• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump loves Putin...

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Trump lavishes praise on Putin during Commander-in-Chief forum: ?He?s been a leader far more than our president has been a leader? - Salon.com
[FONT=&quot]“I think when he calls me brilliant I’ll take the compliment, but it’s not going to get him anywhere,” Trump responded. “If he says great things about me, I’m going to say great things about him[/FONT]

Saw this part of the interview this morning, and oh my god what a fanboy. This guy is a pro-Putin puppet and Americans want him as President?

Trump lavishes praise on Putin during Commander-in-Chief forum: ?He?s been a leader far more than our president has been a leader? - Salon.com

Saw this part of the interview this morning, and oh my god what a fanboy. This guy is a pro-Putin puppet and Americans want him as President?

That is probably a bit argumentative.

Given that word for word exchange between Trump and Matt Lauer, it seems more likely that Trump was using the comment more as an opportunity for a dig on Obama than some sort of pro-Putin position. It seems very unlikely that we could consider Trump a puppet for Russia.

Don't get me wrong, there are 100s of things to dislike about Trump's comments and political positions but this one seems like a stretch.

Given that word for word exchange between Trump and Matt Lauer, it seems more likely that Trump was using the comment more as an opportunity for a dig on Obama than some sort of pro-Putin position. It seems very unlikely that we could consider Trump a puppet for Russia.

Don't get me wrong, there are 100s of things to dislike about Trump's comments and political positions but this one seems like a stretch.

It is not the first time he has praised Putin. There is also substantial suspicion that he has gotten financial backing for his businesses from Russia.. if he released his tax returns then we could find out. Basically Trumps comments over the last few years, has shown a clear positive aspect in his view of Putin, which is in direct conflict with the GOP view (official) and of course US policy.

Trump-haters/Hillary lovers gotta spin whenever they can.

No matter how pathetic they look when they do it.

Anyone that utilizes the leader of a hostile state to fuel his partisanship and to undermine his opposing compatriots is filth, and those who support him are trash.

Did you know how much a fan of Putin Bill Clinton is?

Former President Bill Clinton described his relationship with Russian President Vladmir Putin as “brutally blunt,” and said Putin never reneged on a personal agreement between the two.
In an interview set to air on CNN’s Piers Morgan Live on Wednesday night, Clinton said that behind closed doors, Putin “kept his word in all the deals we made.”

“You know, look – Mr. Putin is very smart,” Clinton conceded.
“Smart and remarkably, um, we had a really good blunt relationship,” he said.
“Brutally blunt,” he added.

Clinton: Putin always kept his word | TheHill

Of course, you have to realize he couldn't very well be expected to trash Putin after his wife let him buy our Uranium.

It is not the first time he has praised Putin. There is also substantial suspicion that he has gotten financial backing for his businesses from Russia.. if he released his tax returns then we could find out. Basically Trumps comments over the last few years, has shown a clear positive aspect in his view of Putin, which is in direct conflict with the GOP view (official) and of course US policy.

All of that may be so... but I still consider it a stretch to suggest Trump is a Putin placed puppet for Russia.

There is plenty of room for debate on all the business relationships candidates have with various foreign nations, in some respects both Hillary and Trump reek of potential conflicts of interest at best and outright pay to play at worst.

However, US foreign policy in general no matter if we are talking about Bush 43 or Obama (and whomever is the next President) have put us on a collision course to a renewed Cold War with Russia (that I have often never really went away.) That of course is concern for a Trump candidacy, but I do not agree with the whole pro-Putin position some claim Trump has. Trump is too much of an egomaniac and narcissist anyway to allow any foreign leader to control him.

th
th
th
th
th

Watching both sit downs yesterday, the Putin thing was a big shrug for me and felt he did a halfway decent job of explaining it. He appreciates Putin as a strong leader, while disagreeing with how he's used his leadership at times or the system in which he functions within. It struck me similar to how you hear the allied Generals and Leaders would speak of their respect for Erwin Rommel. This, a man who was one of the early supporters of Hitler, led the blitzkrieg across France, committed acts that some say would make him a war criminal, and was the commanding officer over the region when the Ardenne Abbey Massacre occurred. However, that didn't mean one couldn't look and admire his military mind.

Nothing he said regarding Putin won me over, and the attacks at Obama as a contrast rang hollow and petty. But nothing about it struck me as significantly problematic.

Yes. You are quite right. He is right that Obama has messed up and plays international security without Putin's expertise and experience. But to idolize Putin is really dangerous and reminds me of stuff people in German parties like the SPD or Die Linke have been known to say; very much like Schröder, who has since cashed in rather nicely on his support for Putin.

On the other hand, praise the state leader of America's adversary to attack the president of US in a political debate, that is so Trump. Shame

My concern isn't that Trump is in Putin's pocket. I highly doubt that. My concern is that Trump believes Putin is a good example of what a world leader should be like.

This is a non-story. Is there a law that says no one is allowed to say anything good about Putin? Secondly, he's more just praising himself because what he's really talking about is Putin complementing him.

Funny how Trump can say very passively neutral to moderately positive things about Putin but ya'll don't give two ****s about Obama bowing to the king of Saudi Arabia. Oh the horror!

LAUER: He's also a guy who annexed Crimea, invaded Ukraine, supports Assad in Syria, supports Iran, is trying to undermine our influence in key regions of the world, and according to our intelligence community, probably is the main suspect for the hacking of the DNC computers.

TRUMP: Well, nobody knows that for a fact. But do you want me to start naming some of the things that President Obama does at the same time?

LAUER: But do you want to be complimented by that former KGB officer?

TRUMP: Well, I think when he calls me brilliant, I'll take the compliment, okay?
[...]
TRUMP: If he [Putin] says great things about me, I'm going to say great things about him.

No American should defend this. This is just wrong. This is indefensible.

This is a non-story. Is there a law that says no one is allowed to say anything good about Putin? Secondly, he's more just praising himself because what he's really talking about is Putin complementing him.

Funny how Trump can say very passively neutral to moderately positive things about Putin but ya'll don't give two ****s about Obama bowing to the king of Saudi Arabia. Oh the horror!

Actually this is one of the biggest stories of the entire political season. Many people have accused Trump of being a closet authoritarian ... a man who would place America on the road to a unique form of fascism which attacks and goes to war with our system of government. The comments about Putin proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Trump himself the greatest threat to freedom here in the USA.

He must never be President as it would possibly destroy this nation and prove disastrous for the American people.

Actually this is one of the biggest stories of the entire political season. Many people have accused Trump of being a closet authoritarian ... a man who would place America on the road to a unique form of fascism which attacks and goes to war with our system of government. The comments about Putin proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Trump himself the greatest threat to freedom here in the USA.

He must never be President as it would possibly destroy this nation and prove disastrous for the American people.

You sound just a little bit hyperbolic to me. Making outrageous claims that you are trying to justify by spinning the words of Trump.

For example:

"closet authoritarian"

What does this even mean...and how does it apply to Trump?

"place America on the road to a unique form of fascism which attacks and goes to war with our system of government."

What, exactly, do you mean by this...how does some comments about Putin lead you to believe this?

"proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Trump himself the greatest threat to freedom here in the USA."

Just saying this means nothing. Explain how his comments prove this, please.

As far as this being "one of the biggest stories of the entire political season.", I don't think so.

I think Trump's Immigration Reform Policy is a bigger story.

I think the numerous scandals that continuously plague Hillary are bigger stories.

Heck, I think the fact that a Trump Presidency...along with Republican control of Congress...will bring about the demise of the worst Democratic-enacted law in recent history (Obamacare) is a much bigger story that will have a more profound effect on the American People than your hyperbole about Trump's remarks about Putin.

Wait. I thought libertarians were the greatest threat to America. Now its Trump? How is this different than the Obama/Hillary 'Reset' with Russia or Obama whispering in Medvedevs ear about how he will have more freedom after re-election? This is nothing but more irrational Trump hating. If Trump says nice things about Putin then Trumps a fascist out to destroy America; if he calls Putin out for his bad behavior, Trump is a reckless nut putting us at risk for WWIII. :roll:

On the other hand, praise the state leader of America's adversary to attack the president of US in a political debate, that is so Trump. Shame
Russia isn't the enemy anymore. The Soviet Union dissolved a quarter century ago, and the Russian people freed themselves and their former client states. It was one of the most admirable voluntary abdications of power in human history. It's a shame the USFG hasn't been inspired by their noble example.

You sound just a little bit hyperbolic to me. Making outrageous claims that you are trying to justify by spinning the words of Trump.

For example:

"closet authoritarian"

What does this even mean...and how does it apply to Trump?

"place America on the road to a unique form of fascism which attacks and goes to war with our system of government."

What, exactly, do you mean by this...how does some comments about Putin lead you to believe this?

"proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Trump himself the greatest threat to freedom here in the USA."

Just saying this means nothing. Explain how his comments prove this, please.

As far as this being "one of the biggest stories of the entire political season.", I don't think so.

I think Trump's Immigration Reform Policy is a bigger story.

I think the numerous scandals that continuously plague Hillary are bigger stories.

Heck, I think the fact that a Trump Presidency...along with Republican control of Congress...will bring about the demise of the worst Democratic-enacted law in recent history (Obamacare) is a much bigger story that will have a more profound effect on the American People than your hyperbole about Trump's remarks about Putin.

Donald Trump expresses admiration for the leader of a nation which uses murder to stifle opposition to its leader so he can keep unchallenged control to the mechanisms of power in Russia.

Donald Trump expresses admiration for the leader of a nation which systematically attacks the press preventing them from doing their basic job so he can keep unchallenged control on the mechanisms of power in Russia.

Donald Trump expresses admiration for the leader of a nation which systematically attempts to interfere in the internal politics of other nations so he can gain advantage for himself and can keep unchallenged control of the mechanisms of power in Russia.

Putin is a unabashed authoritarian who has no respect for anything that does not directly benefit him and the use of his own power. Donald Trump admires him and that should send shivers of abject fright down the spines of every American.

To pretend otherwise is to aid and abet the authoritarian take over of the United States government and an act of war on the American people.

Wait. I thought libertarians were the greatest threat to America. Now its Trump? How is this different than the Obama/Hillary 'Reset' with Russia or Obama whispering in Medvedevs ear about how he will have more freedom after re-election? This is nothing but more irrational Trump hating. If Trump says nice things about Putin then Trumps a fascist out to destroy America; if he calls Putin out for his bad behavior, Trump is a reckless nut putting us at risk for WWIII. :roll:

Libertarianism is a great risk to America - but since the American people have rejected it at the ballot box it is at best a unused syringe of toxic poison laying on a table with no hand upon the plunger. Over time, that could well change.

Trump, on the other hand, has a real chance to gain the mechanisms of power in the USA and as such is a greater immediate danger right now.

The difference here being that one is a faux ideology bereft of leadership while the other is a individual bereft of true American principles. And right now in 2016 it is the individual who has the greatest actual real chance of taking the reins of power and is the more immediate threat to the American people.

Last edited:
Donald Trump expresses admiration for the leader of a nation which uses murder to stifle opposition to its leader so he can keep unchallenged control to the mechanisms of power in Russia.

Donald Trump expresses admiration for the leader of a nation which systematically attacks the press preventing them from doing their basic job so he can keep unchallenged control on the mechanisms of power in Russia.

Donald Trump expresses admiration for the leader of a nation which systematically attempts to interfere in the internal politics of other nations so he can gain advantage for himself and can keep unchallenged control of the mechanisms of power in Russia.

Putin is a unabashed authoritarian who has no respect for anything that does not directly benefit him and the use of his own power. Donald Trump admires him and that should send shivers of abject fright down the spines of every American.

To pretend otherwise is to aid and abet the authoritarian take over of the United States government and an act of war on the American people.

Chicken Little liberalism. Fearmongering: the only Hymn in the liberal playbook.

Chicken Little liberalism. Fearmongering: the only Hymn in the liberal playbook.

I have no idea what that means since everything I said about Putin and Trumps admiration for him is fact. Do you dispute it?

Sorry, but none of this proves, in any way, that the end of our country...as you expressed it...will come about if Trump is President.

Heck, many notable people from other countries have expressed admiration for our current President...Obama...who does many of the things you accuse Putin of doing. Do you think those notable people are also "closet authoritarians" who will bring about the demise of their nations?

I suggest you dial back the hyperbole.

Oh...so now, a person who disagrees with you, is helping Trump take over the US...is making war on Americans?

LOL!! Okaaayy.

Back
Top Bottom