• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump on Mosul operation not being a surprise attack

vash1012

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Twice this guy has brought up the Mosul operation being telegraphed for weeks in advance and said it should have been a surprise attack and he doesn't know any reason why you would announce an attack in advance.

This has got to be one of the most niave, idiotic things he's said in this campaign. A moderator having to incredulously explain military strategy to a presidential candidate who won't detail any of his own strategy because its a "secret" is something I never thought I'd see in a debate.

We are announcing this attack because its a civilian area and we want them to know so they can leave if possible or stay safe inside because we are not monsters. We announced the attack because its impossible to keep a 30,000 man army with heavy artillery a secret anyway, because it may encourage some IS fighters to leave the city, and because its allows us to openly coordinate with the various kurdish and tribal sunni factions which would have been impossible if we were trying to keep it a surprise. Seriously, Donald...Duh.

Donald Trump on IS: How important is surprise in Mosul? - BBC News

Twice this guy has brought up the Mosul operation being telegraphed for weeks in advance and said it should have been a surprise attack and he doesn't know any reason why you would announce an attack in advance.

This has got to be one of the most niave, idiotic things he's said in this campaign. A moderator having to incredulously explain military strategy to a presidential candidate who won't detail any of his own strategy because its a "secret" is something I never thought I'd see in a debate.

We are announcing this attack because its a civilian area and we want them to know so they can leave if possible or stay safe inside because we are not monsters. We announced the attack because its impossible to keep a 30,000 man army with heavy artillery a secret anyway, because it may encourage some IS fighters to leave the city, and because its allows us to openly coordinate with the various kurdish and tribal sunni factions which would have been impossible if we were trying to keep it a surprise. Seriously, Donald...Duh.

Like they don't know we are coming anyway too. ISIS has been booby trapping that city since they took it 2 years ago. It's a good thing Americans are not the ones on the ground this time. Thank-you Obama.

Donald Trump has displayed not only a full-throated disdain for policy, but a complete unwillingness to have one other than "what do I feel like doing today."

People actually think he should be president. What the hell. Anyone who supports Donald Trump for president, no matter their reason, is an idiot. Period, full stop.

It is naive to believe you shouldn't tell your enemy where and when you will attack them? Interesting. War is monstrous no matter what you do, but playing war with your heart is no way to win.

It is naive to believe you shouldn't tell your enemy where and when you will attack them? Interesting. War is monstrous no matter what you do, but playing war with your heart is no way to win.

It's naive to think its ALWAYS stupid to not try to maintain an element of surprise as he suggested multiple times. It WOULD be stupid to be relying on an element of surprise with a 30,000 man army with heavy artillery composed of multiple factions not centrally organized that will be approaching slowly on roads booby trapped with IEDs. Mosul is the last stronghold in Iraq. They've been preparing on both sides for months. Everyone knows this was coming. ISIS isn't stupid.

Donald Trump has displayed not only a full-throated disdain for policy, but a complete unwillingness to have one other than "what do I feel like doing today."

People actually think he should be president. What the hell. Anyone who supports Donald Trump for president, no matter their reason, is an idiot. Period, full stop.

While watching the debate(and I would like to once again bitch about the debate being scheduled at the same time as a Red Wings game, I missed alot of the debate, and alot of the game switching channels), I was taken aback repeatedly by Trump's complete and total lack of knowledge about foreign policy. He apparently thinks you can keep a large military force in the desert secret, that Japan and other countries give us basing rights in exchange for defense, what the intelligence community is saying, what the START treaty is called and what it does, and so on and so forth.

You have no clue whatsoever about anything related to the military, do you?

You have no clue whatsoever about anything related to the military, do you?

I'm not sure I care to listen to a navy boy. Why don't you go play with your buddies on your ship.

I'm not sure I care to listen to a navy boy. Why don't you go play with your buddies on your ship.

Way to try and not answer. Your military experience is what? Do you know how to keep a large military force a secret? Do you know anything at all about the military whatsoever?

Way to try and not answer. Your military experience is what? Do you know how to keep a large military force a secret? Do you know anything at all about the military whatsoever?

Why should I respect you exactly? I don't respect the navy, so be gone with you.

Why should I respect you exactly? I don't respect the navy, so be gone with you.

Why can't you answer simple questions? Why run and hide om your safe place when your views are challenged?

I do have to criticize Hillary on this issue. In neither debate did she attempt to rebuff his ridiculous claim. To uneducated people it might sound credible and there's a lot of uneducated people in this country.

I was smart enough to avoid it. I'm sorry if that offends you.

And yet you are unable to answer simple questions, instead running away when challenged.

Henrin, there really aren't any other major targets that the operations on the ground could logically be targeting. You don't amass troops in the numbers that have been to attack some tiny hamlet in the desert. ISIS knows that Mosul is the crucial piece of the puzzle. They've been expecting an attack--- they just don't know from where or when, which, I might reminder you, is the crucial part of secrecy.

I can only hope you have nothing to do with military strategy and planning.

I was smart enough to avoid it. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Oh really? I highly doubt that. More likely no service branch would have been willing to take you.

And this^ is the mentality of the Trump supporter. Nothing more need be said.

Oh really? I highly doubt that. More likely no service branch would have been willing to take you.

I didn't even try to enter the military. If I would have been accepted or not is something we will never know.

Oh and yes, it is rather stupid to sign up for the military. Frankly I can't even think of one thing about it that I would like to experience.

I didn't even try to enter the military. If I would have been accepted or not is something we will never know.

Oh and yes, it is rather stupid to sign up for the military. Frankly I can't even think of one thing about it that I would like to experience.

Based on what we've seen of your posting history and some of the **** you've said, one can make an educated guess. Nobody would have taken you.

You know what's really stupid? Pontificating on matters that you know very little about, and then when somebody who actually knows about the subject attempts to inform you about the facts of life going on your usual meltdown.

Rather fittingly, you are case in point as to why people like you will never gain power.

donald trump has displayed not only a full-throated disdain for policy, but a complete unwillingness to have one other than "what do i feel like doing today."

people actually think he should be president. What the hell. Anyone who supports donald trump for president, no matter their reason, is an idiot. Period, full stop.

did he announce us response time for nuclear launch on live tv

I'm not a Trump supporter.

Are you going to answer the questions posed to you? Since you know more than others, why not sure that wisdom with us?

Back
Top Bottom