• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Lawyer Pushing Conspiracy Theories

Jay Falcon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
A law clerk repeatedly had to tell Trump's lawyer to stop interrupting the judge while she ranted about political bias and right-wing conspiracy theories

A lawyer for former President Donald Trump repeatedly interrupted the judge at a contentious hearing on Thursday and grew so heated at times that the law clerk had to remind her several times not to speak over the judge.

The focus of the hearing were a set of subpoenas that New York attorney general Letitia James' office sent to Trump and his two eldest children, Donald Jr. and Ivanka. They came as part of a wide-ranging investigation into whether the Trump Organization broke banking, tax, and insurance laws. Lawyers for the Trump family asked the judge to quash the subpoenas, arguing among other things that the investigation was politically motivated and that James was improperly conducting a civil and criminal probe.

At one point, Trump's attorney, Alina Habba, argued that James' investigation is "invalid" and tainted by political bias because the attorney general publicly criticized Trump.

"Let me just, let's say this is obvious, but I'm not the attorney disciplinary committee," New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron said when Habba said the investigation should be shut down. "So some of these ethical questions, they're not, they're not in front of me. And I tend to say they're not part of the case, but I haven't totally —"

Habba cut in, saying, "Your honor, how could you say that? They are very much a part of this case. You can't speak to someone based on your hatred for them. You can't —"

Then the law clerk, Allison Greenfield, interrupted to chastise Habba.

"When the judge speaks, you need to stop speaking," she said.

"I'm sorry," Habba replied. "I thought he was done. My apology."

At another point in the hearing, Habba insisted that Trump did not violate any laws and pointed to the slew of legal and congressional investigations from the past several years into his business and personal life.

While the judge was speaking, Habba again interrupted him to note that "no charges have been brought in all these years."

The interruption prompted another reminder from Greenfield.

"When the judge speaks, you have to stop speaking," she told Habba.
These people are unhinged.

Reminds me of the posters on DP who love to deflect with their crazed theories and lies.

[/QUOTE]

Trump's lawyer interrupted a hearing about the Trump Organization's finances to ask New York's AG to investigate whether Hillary Clinton spied on Trump

"I want to know, Mr. Wallace, Ms. James, are you going to go after Hillary Clinton for what she's doing to my client?" Habba said, referring to the attorney general of New York and Kevin Wallace, an attorney representing her in the hearing. "That she spied at Trump Tower in your state? Are you going to look into her business dealings?"

Judge Arthur Engoron stopped Habba's discussion of Clinton, saying they were irrelevant.

"The Clintons are not before me," he said.

The conspiracy theory that Clinton spied on Trump while he was in the White House has proliferated through right-wing media outlets in recent days.

Insider previously reported it stemmed from a misreading of court documents filed by the special counsel John Durham. The filing in question says a lawyer with connections to Clinton obtained nonpublic data from the White House via a technology executive who had legal access to the data.

The lawyer, Michael Sussmann, was charged last year with lying to the FBI, and while the details in the filing raised questions about the ethics of their conduct, it did not accuse the lawyer or the tech executive of spying or hacking. Sussmann filed a motion Thursday to dismiss the case against him, citing "extraordinary prosecutorial overreach" and a failure to "state an offense."

Thursday's court hearing was convened by Engoron to hear arguments on an unrelated issue. James is investigating the Trump Organization's finances and whether it broke bank, tax, and insurance laws by misrepresenting the values of its assets. Her office issued subpoenas to Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump, and Donald Trump Jr. to sit for depositions.

Lawyers always disrupt legal shenanigans in cases where government prosecutors are targeting political opponents. It's called don't sue me because I'll sue you back. It just has to work until the Dems are thrown out of office in 2022 and 2024.

Last edited:
From the Dumbocrat perspective anything they can do to tarnish The Donald is necessary in order to ensure that their party even gets a sniff of a few seats next time .

On the other hand, if the old alcoholic does try to run again, these skirmishes become 100% irrelevant . She will promote her own public death and that of the DNC .

Back
Top Bottom