• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump must think autoworkers are stupid

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

2020-09-11T044908Z_2_LYNXMPEG8A08V_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-TRUMP.jpg

9/11/20
Four years ago, candidate Donald Trump spent a lot of time in the homestretch promising to rescue the American coal industry. Today, America is home to precisely zero robust coal companies. You can look it up. We’re not hearing much about coal this time around. Instead, Trump is touting his love for the auto industry in swing-state Michigan. “You better vote for me, I got you so many damn car plants,” President Trump told a rally of supporters outside Detroit on Thursday. You’d never guess (or maybe you would, given Trump’s track record) that employment in the U.S. auto industry actually flattened, then started falling, on Trump’s watch. If his coal promises are any guide, then: Look out, below! This is not simply a function of the covid-19 crash. Employment in the U.S. auto manufacturing sector grew from 685,000 in August 2010 to 950,000 on the eve of the 2016 election — a gain of 265,000 jobs. The momentum continued into 2018, when employment in the sector peaked just shy of 1 million jobs. But then things started to sag. According to the Detroit Free Press, there were 2,400 fewer auto manufacturing jobs in Michigan in February of this year — that’s pre-pandemic — than there were when Trump took office.

That Trump is challenging Democratic nominee Joe Biden on car jobs is proof of either desperation or amnesia. The Obama administration, in which Biden served as a loyal vice president, weathered enormous criticism to bail out and restructure the American auto industry during its 2009 near-death experience. I should know — I was one of the critics. Despite my grumbling, the federal government ended up putting far less money into the deal than we feared while seeing better results than we predicted. And the domestic car business gained a new lease on life. Autoworkers in Michigan and elsewhere aren’t stupid. They know the story of their industry over the past decade. Trump’s bid to claim credit for auto jobs recalls the Chico Marx line from the movie “Duck Soup”: “Who you gonna believe — me, or your own eyes?” Recent polls suggest that voters may be increasingly skeptical of Trump’s self-proclaimed mastery over the economy. The “5 or even 6 percent” annual growth he promised in 2017 never materialized; his best year eked out 3 percent growth, and he will be very lucky if he finishes four years with any net growth at all. Trump’s defenders like to charge those of us in the reality-based community with rooting for failure. But I have high hopes for the economic future of the United States — hopes based on the productive energy of Americans, not the windbag of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Trumps wonderful economy has left him $1 billion dollars poorer than he was last winter. Talk about self-ownage!

Obama and Joe Biden rescued the auto industry during their first term. Under Trump's first term, the coal industry has disappeared.

Vote for Joe Biden.

And what has GM done since then? Continued to send jobs overseas.
What has Trump done to keep them here? Detroit, and Michigan as a whole, is worse off now than before Trump assumed office.

2020-09-11T044908Z_2_LYNXMPEG8A08V_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-TRUMP.jpg

Trumps wonderful economy has left him $1 billion dollars poorer than he was last winter. Talk about self-ownage!

Obama and Joe Biden rescued the auto industry during their first term. Under Trump's first term, the coal industry has disappeared.

Vote for Joe Biden.

The auto industry has ignored Trump's rollbacks on emissions and fuel efficiency and other regulations because they know that the customers don't want them and that they would be temporary.

Trump thinks anyone who isn't him is stupid. Let that be your yardstick.

Back
Top Bottom