• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Moves to Deport Vietnam War Refugees

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
SUBHED: The White House again wants to expel certain groups of protected immigrants, a reversal after backing away from the policy months ago.

The Trump administration is resuming its efforts to deport certain protected Vietnamese immigrants who have lived in the United States for decades—many of them having fled the country during the Vietnam War.

This is the latest move in the president’s long record of prioritizing harsh immigration and asylum restrictions, and one that’s sure to raise eyebrows—the White House had hesitantly backed off the plan in August before reversing course. In essence, the administration has now decided that Vietnamese immigrants who arrived in the country before the establishment of diplomatic ties between the United States and Vietnam are subject to standard immigration law—meaning they are all eligible for deportation.

The new stance mirrors White House efforts to clamp down on immigration writ large, a frequent complaint of the president’s on the campaign trail and one he links to a litany of ills in the United States.

The administration last year began pursuing the deportation of many long-term immigrants from Vietnam, Cambodia, and other countries who the administration alleges are “violent criminal aliens.” But Washington and Hanoi have a unique 2008 agreement that specifically bars the deportation of Vietnamese people who arrived in the United States before July 12, 1995—the date the two former foes reestablished diplomatic relations following the Vietnam War.

The White House unilaterally reinterpreted the agreement in the spring of 2017 to exempt people convicted of crimes from its protections, allowing the administration to send back a small number of pre-1995 Vietnamese immigrants, a policy it retreated from this past August. Last week, however, a spokesperson for the U.S. embassy in Hanoi said the American government was again reversing course.

And the Trump administration's war on immigrants continues. What a bunch of scumbags.

This is, politically speaking, a really dumb move for Trump. Vietnamese refugees have voted overwhelmingly Republican for quite some time. I guess they can kiss Orange County goodbye forever.

SUBHED: The White House again wants to expel certain groups of protected immigrants, a reversal after backing away from the policy months ago.

And the Trump administration's war on immigrants continues. What a bunch of scumbags.

This is, politically speaking, a really dumb move for Trump. Vietnamese refugees have voted overwhelmingly Republican for quite some time. I guess they can kiss Orange County goodbye forever.

Thanks for posting this. Read about it previously, but with all the bad news trump creates it fell off the radar.
Hopefully good lawyers are on this. It is all kinds of wrong, per the agreements, and nothing but a hunger to deport while ignoring the laws/agreements

Much ado about nothing.

Those Vietnamese immigrants are NOT going anywhere.

It is President Trump who may be going, at the very least, back to his New York dwellings or -- as his enemies are planning -- to a federal prison.

The idea of deporting aliens who have committed serious crimes is a no brainer, but (sob) our President is in NO position to do anything of consequence. (The Democrats may even try to impeach the latest Supreme Court justice.)

My local paper tells me that some Vietnamese here in SoCal are marching in protest against deportation plans. They can relax. Everybody knows that NO Vietnamese refugee is going anywhere. Just as NO undocumented immigrant will be kept out of the States. They are a-coming, and there is nothing that President Trump can do.

His enemies (the media, academia, the Democratic Party, and the deep state) have won. As we all knew they would. 2019 and especially 2020 will be "Happy days are here again" for all the liberals.

Much ado about nothing.

Those Vietnamese immigrants are NOT going anywhere.

It is President Trump who may be going, at the very least, back to his New York dwellings or -- as his enemies are planning -- to a federal prison.

The idea of deporting aliens who have committed serious crimes is a no brainer, but (sob) our President is in NO position to do anything of consequence. (The Democrats may even try to impeach the latest Supreme Court justice.)

My local paper tells me that some Vietnamese here in SoCal are marching in protest against deportation plans. They can relax. Everybody knows that NO Vietnamese refugee is going anywhere. Just as NO undocumented immigrant will be kept out of the States. They are a-coming, and there is nothing that President Trump can do.

His enemies (the media, academia, the Democratic Party, and the deep state) have won. As we all knew they would. 2019 and especially 2020 will be "Happy days are here again" for all the liberals.
Question, would you like to see these Vietnamese refugees deported?

No, that's not the question. The question is about deporting those convicted of major crimes.

If I had my druthers (which, of course, I do not), I would like to see ALL non-citizens who have committed violent crime deported.

Of course, the in-coming Democratic president will not allow this.

And some countries (wisely) refuse to take back their bad citizens. So the American people are stuck with them.

Our dear and naïve President Trump is finding out that no merely elected president can gainsay the deep state.

I think people like Trump and through him that Stephen Miller creep (just looking at the slimy b@stard makes my skin crawl) are on a vendetta against minorities because of past rejections. Trump only ever got laid because of his money and when women turn him down despite his wealth, like Salma Hayek did, he probably wants to go after their entire ethnic group. Likewise I bet Stephen Miller got rejected by an Asian hottie in school and now he's got them in his sights.

Strongly disagree with this policy change.

Where is the link?

Back
Top Bottom