• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump plans to make Democrats an offer to end shutdown, not declare national emergency, in Saturday

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Full article title: Trump plans to make Democrats an offer to end shutdown, not declare national emergency, in Saturday speech, official says

(CNN)President Donald Trump plans to offer Democrats another proposal to end the shutdown when he addresses the nation from the White House on Saturday afternoon -- what officials are describing as his third offer to end the shutdown, according to a senior administration official.

The official told CNN that Trump's idea is to put something on the table to get Democrats to engage with negotiations. Trump is not expected to back down from his demand for a border wall, but the plan will seek to entice Democrats by offering other concessions.

Source: (CNN) Trump plans to make Democrats an offer to end shutdown, not declare national emergency, in Saturday speech, official says

Alright, with CNN citing a "senior administration official here - I'm a bit suspect. My suspicion is this will be little of substance in the way of "an offer". It will likely be an "offer" to negotiate in a manner politically advantageous for Trump.

But hey, who knows? If it gets dialogue going, it's a good thing right?

So, what do you think?

Last edited:
Full article title: Trump plans to make Democrats an offer to end shutdown, not declare national emergency, in Saturday speech, official says

Source: (CNN) Trump plans to make Democrats an offer to end shutdown, not declare national emergency, in Saturday speech, official says

Alright, with CNN citing a "senior administration official here - I'm a bit suspect. My suspicion is this will be little of substance in the way of "an offer". It will likely be an "offer" to negotiate in a manner politically advantageous for Trump.

So, what do you think?

What do I think? I hope he is sincere, and I hope he doesn't think that ****ing with them some more will increase his chances of succeeding with the hostage drama.
If he is even a bit sincere, then sure...okay, let's make a deal.
Central to this deal however must be a pledge to never pull this stunt again, EVER.

If we're right back here again in another 32 days, screw it...let the "next" shutdown last until November 2020 if need be...screw it and screw him and screw McConnell. By that time, the damage has already been done, people will have moved on and found whatever employment they can and we're susceptible to whatever long term consequences the shutdown causes, and it will fall on Trump and the Republicans for sure.

But if he's really serious about trying to make a mutually beneficial deal that includes immediate and long term reopening of the government, then fine.

What do I think? I hope he is sincere, and I hope he doesn't think that ****ing with them some more will increase his chances of succeeding with the hostage drama.
If he is even a bit sincere, then sure...okay, let's make a deal.
Central to this deal however must be a pledge to never pull this stunt again, EVER.

If we're right back here again in another 32 days, screw it...let the "next" shutdown last until November 2020 if need be...screw it and screw him and screw McConnell. By that time, the damage has already been done, people will have moved on and found whatever employment they can and we're susceptible to whatever long term consequences the shutdown causes, and it will fall on Trump and the Republicans for sure.

But if he's really serious about trying to make a mutually beneficial deal that includes immediate and long term reopening of the government, then fine.
Yeah man, I'm torn on this.

It's my natural nature to be a compromiser. I think independently and draw my own conclusions in life, but when faced with conflict with others I try to be fair and accommodating. However here, I'm torn because I do not agree with compromising with hostage or ransom taking - EVER.

I'm trying to get around my hostage taking mantra, by looking at "political realities" and "the greater good". But, it ain't easy!

Any acceptable compromise will have to include DACA protections. Republican Senators might not go for that, though.

My thought is that Trump has been exceptionally reasonable during all of this, and now apparently he continues his good behavior, which should be rewarded if we want to see more of it.

There must be fairness in the games otherwise instead of having games this society breaks down in to violence and chaos.

With as mentally ill as we are now and with as much firepower is out there that will really suck.

Any acceptable compromise will have to include DACA protections. Republican Senators might not go for that, though.
You only need 13 of them for a deal.

Graham, Gardner, Murkowski, Collins, McSally, Tillis, and Ernst have all openly supported DACA protections, so that leaves only half a dozen clowns to flip.

Yeah man, I'm torn on this.

It's my natural nature to be a compromiser. I think independently and draw my own conclusions in life, but when faced with conflict with others I try to be fair and accommodating. However here, I'm torn because I do not agree with compromising with hostage or ransom taking - EVER.

I'm trying to get around my hostage taking mantra, by looking at "political realities" and "the greater good". But, it ain't easy!
Chomsky, if there's one thing that's certain, it's that Republicans are going to think twice before playing one of these games again.

No matter what they get, they've turned 58% (at least) of the public against them for a long time. This shutdown is different from ones of past. Because of the changing of majority controls in Congress, people were paying more attention to DC than normal, and were actually able to see how unreasonable Republicans were being in real time. When Trump said "It will be MY shutdown, I will take the mantle!" in front of the press, the public was listening, and a large majority were pissed off.

Nothing they get will undue that damage.

Even if the Democrats gave away the store (which I doubt at this point) they'll be the heroes, because the public WILL see them as the ones to end the shutdown.

My hunch is that when everything is said and done, the Democrats will give Trump a border security package that includes minimal wall funding.

Chomsky, if there's one thing that's certain, it's that Republicans are going to think twice before playing one of these games again.

No matter what they get, they've turned 58% (at least) of the public against them for a long time. This shutdown is different from ones of past. Because of the changing of majority controls in Congress, people were paying more attention to DC than normal, and were actually able to see how unreasonable Republicans were being in real time. When Trump said "It will be MY shutdown, I will take the mantle!" in front of the press, the public was listening, and a large majority were pissed off.

Even if the Democrats gave away the store (which I doubt at this point) they'll be the heroes, because the public WILL see them as the ones to end the shutdown.

My hunch is that when everything is said and done, the Democrats will give Trump a border security package that includes minimal wall funding.
Yeah, some type of Wall for DACA deal seems eminent.

The only thing is, will the Dems insist on immediately opening the gov to negotiate? I say yes; Pelosi knows she's got him by the balls.

yeah, some type of 100 foot of chicken wire for daca deal seems eminent.

The only thing is, will the dems insist on immediately opening the gov to negotiate? I say yes; pelosi knows she's got him by the balls.
fify.

Don't forget, Trump is the negotiator.

Yeah, some type of Wall for DACA deal seems eminent.

The only thing is, will the Dems insist on immediately opening the gov to negotiate? I say yes; Pelosi knows she's got him by the balls.

And this is the deal Trump should have struck a month ago. Punt the wall, his base will forget and he doesn't really want it. All he has to do is show some perceived magnimanity and claim victory to get the govt started again, his ego survives.

No, if the democrats concede on the wall the opposite will happen because then the question will be next election “why didn’t you just concede to avoid a shutdown in the first place”

So, what do you think?

I think CNN's paid "official", Joe the Janitor, is giving CNN what they want so they can sell their viewpoint. CNN would be better off if they just wait and see what Trump says.

In any case, Sanders already said what Trump is going to do:

Asked specifically whether the humanitarian and national security crisis at the border constituted a national emergency, Sanders again declined to comment.

"Again, I'm not getting ahead of the President. He'll make that announcement tomorrow afternoon. I suggest everybody tune in," she said.

So, what do you think?

Trump seems unbending. The democrats seem unbending. Trump will get the border security improvement with or without them. That is one of the biggest projects tens of millions of patriotic Americans hired him to get done in the first place.

So, what do you think?

No amnesty deal will be made because not only will people not show up to vote for Trumps re-election they wont show up and vote for their Republican senator. Amnesty deal on DACA can only be had after a wall is already built or with a big immigration reform bill. Both are not likely to happen for at least a while. If Trump caves on the wall tomorrow, himself and the Republicans lose elections massively in 2020. So the only thing they can do is get a compromised bill that Democrats vote for that also has money for his wall or a national emergency announcement.

No amnesty deal will be made because not only will people not show up to vote for Trumps re-election they wont show up and vote for their Republican senator. Amnesty deal on DACA can only be had after a wall is already built or with a big immigration reform bill. Both are not likely to happen for at least a while. If Trump caves on the wall tomorrow, himself and the Republicans lose elections massively in 2020. So the only thing they can do is get a compromised bill that Democrats vote for that also has money for his wall or a national emergency announcement.

Trump has already attempted the "compromise" route. Chuck and Nancy just say no...and leave town.

That only leaves one possible course of action: National emergency.

Of course, the Dems will howl when he does that. All Trump has to do is point to the hundreds of thousands of government workers who's lives will be getting back to normal. That'll make him the good guy.

My thought is that Trump has been exceptionally reasonable during all of this, and now apparently he continues his good behavior, which should be rewarded if we want to see more of it.

There must be fairness in the games otherwise instead of having games this society breaks down in to violence and chaos.

With as mentally ill as we are now and with as much firepower is out there that will really suck.

What a total load of horse **** you just posted. Completely FAILING to understand the situation, wow, just wow, I think I've lost 1% of my itelligence for the day just having read that garbage!:roll:

Trump has already attempted the "compromise" route. Chuck and Nancy just say no...and leave town.

That only leaves one possible course of action: National emergency.

Of course, the Dems will howl when he does that. All Trump has to do is point to the hundreds of thousands of government workers who's lives will be getting back to normal. That'll make him the good guy.

Retard comprmise? Give me what I want or else?:roll:

Nope, Trump isn't coming out of this with any positive momentum because he was SOLELY responsible for his tantrum in the first place. UNsurprising you are completely unable to assess the situaion accurately, I mean it is you, master Trump felator at all costs, you never get ANYTHING right regarding TRump.:roll:

And this is the deal Trump should have struck a month ago. Punt the wall, his base will forget and he doesn't really want it. All he has to do is show some perceived magnimanity and claim victory to get the govt started again, his ego survives.

his base doesnt want it? He won election based on this. If he doesnt seal that border soon, hes a one term president.

his base doesnt want it? He won election based on this. If he doesnt seal that border soon, hes a one term president.

He's a one termer at best PERIOD. Anyoner paying even the littlest bit of attention around here can see that. He likely can't even finish one.

He's a one termer at best PERIOD. Anyoner paying even the littlest bit of attention around here can see that. He likely can't even finish one.

sorta like when you guys said he wouldnt make the debates, then you claimed he will never be the candidate, then you claimed he had no path to victory as you touted the electorals in our faces at 6 pm on election day, then by midnight you were sky crying, and the next morning you were actively debating the removal of the electoral college. Sorta like that prediction?

sorta like when you guys said he wouldnt make the debates, then you claimed he will never be the candidate, then you claimed he had no path to victory as you touted the electorals in our faces at 6 pm on election day, then by midnight you were sky crying, and the next morning you were actively debating the removal of the electoral college. Sorta like that prediction?

No, just facts. He won by fluke at best and hgas only hmooraged support. I know you're not able to think through the lizard brain so....:shrug: Get back to your rehgularly scheduled fearmongering!

If Trump has an idea to help end the shutdown I applaud it and would love to hear it.

Having said that, this is a hopeless narcissist attempting to show the nation he is the knight in shining armor riding to solve a crisis that he himself is responsible for in the first place. The polls are against him and he knows he is losing.

The right and proper way to do this is to formally request the leaders of the House and Senate to meet with him to privately hear his idea followed by negotiations.

Making it a public stunt like this tells us everything we need to know about it phony nature designed to take Trumps fatty bacon out of the flames.

So, what do you think?

The Republicans came down from $25B to $5.7B. **** the Democrats; they aren't serious AT ALL about border security.

Of course the Bull ****ter in chief wants to grandstand for more media attention. Why make an offer to the Democrats via public announcement instead of picking up the phone and calling them? Yeah, so he can grandstand.

All Trump cares about is money, his image and a hot chick on his arm.

This is a game to him.

Back
Top Bottom