• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Literally Did Not Understand What a Shutdown Would Do

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

07-trump-democrats-shutdown.w600.h400.jpg

“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

1/7/19
The Trump administration’s shutdown of the federal government over the last two weeks is a synecdoche for the way it has run the federal government over the last two years. They blundered into it almost by accident, without any understanding of what they are doing nor any plan for success. Just as Trump did not expect to win the election and neglected to plan for his transition, he shut down the government on a whim, after right-wing media complained about his plan to approve a government funding bill. Nobody in the administration had a clear understanding of just what a shutdown would entail. First Trump shut down the government, and then the Trump administration started looking into what effect this would have. It’s likely the administration was lulled into complacency by a previous, abbreviated shutdown that took place in early 2018. This interruption in funding lasted only a few days and had barely any effect. Perhaps the administration assumed a longer shutdown would work the same way, but, you know, more of it. The impending reality of millions of Americans going hungry and homeless is just one aspect of the horrors that await us. At some point, the shutdown will impinge upon Trump’s C-suite constituency. Employees of the Transportation Security Administration have had to work without pay, but that cannot continue indefinitely. Already, employees at some airports have begun staging sick-outs. At some point, air travel will grind to a halt, and with it large segments of the economy.

Facing an economic cataclysm, Trump appears to have no endgame in mind. He told Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer he would “look foolish” if he agreed to reopen the government without extracting concessions. But Democrats have no incentive to give him any. Voters in general tend to blame the president for problems. This holds true even when Congress is responsible for the problems, but it especially holds true when the president personally engineers the calamity and announces beforehand on camera that he won’t blame the other side for it. The anti-immigration right does not oppose the wall, they simply don’t consider it especially useful as a tool to reduce illegal immigration. (Because it is not.) Just how long will it take for Trump to figure out that he is probably not the president who is going to break America’s long-standing immigration policy deadlock? Probably longer than he can bear the political pain that his shutdown is bringing upon himself and his party. Democrats might be tempted to hand Trump a token ransom to end the very real pain of the shutdown. But to do so would invite further hostage-taking. All they can do in the meantime is continue to send Trump bills to reopen the government immediately, and wait for the president to realize the political blood on the floor is his own.

January 11 will be the last paycheck for almost all government workers. Trump has painted himself into a political corner and now Americans are being increasingly hurt by his holding the government hostage.

Donald -- The American nation is worth far more than preserving your bogus campaign promises and satiating your personal narcissism.

Related: Millions face delayed tax refunds, cuts to food stamps as White House scrambles to deal with shutdown’s consequences

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2019/01/07/07-trump-democrats-shutdown.w600.h400.jpg[img]
[B][SIZE=1]“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”[/SIZE][/B]

January 11 will be the last paycheck for almost all government workers. Trump has painted himself into a political corner and now Americans are being increasingly hurt by his holding the government hostage.

Donald -- The American nation is worth far more than preserving your bogus campaign promises and satiating your personal narcissism.

Related: [B][url="https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/millions-face-delayed-tax-refunds-cuts-to-food-aid-as-white-house-scrambles-to-deal-with-shutdown/2019/01/04/b5b58616-0fa3-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html"]Millions face delayed tax refunds, cuts to food stamps as White House scrambles to deal with shutdown’s consequences[/url][/B][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Are you saying the Dems did and allowed it to continue without coming to the table?

Related: Millions face delayed tax refunds, cuts to food stamps as White House scrambles to deal with shutdown’s consequences

Don't worry Rogue, Trump can totally relate to anyone being hurt even if he doesn't understand. They can just make adjustments. :lol:

So which is it? The Dems knew and allowed it to happen or they didn't know.

You asked if the op said something. He did not

The proof is that he did not say it

I hope that was not too complicated for you

Looking at Pence in that picture reminds me that I need to rent Weekend At Bernie's again.

You asked if the op said something. He did not

The proof is that he did not say it

I hope that was not too complicated for you
I see you do not understand the language used.
That is okay, no one expected that you would.

Again.
So which is it? The Dems knew and allowed it to happen, or in the alternative, they didn't know.

Again.
So which is it? The Dems knew and allowed it to happen, or in the alternative, they didn't know.

tl;dr

Are you saying the Dems did and allowed it to continue without coming to the table?

Trump obviously controls the Senate gatekeeper ... GOP Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

No government funding bills get voted on in the Senate now unless/until Trump gives the nod to McConnell to allow it.

Dems have offered $1.6 billion for border security. The same deal as the Senate voted unanimously (100-0) to approve on December 19.

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:

Congressional dysfunction is causing the current shutdown. It could become Trump's shutdown if he were to veto a funding bill passed by congress.

The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall.

Trump knew there would be no negotiations while the govt. is shut. He does not want to negotiate he wants to dictate. We don't negotiate with dictators who take Americans hostage.

Trump obviously controls the Senate gatekeeper ... GOP Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

No government funding bills get voted on in the Senate now unless/until Trump gives the nod to McConnell to allow it.

Dems have offered $1.6 billion for border security. The same deal as the Senate voted unanimously (100-0) to approve on December 19.
iLOL What a silly reply.

No. Trump does not control the Senate gatekeeper. Your last sentence establishes that.
Had he, the House's bill approving $5.7B would have been allowed a vote by that gatekeeper.

Last edited:
The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall. The shutdown has nothing to do with Trump's Wall.
What?

Trump knew there would be no negotiations while the govt. is shut. He does not want to negotiate he wants to dictate. We don't negotiate with dictators who take Americans hostage.
Your opinion is noted.
The reality is that the Dems as a whole, the Senate Republicans and the President are all responsible.

Congressional dysfunction is causing the current shutdown. It could become Trump's shutdown if he were to veto a funding bill passed by congress.
And that is why Trump has put this in McConnells lap.

If there is no vote and no opportunity for a number of senate Republicans to reveal on the floor they are ready to reopen the government, then there's no chance of a bill passing and coming to Trump's desk, and him being put in the position of having to either sign it and cave, or veto it and completely own the shutdown.

But eventually something is going to have to give, and if a few more Republicans decide to state publicly they are ready to vote (five have so far), then McConnell is going to have to fold, and allow a bill on the floor. At which point Trump would not respond and allow it to go into law, and then he gets to blame McConnell.

:twocents:

Trump is a terrorist.

An ignorant terrorist. But he has a lot of weapons at his disposal.

Negotiating with ignorant terrorists who possess a big arsenal is very tricky. Democrats have a big challenge ahead of them.

They voted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006 and for a 700-mile extension of that fence in 2013. I haven’t seen any of them calling for that supposedly “immoral” and “ineffective” barrier to be dismantled. This is just politics and a squandered opportunity to tie the extension they asked for 5 years ago to additional funding for Democratic initiatives.

Trump is a terrorist.

An ignorant terrorist. But he has a lot of weapons at his disposal.

Negotiating with ignorant terrorists who possess a big arsenal is very tricky. Democrats have a big challenge ahead of them.
Let's not throw around the word "terrorist" irresponsibly.

And that is why Trump has put this in McConnells lap.

If there is no vote and no opportunity for a number of senate Republicans to reveal on the floor they are ready to reopen the government, then there's no chance of a bill passing and coming to Trump's desk, and him being put in the position of having to either sign it and cave, or veto it and completely own the shutdown.

But eventually something is going to have to give, and if a few more Republicans decide to state publicly they are ready to vote (five have so far), then McConnell is going to have to fold, and allow a bill on the floor. At which point Trump would not respond and allow it to go into law, and then he gets to blame McConnell.

:twocents

The symbolic addition of some portion of the Great Wall Of Trump is not going to have any meaningful effect on the 12M (to 20M?) illegal immigrants now inside the US. Both "sides" know this and yet will do nothing to address the very serious problem of the lack of adequate interior enforcement of federal immigration law.

They voted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006 and for a 700-mile extension of that fence in 2013. I haven’t seen any of them calling for that supposedly “immoral” and “ineffective” barrier to be dismantled. This is just politics and a squandered opportunity to tie the extension they asked for 5 years ago to additional funding for Democratic initiatives.
:rolleyes:

This isn't just about the border wall, it's about Republicans using government services as hostages in ransom notes to get what they want. The broader public and Democrats are tired of it, and ready for it to stop.

All the Republicans being asked to is vote on the same bill they already passed.

Again.

The Dems had no power to allow or disallow, the senate is run by Republicans. If you think extortion is the way government should be, then that's on you.

Let's not throw around the word "terrorist" irresponsibly.

I thought hard about it before I said it. And then I decided it was appropriate.

Terrorist: a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Trump's actions are unlawful. They're only considered marginally lawful in the sense that he's president and courts are afraid to step in and tell him no. But he is invoking laws which do not apply. His massive tariffs and his freezing of federal employee pay were both based on him invoking laws made for national emergencies, which clearly did not apply. He has passed so far on declaring a national emergency at the border to get around Congress's oversight, but he is threatening it.

He is a terrorist. Holding civilians hostage.

Back
Top Bottom