• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump loses bid to lift contempt charge despite swearing he can’t find subpoenaed documents

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A New York judge Friday denied a request by lawyers for former President Donald Trump to lift a contempt of court finding despite the submission of new sworn affidavits from Trump and his attorneys that argue he has complied with a subpoena from the state attorney general.

Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Arthur Engoron said that the new affidavits attesting to Trump’s and others’ inability to locate documents sought by Attorney General Letitia James were not sufficient to purge Trump of being held in contempt.
In his two-sentence affidavit signed in Palm Beach, Fla., Trump said that “to the best of my knowledge, I do not have any of the documents requested in the subpoena ... in my personal possession.”

Trump added that if there are any relevant records remaining, “I believe they would be in the possession of custody of the Trump Organization.”

--

I see two things, here:

1] The Judge is not buying Trump's nonsense, and seems bent on moving forward with Contempt

2] Trump seems to be pawning-off responsibility & culpability to Trump Org

--

I'm happy to see #1, and pretty much expected #2.

Given that Trump's kids run Trump Org, and the long-serving comptroller, Jeff McConney, knows the details of Trump Org's finances in relation to Trump, #2 above might be seen to have the possibility of untoward fall-out.

--

It's going to be an interesting case to keep an eye on!

"I must have torn them up into little pieces and thrown them out where my aides couldn't find them"

Want him to find the documents? Set a deadline to find them and if it is met, initiate proceedings to jail him for contempt.

"I must have torn them up into little pieces and thrown them out where my aides couldn't find them"

Want him to find the documents? Set a deadline to find them and if it is met, initiate proceedings to jail him for contempt.

That is my hope.

But, will DeSantis extradite? I doubt it. Good way to get control over Trump, though. DeSantis is probably smacking at the jaws!

That is my hope.

But, will DeSantis extradite? I doubt it. Good way to get control over Trump, though. DeSantis is probably smacking at the jaws!

He can't hope to run for president if he never leaves FL...

Well he is getting fined 10,000 a day now and I don't know if that is the Max they can fine him but if there isn't a max get his attention and take it up to 100,000 a day.
and if that doesn't do it take it up to where it starts to hurt him and gets his attention
His money seems to be the only thing he cares about.
Have a nice day

--

I see two things, here:

1] The Judge is not buying Trump's nonsense, and seems bent on moving forward with Contempt

--

Given that Trump's kids run Trump Org, and the long-serving comptroller, Jeff McConney, knows the details of Trump Org's finances in relation to Trump, #2 above might be seen to have the possibility of untoward fall-out.

--

I think this is going to get at least modified - if not tossed - on appeal.

As for #2 - It's not 'pawning off responsibility'. It makes sense that the Trump Organization (a business in New York) would have the detailed business records that James is so anxious to get, and she should request the records from that company. Keep in mind that these are records from a decade ago, and have likely been archived or destroyed based on record retention policies. Trump left the day to day operation of the company six years ago. The company manages hundreds of properties. It wouldn't make sense for Trump to have personal copies that he carried to the White House or on to Florida.

This dude is a ****ing headache

He must be.....living in your heads the way he does.

I suspect he's got some "splainin'" to do. Hope he's able to do better or face the consequence.

I also hope you guys can move on.

--

I see two things, here:

--

--

So much winning.

As for #2 - It's not 'pawning off responsibility'. It makes sense that the Trump Organization (a business in New York) would have the detailed business records that James is so anxious to get, and she should request the records from that company. Keep in mind that these are records from a decade ago, and have likely been archived or destroyed based on record retention policies. Trump left the day to day operation of the company six years ago. The company manages hundreds of properties. It wouldn't make sense for Trump to have personal copies that he carried to the White House or on to Florida.
You made that up.

He must be.....living in your heads the way he does.

I suspect he's got some "splainin'" to do. Hope he's able to do better or face the consequence.

I also hope you guys can move on.
Yea right. I'll move on when Trump is held accountable for anything he's ever done illegally. And not until then.

No one is above the law. We need to enforce that belief, or we no longer hold the constitutional republic status. We're already looking like a third world country.

Trump doesn't know where any of his sole ownership business records are but Joe Biden know all the details of his sons business dealings.........just SMH

You made that up.
lol. no. Why do you say that?

The IRS requires 3 years after taxes filed. I don't know what NY state requires. I've heard recommendations to keep financial records for 6 or 7 years. This New York CPA firm recommends 6 years. Year end financial statements? Yes, probably good to keep forever. But not the detailed records.

A lot of companies have gone electronic over the past decade or so, and tossed paper records that were beyond the retention date rather than convert them.

Last edited:

You cannot think that because you have no legal training or experience, without which you wouldn't even know how to go about formulating an opinion one what is likely to happen.

Again, no you don't think that that makes sense. You just don't know. You're either pulling something fresh out of your ass or your parroting what you heard somewhere else, but doing it as if to suggest it was your own opinion.

In which case it isn't your opinion, it's theirs, and you just want it to turn out that way for your own political reasons.

You cannot think that [ad hominem removed].
I certainly can think that. If he doesn't have the documents - he doesn't have them. I can understand requiring more specific information on what steps Mr. Trump took to look for the records, but once he did that there's not a good reason to hold him in contempt and continue to levy a daily fine. If there's evidence he lied - sure, throw the book at him. Otherwise James should request the records from the company down the street from her.

Again, no you don't think that that makes sense. You just don't know. [ad hominem removed]

It's an opinion, based on normal business practice. Do you think he personally kept copies of every record on every property and moved it around with him? Why would he do that?

Yeah, but Trump was CEO during the period in question. Responsibility always falls upon the officers.

His dog ate his subpoena?

I love that Southern, Christian men love this guy. It proves what I've been saying all along.

Yeah, but Trump was CEO during the period in question. Responsibility always falls upon the officers.
Oh, I'm not saying he's not responsible for his actions when he was CEO or the submissions he signed. Just that he probably doesn't have personal copies of the underlying records James is asking for. If the business is the custodian of the records, she should send the subpoena to them. If she hasn't already done that, she's an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom