• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump made another extraordinary intervention into the American judicial system

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I do understand the Prez's point of view, and others who support this, but the thing is, when he injects himself into the
judicial process, he is promoting to others who may take law into their own hands that the president will intervene on your behalf and so it is okay to do so, to act as judge, jury, and executioner and that puts us further into chaos and dictatorship.

No matter how much you feel for this soldier who murdered a suspected bomb maker, the "suspect"
wasn't on the kill list, and so he acted as judge , jury and executioner and took the law into his own hands. This violates the law on more than one level. See, the thing is, law is the only thing that separates us from a totalitarian regime of men than a regime governed by laws. That being said, I don't see that this soldier deserves execution. War is chaotic, etc., and that is a good argument in his favor.

I don't know the actual specifics to render a judgement on him, and I think we, as America people, should give our soldiers the benefit of the doubt when the facts are not clear.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/us/politics/major-matt-golsteyn-trump.html?

As commander in chief, Mr. Trump immediately complicated the military’s case against Major Golsteyn, raising questions of undue command influence, as well as the possibility that the prosecution is bound to be short-circuited by a pardon. The president also left Afghans and others wondering whether they can expect justice if they are unfairly harmed by American forces.

“Major Golsteyn admitted to what appears to be a summary execution — a very serious crime under international law, and it is vital that the investigation go forward,” said Patricia Gossman, senior researcher for Afghanistan at Human Rights Watch. “There have been far too many cases of suspected killings by U.S. Special Forces units in Afghanistan where the results of investigations are never known and no one is prosecuted.”

To all moderators, please move this to the general discussion forum, thank you.

Please cite the "intervention" you madeup.

Back
Top Bottom