• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump On Constitution: It Doesn't Necessarily Give Us The Right To Commit Suicide

Donald Trump commenting on the Constitution is as funny as Barack Obama commenting on the Constitution. Neither care for something they didn't write. I honestly don't think either one has read it.

Donald Trump commenting on the Constitution is as funny as Barack Obama commenting on the Constitution. Neither care for something they didn't write. I honestly don't think either one has read it.

The constitutional law professor has not read the Constitution.
That's right up there with Marxist Muslim terrorist and lizard people.

The constitutional law professor has not read the Constitution.
That's right up there with Marxist Muslim terrorist and lizard people.

You have to love suckers. He wasn't a Constitutional Law Professor. That was just another lie. He was an instructor but he didn't teach Contitutional Law. That would have required being familiar with the Constitution. He taught what was wrong with the Constitution from a Marxist perspective. He didn't have to read the Constitution for that. He just read articles written by leftists who, perhaps, had read the Constitution.

For a quick view of President Obama's grasp of the Constitution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzodV1c3vg

You have to love suckers. He wasn't a Constitutional Law Professor. That was just another lie. He was an instructor but he didn't teach Contitutional Law. That would have required being familiar with the Constitution. He taught what was wrong with the Constitution from a Marxist perspective. He didn't have to read the Constitution for that. He just read articles written by leftists who, perhaps, had read the Constitution.

For a quick view of President Obama's grasp of the Constitution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzodV1c3vg

You think He taught what was wrong with the Constitution from a Marxist perspective and who's the sucker?

Is he a Marxist Muslim terrorist from Kenya as well? Is he the AntiChrist? How about one of the lizard people? What a load.

Was wondering if anyone else noticed this bit from The Donald when he was interviewed on 60 Minutes. It is clear that he has a big enough ego to disregard Constitutional restrictions when in office. Shouldn't this concern constitutional conservatives?

He's also a narcissistic nitwit like the current President. The Constitution gives us no rights. It seeks to protect our rights as Americans from the government and dickheads who get elected. People like President Obama, Sen. Clinton, and Mr. Trump think they can "rule" America.

Wait, Trump isn't a champion of republicanism and the constitution?

Mr. Trump, or whatever alias he chooses to use, is a lifelong liberal Democrat, liar, huckster, and deadbeat. His one talent is fleecing suckers. If it wasn't the middle of the summer the Trumpkins would be feeling chilly. Let's hope for an early fall.

The Constitution does not give us the Right To Commit Suicide, does it?

In a few States you have the right to lawfully end your life. If you live
in a State that finds suicide is illegal and the police, EMS, medical folks
have reason to believe that you want to hurt yourself the state will force you
to receive mental assistance and that could include involuntary commitment into
a mental health institute for emergency psychiatric evaluation.

Was wondering if anyone else noticed this bit from The Donald when he was interviewed on 60 Minutes. It is clear that he has a big enough ego to disregard Constitutional restrictions when in office. Shouldn't this concern constitutional conservatives?

Probably not. Obama doing so didn't bother the democrats.

president after president, have cast the constitution aside...Grover Cleveland was the last constitutional president.

You think He taught what was wrong with the Constitution from a Marxist perspective and who's the sucker?

Is he a Marxist Muslim terrorist from Kenya as well? Is he the AntiChrist? How about one of the lizard people? What a load.

The sucker who thought he was a Constitutional Law professor. Of course, the rest of your post is simply tripe. Did you enjoy it?

So, Harvard University then?

"Statement Regarding Barack Obama
The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer."

From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined."
Media Inquiries | University of Chicago Law School

So, you "consider" him a professor although he wasn't. Do you also consider him a uniter?

The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer."

From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined."

So, you "consider" him a professor although he wasn't. Do you also consider him a uniter?

So, a "sucker" is someone who considers him a law professor when his real title was "senior lecturer" because he didn't have time to be a full time professor.

Oh, I'm so sure you know ever so much more about the Constitution than any mere "senior lecturer" at Harvard University ever would.

I honestly don't think he's read the Constitution, much less understands it. But, maybe that's just me.

Over the years I am not sure all of the Supreme Court judges understands the Constitution. If they all did, we would not have split votes on issues being addressed.

So it is not surprising a lay person may have interpretations the SC would not agree with. or at least some of them:mrgreen:

anyone who claims to be a teacher of constitutional law or a USSC judge would have to have read the federalist papers.

the federalist state clearly the federal government has no powers concerning the people lives liberty and property, and they cannot be regulated by the federal government.

He's trying to mess with the Left's gun control statistics. :lol:

This is an odd conversation over a title. There is no doubt that students thought of Obama as a professor and almost certainly called him, "Professor Obama."

My Criminal Procedure I professor was an attorney who worked mostly capital cases, and was partly retired. His official title was "visiting professor." My Criminal Procedure II professor was (and still is) a sitting superior court judge, also with the title of "visiting professor." The point is that the title means little because whether one is called a visiting or adjunct professor or "senior lecturer," they're still performing the same job as a professor with full tenure. And in my experience, title distinctions among all law professors don't mean a whole lot, if anything at all, in terms of ability to teach.

The fact is that Obama taught the law and must have done so competently. What this means is that he possesses an intimate and detailed knowledge of Constitutional law and its theories, history, and principles. Whatever title he had is irrelevant.

anyone who claims to be a teacher of constitutional law or a USSC judge would have to have read the federalist papers.

the federalist state clearly the federal government has no powers concerning the people lives liberty and property, and they cannot be regulated by the federal government.

That's so wrong for so many reasons, that it's not worth enumerating. It's like someone's presented someone else with a giant blank canvass ten feet wide by ten feet high, handed them a set of water colors and said, "Here, paint a picture of wrongness."

That's so wrong for so many reasons, that it's not worth enumerating. It's like someone's presented someone else with a giant blank canvass ten feet wide by ten feet high, handed them a set of water colors and said, "Here, paint a picture of wrongness."

sorry no... its correct......read the federalist..... which any constitutional teacher or judge who have had to read.

federalist 45......Madison

federalist 84....... Hamilton

Over the years I am not sure all of the Supreme Court judges understands the Constitution. If they all did, we would not have split votes on issues being addressed.

So it is not surprising a lay person may have interpretations the SC would not agree with. or at least some of them:mrgreen:

I feel that the differences between Justices is more of a difference in whether the wording of the Constitution has stood and still stands the test of time and cultural changes and should be interpreted according to what the actual text states without outside or extraneous influence regarding cultural or technological changes being that the text applies equally to previous and subsequent cultural changes or technological changes regardless of those changes as a bulwark to preserve a nation of law and not of men (Textualists), or those that interpret the meaning of the Constitution by trying to discover the original meaning or intent of the Constitution and to apply such interpretations of the meanings and intent of antiquity to contemporary law (Originalists), versus those that believe that the Constitution should be interpreted as a living breathing document that must adapt to cultural fluctuations rather than being the bulwark of our system of laws against the always changing whims of political and cultural popularity (Non-Originalists).

I truly don't feel, as I said before, that Trump has not read the Constitution, or even if had at some point, that he doesn't truly understand it's meaning. However, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he may be a Non-Originalist that has a difficult time expressing his opinion and/or a Populist that's just winging it.

That's just my opinion, however.

what?

concern us MORE than Hillary?

are you kidding?

Trump is a buffoon...a complete ass

But he is STILL better than Hillary every day of the week, and TWICE on Sundays

You need to do better than this....

I feel that the differences between Justices is more of a difference in whether the wording of the Constitution has stood and still stands the test of time and cultural changes and should be interpreted according to what the actual text states without outside or extraneous influence regarding cultural or technological changes being that the text applies equally to previous and subsequent cultural changes or technological changes regardless of those changes as a bulwark to preserve a nation of law and not of men (Textualists), or those that interpret the meaning of the Constitution by trying to discover the original meaning or intent of the Constitution and to apply such interpretations of the meanings and intent of antiquity to contemporary law (Originalists), versus those that believe that the Constitution should be interpreted as a living breathing document that must adapt to cultural fluctuations rather than being the bulwark of our system of laws against the always changing whims of political and cultural popularity (Non-Originalists).

I truly don't feel, as I said before, that Trump has not read the Constitution, or even if had at some point, that he doesn't truly understand it's meaning. However, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he may be a Non-Originalist that has a difficult time expressing his opinion and/or a Populist that's just winging it.

That's just my opinion, however.

You may be correct. In more recent times it seems that an individual SC judge votes pretty much along their party lines (i.e. political leanings).

I would image a vote on if suicide is a Constitutional right would follow pretty much along the SC Justices political views.

You may be correct. In more recent times it seems that an individual SC judge votes pretty much along their party lines (i.e. political leanings).

I would image a vote on if suicide is a Constitutional right would follow pretty much along the SC Justices political views.

In a way, probably. However, rather than political lines alone, I've found that the three basic categories I listed above fall pretty much within those political categories as well. As examples, and based solely on my opinion:

Scalia was a Textualist by his own admittance, although he also tended to lean toward Originalism at times as well.

Thomas is also, like Scalia was, a Textualist although he seems to be less of an originalist than Scalia was - as demonstrated by his opinion in McDonald v Chicago regarding the 14th Amendment's Privileges and Immunities Clause.

Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagen and Breyer, all tend to rule as Non-Originalists on most cases when ruling in favor of a positive position (such as what are defined as social justice positions in modern parlance), yet will from time to time place thoughts within their written opinion based on Originalist Intentionalism (defined below) if it helps to further their particular ruling when opining against rather than in favor of a position (as they tend to do with the 2nd Amendment rulings).

Roberts and Alito seem to me to be Originalists that vacillate between ruling as a Textualist or as an Intentionalist. I didn't discuss Intentionalsim in my earlier post because I feel it's a subcategory of Originalism. Although many feel that Textualism is a subcategory of Originalism as well, I feel Textualism is a completely separate category: An originalist who gives primary weight to the intentions of the Constitution's framers, members of it's proposing bodies, and it's ratifiers, is a Justice who could also be referred to as "an Intentionalist."

Kennedy tends to rule as an Textualist on personal rights and liberty issues, and a Non-Originalist on government powers granted by the Constitution to the Federal Government over the people - which is in many ways, a contradiction in thought and practice, but it allowed Kennedy to be the swing vote, or what some called the conscience of the court.

You can see from above, how the Progressives on the court align with the Non-Originalism thought process for the most part, and the Conservatives on the court align with Originalism and Textualism for the most part, with Kennedy moving between the two sides as he felt necessary.

Again, this is just my opinion. With no evidence other than that which is anecdotal in nature to substantiate my opinion.

I am concerned why is he thinking about suicide? Is he planning on killing the country?

Back
Top Bottom