. He might not be capable of being bipartisan, but if he does he might improve his image.

Not much conflict for me. If he had done something similar three months ago when this all started, it might have swayed me some. Doing it with the impression it is for campaigning purposes? Nah.

And that assumes his actions are actually beneficial and not just shallow speeches.

Trump, along with everybody on this forum, knows that his presence will make everything worse. And because Trump and everybody knows this to be fundamentally true, then the goal of the visit is to make everything worse.

And if you’re a trump supporter who knows full well that he’s going to make everything worse (because you know that that’s exactly what’s going to happen), start creating your defensive narrative now, cause you’re gonna need it.

Last edited:

Yes, I meant "partisan". He will probably be heavily censored by his advisors, and will read from script. The question is, will his later tweets get the best of him? It has to be a thankless job to be a Trump campaign manager. They work so hard to suppress his latest stupid comment (i.e. ingesting lysol), only to have another damaging tweet emerge.

Depends what he says, and to whom.
When the crap was hitting the fan in Seattle I was grousing that Trump should be going there instead of across the street to wave a bible on church steps. I was actually disappointed that Biden didn't go to Seattle and/or Portland to speak.
If he handles this right he might actually do some good. Not that I want his image to improve, but going to a hot spot is something a President should do.

Eh... Firstly, that would require the cooperation of folks on the left. More likely is that the President coming to town will bring in a whole other layer of angry protestors.

Secondly, though, I mean, what do you honestly think the odds are that Trump handles this well?

Trump plans visit to Kenosha, Wisconsin, after Jacob Blake shooting

So we'll see some riots and shootings?

Thanks, Trump.

Eh... Firstly, that would require the cooperation of folks on the left. More likely is that the President coming to town will bring in a whole other layer of angry protestors.

Secondly, though, I mean, what do you honestly think the odds are that Trump handles this well?

He’s going to tell the protesters, “Everybody, I understand your frustration. I feel your frustration, and I feel your pain. Look, I understand why many Americans are down on government. The way the rules have been set up and abused in Congress make it easy for special interests to stop progress. Believe me, I know. I understand why a white factory worker who’s seen his wages cut or his job shipped overseas might feel like the government no longer looks out for him, and why a Black mother might feel like it never looked out for her at all. I understand why a new immigrant might look around this country and wonder whether there’s still a place for him here; why a young person might look at politics right now, the circus of it all, the meanness and the lies and crazy conspiracy theories and think, what’s the point? And the point is that this is not the way to fix things. Vote. Vote this November, and you will empower yourself through representative government, like many generations before you in this grand and often imperfect experiment we call America. We’re all tired and worn out, but I promise you we will work together, and we will make this right, because your voices are heard.”

He’s going to tell the protesters, “Everybody, I understand your frustration. I feel your frustration, and I feel your pain. Look, I understand why many Americans are down on government. The way the rules have been set up and abused in Congress make it easy for special interests to stop progress. Believe me, I know. I understand why a white factory worker who’s seen his wages cut or his job shipped overseas might feel like the government no longer looks out for him, and why a Black mother might feel like it never looked out for her at all. I understand why a new immigrant might look around this country and wonder whether there’s still a place for him here; why a young person might look at politics right now, the circus of it all, the meanness and the lies and crazy conspiracy theories and think, what’s the point? And the point is that this is not the way to fix things. Vote. Vote this November, and you will empower yourself through representative government, like many generations before you in this grand and often imperfect experiment we call America. We’re all tired and worn out, but I promise you we will work together, and we will make this right, because your voices are heard.”
"raises eyebrow"

Well, I guess we will see.

Last edited:
"raises eyebrow"

Well, I guess we will see.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It’s a bit overly complex. I think it’s more likely he’ll say something like this:

“Protesting brutality is a right and absolutely necessary, but burning down communities is not protest. It's needless violence. Violence that endangers lives, violence that guts businesses and shutters businesses that serve the community. That's wrong. In the midst of this pain, the wisest words that I've heard spoken so far have come from Julia Jackson, Jacob's mother. She looked at the damage done in her community and she said this, quote ‘This doesn't reflect my son or my family.’ So let's unite, and heal, do justice, end the violence, and systemic racism in this country now.”

Yeah, I see what you mean. It’s a bit overly complex. I think it’s more likely he’ll say something like this:

“Protesting brutality is a right and absolutely necessary, but burning down communities is not protest. It's needless violence. Violence that endangers lives, violence that guts businesses and shutters businesses that serve the community. That's wrong. In the midst of this pain, the wisest words that I've heard spoken so far have come from Julia Jackson, Jacob's mother. She looked at the damage done in her community and she said this, quote ‘This doesn't reflect my son or my family.’ So let's unite, and heal, do justice, end the violence, and systemic racism in this country now.”

..I can see him reading something like that from a teleprompter, I suppose. I think it equally likely he won't want to describe police violence as "brutality", though, and will end by riffing on "the Thugs", etc.

GOP rips Obama after Dallas shooting - POLITICO

Obummer the worst President in the USA history

Huh. Obama’s response to the terrible shooting of police officers: “Today is a wrenching reminder of the sacrifices that police officers make for us. We also know that when people are armed with powerful weapons, unfortunately it makes attacks like these more deadly and more tragic. And in the days ahead, we’re going to have to consider those realities as well.”

The fact that this statement set off Republicans says a lot more about Republicans than it does about Obama.

:lamo:lamo

In what universe would Trump say something like that. Even his speech writers don't write stuff like that.

..I can see him reading something like that from a teleprompter, I suppose. I think it equally likely he won't want to describe police violence as "brutality", though, and will end by riffing on "the Thugs", etc.

But by simply acknowledging that police brutality exists (he doesn’t even have to admit that it’s especially common, let alone the norm), he’ll be extending an olive branch to protesters, who only want their concerns to be heard. In this way, he’ll successfully defuse the tension and we can all exhale as the protests and rioting finally settle down, and we can get back to normal (insofar as the pandemic will allow).

But by simply acknowledging that police brutality exists (he doesn’t even have to admit that it’s especially common, let alone the norm), he’ll be extending an olive branch to protesters, who only want their concerns to be heard. In this way, he’ll successfully defuse the tension and we can all exhale as the protests and rioting finally settle down, and we can get back to normal (insofar as the pandemic will allow).

.... Well, he could. But I honestly don't think that's his intent or style, nor do I think the protestors or the rioters simply want to Be Heard.

But, we will see.

Last edited:
:lamo:lamo

In what universe would Trump say something like that. Even his speech writers don't write stuff like that.

I assure you that when Trump goes to Kenosha, he will bring healing with him.

So much irony in your posts lately. [emoji38]
Well, the Biden quotes are entertaining. They didn't have the impact he's claiming they will when they came from Biden, but :shrug: hey, maybe they will, once they come from Trump, and he can come in here and laugh at is and tell us all He Told Us So :)

Back
Top Bottom