• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Ordered Mueller Fired, but Backed Off When White House Counsel Threatened to Quit

vash1012

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

"President Trump ordered the firing last June of Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation, according to four people told of the matter, but ultimately backed down after the White House counsel threatened to resign rather than carry out the directive."

HO BOY.

This lawyer is a hero to the American people for having the integrity to push back on this. Good for him.

Whether or not you think this investigation is worth while, you have to be bothered by this. There was no reason in June to even consider such a thing. Firing him would have been a political and ethical sh** show, not just here, but world wide. What person in their right mind would even consider it? Also its just another example of how frequently this president lies considering hes denied he ever thought about it.

Last edited:
Holy... ... a month after dismissing Comey he was already going to take out Mueller? What's he hiding?

From everything I've been looking at lately, something enormous is going down in the next month or so. I can't wait!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

"President Trump ordered the firing last June of Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation, according to four people told of the matter, but ultimately backed down after the White House counsel threatened to resign rather than carry out the directive."

HO BOY.

This lawyer is a hero to the American people for having the integrity to push back on this. Good for him.

Whether or not you think this investigation is worth while, you have to be bothered by this. There was no reason in June to even consider such a thing. Firing him would have been a political and ethical sh** show, not just here, but world wide. What person in their right mind would even consider it? Also its just another example of how frequently this president lies considering hes denied he ever thought about it.

I seem to recall that I started to think about a Trump impeachment/indictment to take place before Q1 2018 ends around the time Manafort got the deal. Looks like my prediction is coming more true every single day.

This time I'll say, "Wait and see." This article seems a little too good to be true.

there is no ****ing collusion .................

This time I'll say, "Wait and see." This article seems a little too good to be true.
Maggie Haberman and Michael Schmidt do good work and have terrific access to the President. If anything, this led them to be critiqued by liberals for being "too friendly" to the President.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I seem to recall that I started to think about a Trump impeachment/indictment to take place before Q1 2018 ends around the time Manafort got the deal. Looks like my prediction is coming more true every single day.
Don't go too far, man.

It'll be an interesting spring and summer no matter what way or no way this investigation breaks. But don't get your hopes up.

Maggie Haberman and Michael Schmidt do good work and have terrific access to the President. If anything, this led them to be critiqued by liberals for being "too friendly" to the President.

That's good. I see it's being reported everywhere. And, they do have four sources. So, one has to give it validity. Man, Trump is in one giant mess.

And you don't have any problem with the impropriety of firing the people investigating you to see if there was an collusion? One appointed by our own administration and another a director in your administration?

He's mocking the no collusion crowd. ;)

He's mocking the no collusion crowd. ;)
Well, liberals have become altogether way too convinced something of that sort did happen. We are officially sashaying in that direction, but we only know there was *interest* in securing connections and information.

HO BOY.

Shades of Nixon and the Saturday Night Massacre!

Well, liberals have become altogether way too convinced something of that sort did happen. We are officially sashaying in that direction, but we only know there was *interest* in securing connections and information.

I don't even care if they prove collusion or not. I want him nailed for money laundering and obstruction of justice, plus perhaps a few perjury charges against Sessions, Kushner and Don Jr.

HO BOY.

Here we go again...

NYT says four people were told (by someone) that something happened.

Who are the four people? Who is the "by someone"?

Why in the hell would anyone believe something that is, at best, nothing but rumors?

Dismissed

Here we go again...

Why in the hell would anyone believe something that is, at best, nothing but rumors?

Dismissed
Reporting, how does it work?
b58727b4710de35f04e7ef15334ac04a.jpg

Here we go again...

Dismissed

Defend the stable genius!

The conspiracy is and of itself a crime.

HO BOY.

Pity. June was a full half year before the totality of the Republican party coalesced around him. If he had fired Mueller then, we might very well have had a President Pence today. How you choose to see that is in the eye of the beholder. The short and long term benefits of that outcome would be nothing alike as far as this November looks.

Don't forget all the lying about their Russian connections. If there was nothing to hide then why did they lie so much?

There needs to be a "It's money laundering, yo" meme or gif by now.

Here we go again...

Dismissed

There are lots of people who are now outside the tent who have knowledge of this. You can engauge cognitive dissonance and not believe this inconvenient finding but you can bet your last dollar that the editor of the NYT wouldn't let this story run if the sources weren't rock-solid.

Be that as it may, if true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it means that Trump thinks he has enough to hide to be willing that fire the guy investigating his honesty.

Pity. June was a full half year before the totality of the Republican party coalesced around him. If he had fired Mueller then, we might very well have had a President Pence today. How you choose to see that is in the eye of the beholder. The short and long term benefits of that outcome would be nothing alike as far as this November looks.
No way. Early May the House passed the AHCA. In July the Senate is engaging in a vote-a-rama for the BCRA, AHCA, Skinny repeal, and GCHJ amendment to BCRA. August, Trump issues Fire and Fury remark.

While I doubt seriously the GOP Congress will impeach Trump, it's becoming more clear that Mueller will report him as being guilty of obstruction of justice and abuse of power.

The pattern is extensive and blatant enough for the case to be made, and rather easily I might add.

If that happens, the GOP will suffer an absolute bloodbath come November.

No way. Early May the House passed the AHCA. In July the Senate is engaging in a vote-a-rama for the BCRA, AHCA, Skinny repeal, and GCHJ amendment to BCRA.

As late as September a bill was being considered by Republicans to protect the Mueller investigation, and it wasn't until mid-December that the GOP began the all-out attack on the FBI and Mueller. I'm not saying that an impeachment would have happened, but I'm not saying it wouldn't have, either.

Here we go again...

Dismissed

The someone is probably the Council himself, and the four people are his friends.

Back
Top Bottom