• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump mulling use of disaster aid to fund border wall

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From CBS News

San Juan, Puerto Rico — Facing stiff resistance from congressional Democrats in negotiations to reopen the government, the White House is exploring other ways to fund President Trump's proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. A congressional aide told CBS News one option being discussed would divert federal funds meant to help Puerto Rico and several states hit by natural disasters.

That would follow the declaration of a national emergency to reopen shuttered parts of the government.

The White House has directed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to examine the possibility of using for border wall construction $13.9 billion the corps received in a February 2018 disaster relief bill, the aide said. The money was earmarked for relief measures for Puerto Rico and
California, Florida, Texas and other hard-hit states.

Another congressional aide raised concerns that reallocating the money might violate federal law.

COMMENT:-

When did they make the recreational use of marijuana legal in the White House?

Well, those folks are surrounded by “big water” and they have all the Bounty towels that they need.......:shock:

From CBS News

San Juan, Puerto Rico — Facing stiff resistance from congressional Democrats in negotiations to reopen the government, the White House is exploring other ways to fund President Trump's proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. A congressional aide told CBS News one option being discussed would divert federal funds meant to help Puerto Rico and several states hit by natural disasters.

That would follow the declaration of a national emergency to reopen shuttered parts of the government.

The White House has directed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to examine the possibility of using for border wall construction $13.9 billion the corps received in a February 2018 disaster relief bill, the aide said. The money was earmarked for relief measures for Puerto Rico and

Another congressional aide raised concerns that reallocating the money might violate federal law.

It is not something as harmless as smoking a joint or two. Its full blown mental illness causing the person to live in a delusional alternate reality of their own acceptance.

The emergency is not on our southern border. The emergency is in the White House.

See? Mexico is going to pay for it! No more money for "Mexico Island"!

From CBS News

LOL, the chants at the rallies....

"Whose going to pay for Trump's wall?"

"Disaster victims!"

It is not something as harmless as smoking a joint or two. Its full blown mental illness causing the person to live in a delusional alternate reality of their own acceptance.

I disagree.

Trump has demonstrated throughout his life that he could care less about anyone else, so long as he get's what he wants. And what Trump wants is to hear his base cheer as he claims "victory." Whether the wall actually gets built is a moot point for Trump imo. Whether disaster victims suffer is a moot point for Trump imo.

From CBS News

It gotta' be built & there are many things he's considering. Any port in a storm, right?

It gotta' be built & there are many things he's considering. Any port in a storm, right?

At a certain point, it's really easy to be pushed to an inevitable conclusion: If there is any justice in the world, ten natural disasters (and what the hell, let's throw a couple man-made ones in there while we're at it) will hit exclusively MAGA country, and those people will get no Federal disaster relief because all of it went into the wall.

But in reality, natural disasters hit non-MAGA country too, and so for that reason Trump will have to be fought tooth and nail.

I disagree.

Trump has demonstrated throughout his life that he could care less about anyone else, so long as he get's what he wants. And what Trump wants is to hear his base cheer as he claims "victory." Whether the wall actually gets built is a moot point for Trump imo. Whether disaster victims suffer is a moot point for Trump imo.

And that attitude - which I thoroughly agree embodies Trump perfectly - is as a result of his own self adopted mental illness brought on from extreme narcissism and a lack of any loyalty to anything other than his own momentary self interest.

I suggest we are talking about the same thing more or less.

I’ve lived in Texas my whole life, and a fair portion has been spent around Big Bend and in far west Texas. When all Trump’s campaign talk about a border wall started, visions of this area immediately came to mind. Anyone who has spent any time down there knows exactly what I’m talking about. Not only is that part of the border hundreds of miles of nothing, it’s also hundreds of miles from nowhere. Just getting the materials and laborers down there would be a logistical nightmare.

And that attitude - which I thoroughly agree embodies Trump perfectly - is as a result of his own self adopted mental illness brought on from extreme narcissism and a lack of any loyalty to anything other than his own momentary self interest.

I suggest we are talking about the same thing more or less.

Is this the second documented case of "Affluenza"?

Is this the second documented case of "Affluenza"?

Selfishness is as old as the human race. I have no doubt if Trump had been born in poverty and today was a car valet at a nightclub, he would still be the same narcissist with no principles he is today.

Selfishness is as old as the human race. I have no doubt if Trump had been born in poverty and today was a car valet at a nightclub, he would still be the same narcissist with no principles he is today.

You could well be right.

From CBS News

You people must be really scared that Trump is going to get his wall weather you like it or not...lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

At a certain point, it's really easy to be pushed to an inevitable conclusion: If there is any justice in the world, ten natural disasters (and what the hell, let's throw a couple man-made ones in there while we're at it) will hit exclusively MAGA country, and those people will get no Federal disaster relief because all of it went into the wall.

But in reality, natural disasters hit non-MAGA country too, and so for that reason Trump will have to be fought tooth and nail.

I agree it's incredibly irresponsible but he also knows that if a disaster DOES hit one of those areas, or any other, he and Congress will just approve appropriating funds from somewhere else and the people will support it because *that* need will be truly desperate and needed.

You people must be really scared that Trump is going to get his wall weather you like it or not...lol

Every day that passes Trump loses the argument that it's an emergency. Also, deliberating on when he will declare an emergency is itself a demonstration that it's not an emergency. Finally, the fact that he's supposedly waiting on how negotiations with Congress pans out is, again, an admission that it's not really an emergency. These are all arguments that would be used in court. He knows he will lose any court struggle, which is at least partly responsible for why he hasn't declared a state of emergency.

And of course, the House can't agree to give him his wall.

So no, I'm really not especially afraid that he'll build his wall, which by the way he's already abandoned and is now calling a "barrier."

https://www.debatepolitics.com/gene...democrats-cant-agree-give-trump-his-wall.html

Actually, personally, I'm more concerned about whether Mr. Trump actually complies with the laws of the United States of America with due regard for the spirit of the laws of the United States of America.

Obviously, your opinion differs from mine.

Back
Top Bottom