• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump lies about pre-existing conditions right to voter's face

Perhaps he's been busy handling a pandemic, fires, and Democrat race riots. It's a symbolic EO. He's been consistent on that. His position on pre-existing conditions is public.

Show your work -- as in evidence he's doing any of those things. All we see him do is golf, tweet and have peace treaties with countries that already are at peace.

Besides, to establish protection for pre-existing conditions one requires legislation. An executive order is not a substitute for law. If Trump wanted to protect pre-existing conditions all he needs to do is withdraw his lawsuit attempting to have the ACA declared unconstitutional. Absent that, he could work with Congress to have a new healthcare law.

Claiming that he's got a magic executive order on the way is as believable as "I'm going to release my taxes once elected."

Perhaps he's been busy handling a pandemic, fires, and Democrat race riots. It's a symbolic EO. He's been consistent on that. His position on pre-existing conditions is public.

There is no EO. It does not exist. It's another broken promise.

And I don't care what his "position" is on anything. Protecting people with pre-existing conditions is VERY DIFFICULT. It's also expensive. So if the plan we haven't seen and the EO that does not exist does protect them, then where does the money come to fund those protections? It's either with higher premiums or more government spending, or cuts to benefits, etc.

So who pays those costs? I'll wait here while you ignore the question because there is no answer, because there is no plan.

All we know from Trump and GOP incompetents is they don't like the ACA, but cannot tell us how they'll do what the ACA does except how the ACA does it. Why do I care about empty promises that we've heard for a decade now? Repeal and replace!! with.....what?

I have to defer this to someone who has more specific knowledge, but one thing I can vouch for 100% is the fact that Trump has vocalized over and over, since the 2016 primaries, that he will protect all Americans with pre-existing conditions.

Stephanopolous lied twice during that town hall, once about this, and once about soldiers being called losers and suckers, trying to quickly slip the line in without Trump hearing it.

Teleprompter Joe needs to try a Hannity town hall, let’s see how that one goes.
Yes, he "vocalized" it but words are meaningless compared to actions. His actions in 2017 was to support legislation that would strip pre-existing coverage protections and his lawsuit to challenge the constitutionality of the ACA would also strip away such protections.

We have years of experience with Trump. His words are empty. By the way, when is that Mexican check coming to pay for the wall?

It's amazing that anyone can deceive him or herself enough to believe him.

What would be even more amazing would be if anyone believed the OP, or you.

But that's highly unlikely, so no point in speculating.

What EO? Link to this EO so we can see how it bridges some gap.

Where is the "new Republican replacement plan?" Link? Thanks!

The article confirming the EO was linked previously in this thread.

The ACA hasn’t been repealed yet.

And I feel like you’re trying to bury the Stephanopolous posts. So I will need to address them in a new thread.

I have to defer this to someone who has more specific knowledge, but one thing I can vouch for 100% is the fact that Trump has vocalized over and over, since the 2016 primaries, that he will protect all Americans with pre-existing conditions.

But if he succeeds in repealing the ACA, every line of it, which he's trying like heck to do, those protections evaporate instantly. So why don't we pay attention to what he DOES versus empty, broken, worthless promises?

How will he protect those with pre-existing conditions?

Yes, he "vocalized" it but words are meaningless compared to actions. His actions in 2017 was to support legislation that would strip pre-existing coverage protections and his lawsuit to challenge the constitutionality of the ACA would also strip away such protections.

We have years of experience with Trump. His words are empty. By the way, when is that Mexican check coming to pay for the wall?

This is all meaningless, because the ACA hasn’t yet been repealed. Actions are not necessary yet, because the ACA is still in place.

You all are expecting a new plan to be implemented before the ACA is repealed.

Stephanopolous clearly stated that Trump was not going to protect pre-existing conditions, not that his promises were “hollow”.

The article confirming the EO was linked previously in this thread.

The article repeated a broken promise to issue an EO at some point in the future. There is no EO. You are lying. It's getting predictable from you.

Access Denied

The link is to Presidential Actions, and any EO would be listed there. It does not exist.

He's already telegraphed that he's going to blame the Democrats if he succeeds in his goals of getting the Affordable Care Act struck down and bringing back pre-existing conditions. And there will be plenty of folks in the cult who believe him.

No matter how much they control, they will always fabricate a scape-goat for their ****ups. It's the deep state's fault.

This is all meaningless, because the ACA hasn’t yet been repealed. Actions are not necessary yet, because the ACA is still in place.

Stephanopolous clearly stated that Trump was not going to protect pre-existing conditions, not that his promises were “hollow”.

That's normally how legislation works. If the GOP had a replacement plan, they don't need the courts to legislate the repeal from the bench. The GOP replacement plan would...you know....replace the ACA with this wonderful new plan that protects everyone, cheaper, better, and doesn't increase the deficit or cost anyone, anything.

Trump is pursuing an Executive Order to protect pre-existing conditions.

Trump: Executive order on pre-existing conditions is 'a signal' - POLITICO

I'm sure Stephanopoulos is aware of this. And not too impressed that he lied twice during this town hall, straight to Trump's face.

Pre-existing conditions can't be eliminated via executive order. They require a law. We already did that. Trump is attempting to get rid of that law, which would then bring back pre-existing conditions.

The imaginary EO is "messaging" because it's worthless and is in fact entirely contrary to the actual policy steps Trump has taken.

You can't repeal legislation and then have an Executive Order that does what a law is needed to do. What you are writing is gibberish. If you want to replace the ACA with something better, you write a new law -- you don't repeal the old one, disrupt the insurance market and then hope that you come up with something better. As JasperL stated, providing for preexisting protection costs money and can't be done by signing an EO.

Besides, preexisting protection doesn't exist in a vacuum. It requires the other "legs" of the Obamacare stool. It starts by requiring that insurers offer the same plans, at the same prices, to everyone, regardless of medical history. This deals with the problem of pre-existing conditions. On its own, however, this would lead to a “death spiral”: healthy people would wait until they got sick to sign up, so those who did sign up would be relatively unhealthy, driving up premiums, which would in turn drive out more healthy people, and so on.

So insurance regulation has to be accompanied by the individual mandate, a requirement that people sign up for insurance, even if they’re currently healthy. And the insurance must meet minimum standards: Buying a cheap policy that barely covers anything is functionally the same as not buying insurance at all.

But what if people can’t afford insurance? The third leg of the stool is subsidies that limit the cost for those with lower incomes. For those with the lowest incomes, the subsidy is 100 percent, and takes the form of an expansion of Medicaid.

The key point is that all three legs of this stool are necessary. Take away any one of them, and the program can’t work -- and none of that can be done via EO.

Only people incredibly naive would believe Trump's nonsense.

ReubenSherr said:
Of course. Otherwise, if the ACA is replaced on the first Tuesday in a month, and a new non-trivial law doesn't get passed and signed into law for month, lots of cancer patients aren't going to receive chemo.

That's why many of us see through Trump's deception. This just isn't how laws or policies get made. It's clearly a deception to flim-flam away the clear obvious fact Trump wants to get rid of preexisting protections but also wants to get re-elected.

But, of course, the usual suspects either fall for the flim-flam or are just true believers.

Last edited:
The republicans have had more than four years to introduce a replacement. Why have they been waiting?

Because they don't have one. We know last night Trump said he already had it but this is just another of his "Mexico will pay for the wall" lies.

Repeatedly he has said the plan will be released in two weeks then it was three weeks and then it was by the end of August.

I hope Biden hammers Trump up and down to reveal this so call new health plan.

Put the fire to lard ass.

His position on pre-existing conditions is public.

Very public. Bring them back legislatively (failed in 2017), undermine protections from them via executive action (ongoing), and when all else fails ask the courts to bring them back (briefs filed with SCOTUS this summer).

Trump is no friend to those with pre-existing conditions.

The lies are so Orwellian...

"I have always supported preexisting condition protections."

"Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia."

What would be even more amazing would be if anyone believed the OP, or you.

But that's highly unlikely, so no point in speculating.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Earlier today:

"I'm not going to give you a readout of what our health care plan looks like and who's working on it. if you want to know, come work here at the White House" -- Kayleigh McEnany

Anybody with a health condition, if you want to know what the president has in mind for you after he takes away your health care, better start applying for a White House job. Come to think of it, you might want to do that just for the health insurance.

Trump is pursuing an Executive Order to protect pre-existing conditions.

Trump: Executive order on pre-existing conditions is 'a signal' - POLITICO

I'm sure Stephanopoulos is aware of this. And not too impressed that he lied twice during this town hall, straight to Trump's face.

Sorry Ruben, but your argument is nonsense.

Trump’s administration is in litigation with the goal of striking down the ACA which would eliminate the pre-existing conditions protections.

Trump does not have the power to force insurance companies to provide pre-existing conditions protections through an executive order. That’s just a political stunt to try to sway weak minds. By the way the two weeks he said it would take were up long ago. It will never happen.

Trump is the one who lied over and over again straight to the face of the questioners and the American public, yet you don’t care one bit about that.

Trump is used to giving rallies to adoring crowds who will cheer at anything no matter how ridiculous it is and Fox interviews where they will only throw him softballs. In a town hall you are going to get tough questions and Trump was a disaster.

People who are on the fence have legitimate concerns with both candidates and Trump did nothing to address those concerns. They are not going to ask questions like “gee you did a really great job with ... don’t you agree?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Healthcare is right at the heart of how insane the typical Trump voter is and has been for some time.

How you can go into a voting booth and time after time, vote for people who PROMISE.

PROMISE to make your life harder and package it up as “freedom” and pass on the better life you could have had in the form of tax cuts for the Ultra Wealthy who do not need them is insanity.

It’s a mass psychosis... But because tens of millions of them believe these lies, they look at you like you’re the crazy one.

Tax cuts for the rich are the “Lucy and the football” of right wing politics.

A majority of the electoral college disagreed with you.

Including myself.

The ACA, under Obama, bankrupted people left and right, as they now had premiums and deductibles they could not afford. Clinton was not jumping up and down to make drastic changes, either.

Gee I didn’t realize that you were a member of the EC!

It looks like you have it backwards. The ACA helped to drive down the number of bankruptcies:

Affordable Care Act Drove Down Personal Bankruptcy - Consumer Reports

Did you follow the 2016 election at all?

Trump spent the entire debate cycle, both in the primaries and against Hillary, arguing that he would fight to protect pre-existing conditions.

And in response to question after question, assured voters that he would replace the ACA with another plan that would protect pre-existing conditions.

I assume that the EO is planned to help bridge any gap between the ACA being potentially repealed and the new plan being passed.

Regardless, to state that Trump does not intend to protect pre-existing conditions is a flat out lie.

I have a lot of respect for Stephanopoulos, but this was not him at his finest.

Don’t you follow Trump at all? Much of what he says is just plain false.

He talks about wanting to protect pre-existing conditions then he sues to get rid of them? I can’t believe you are stupid enough to believe him and defend him on this one! He doesn’t have the power to force this on insurance companies through an EO. You should know that.

Trump seemed tired, but at least he was able to answer questions without reading off a teleprompter. And asking his staff to move the teleprompter up out loud.

I’d like to see Joe appear on a Hannity Town Hall, no teleprompter, with conservative questioners, and Hannity backing them up. Let’s see how he does.

Trump can’t even stand up to a Hannity softball!

eb176c6478be2f53c4b42c23ee1cd799.jpg

The good news for Donald Trump is, and we see it here every day, his base doesn't care if he lies massively.

Back
Top Bottom