• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump Losing The Military Vote, A Traditional Republican Bloc

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

His pardons of war criminals, desire to deploy active-duty troops to quell civil unrest and unwillingness to confront Vladimir Putin on bounties are all factors.

RTS25I7Q.jpg

Trump said it was raining too hard, but the other world leaders all managed to do their duty.

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s numerous lies on military issues, from claims of delivering historic pay raises to providing brand new ships and planes, do not appear to be working with service members, with polling suggesting he could lose this traditional Republican voting bloc this November. Democratic nominee Joe Biden leads Trump, 41% to 37%, in a survey of more than 1,000 subscribers to the Military Times. Trump held a 20-percentage-point lead over Hillary Clinton in the same poll before the 2016 election. In the recent survey, Trump may even have caught a break because it was taken several weeks before Thursday’s Atlantic magazine article revealed new details of his disdain for those who serve in the military. Trump called service members who get injured or killed “suckers” and “losers,” according to the article, and he called off a planned 2018 visit to a cemetery in France where 1,800 World War I U.S. troops are buried because he didn’t want the rain to ruin his hair. The weak polling numbers for Trump also were recorded despite his repeated claims that he has done more for the military than any previous president. “I’ve done more, I think, than almost anybody to help our military, to get the budgets of our military, to get the pay raises for our military,” Trump said again late Thursday night.

In fact, each one of his claims is at best an exaggeration and at worst a lie. While his total military budgets are larger than those in predecessor Barack Obama’s second term when House Republicans insisted on cutting spending, they are smaller than those in Obama’s first term, after adjusting for inflation. Similarly, the pay raises he brags about are the cost-of-living increases that have been standard for years. “What I hear consistently from military families is that they know it’s all fake. The pay raises were no bigger than any in the past and many families have been pushed out of using military health care facilities so they’re paying copays off post,” said Fred Wellman, a retired Army helicopter pilot with 22 years of service who now works with the anti-Trump Lincoln Project. “They don’t believe the lies because they are living it every day. You can’t fool people who are living day to day with the truth.” Wellman added that the Atlantic article is likely to erode Trump’s support even further. “I think this one cuts to the core of our values and culture,” he said. “Yeah, there are a lot of loud voices screaming ‘fake news,’ but I am being pummeled with fellow veterans who are outraged. I’ve never seen this much anger before.”

Military veterans that I know are also mad as hell about Trumps "losers and suckers" comments about US soldiers. No way will they vote for Trump.

How dare this Vietnam War draft-dodger disparage all of those who have served their nation bravely and honorably.

His pardons of war criminals, desire to deploy active-duty troops to quell civil unrest and unwillingness to confront Vladimir Putin on bounties are all factors.

RTS25I7Q.jpg

Trump said it was raining too hard, but the other world leaders all managed to do their duty.

Military veterans that I know are also mad as hell about Trumps "losers and suckers" comments about US soldiers. No way will they vote for Trump.

How dare this Vietnam War draft-dodger disparage all of those who have served their nation bravely and honorably.

Honor and duty are concepts that this "president" does not understand. Hell, anything other than fealty to Himself is something that he does not understand.

RTS25I7Q.jpg

It's a case of Biden and the left trying to steal the election by reporting fake news that Trump made bad comments.

It's a case of Biden and the left trying to steal the election by reporting fake news that Trump made bad comments.
Polling of service members, especially officers, shows Orangey lost their vote prior to his comments being reported.

Not really.

Trump started losing the military when Mattis left, who was very popular with the troops. His comments afterwards about Mattis didn't help.

Back
Top Bottom