• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump lashed out at Whitaker after explosive Cohen revelations

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I know that everything that's happening right now is making you numb and it's difficult to place anything into a larger context, but before you read this, remember that just a little over two years ago, Attorney General Loretta Lynch met with the husband of somebody under FBI investigation on an airport tarmac. Maybe they talked about their grandkids, maybe they didn't. Whatever happened, the impression their meeting created was enough to cause such a scandal that a mere two weeks later, Lynch recused herself from overseeing any aspect of the investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails. Just to avoid the appearance of bias.

Now that you've got that locked into your mind, read about how the President is yelling at his Attorney General for not doing enough to obstruct justice. Whittaker has not been confirmed by the Senate and he has refused to recuse himself in spite of ethics advisors' counsel to do so.

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump has at least twice in the past few weeks vented to his acting attorney general, angered by federal prosecutors who referenced the President's actions in crimes his former lawyer Michael Cohen pleaded guilty to, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter.

Trump was frustrated, the sources said, that prosecutors Matt Whitaker oversees filed charges that made Trump look bad. None of the sources suggested that the President directed Whitaker to stop the investigation, but rather lashed out at what he felt was an unfair situation.

The first known instance took place when Trump made his displeasure clear to acting attorney general Matt Whitaker after Cohen pleaded guilty November 29 to lying to Congress about a proposed Trump Tower project in Moscow. Whitaker had only been on the job a few weeks following Trump's firing of Jeff Sessions.

Over a week later, Trump again voiced his anger at Whitaker after prosecutors in Manhattan officially implicated the President in a hush-money scheme to buy the silence of women around the 2016 campaign -- something Trump fiercely maintains isn't an illegal campaign contribution. Pointing to articles he said supported his position, Trump pressed Whitaker on why more wasn't being done to control prosecutors in New York who brought the charges in the first place, suggesting they were going rogue.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/poli...-after-explosive-cohen-revelations/index.html

I know that everything that's happening right now is making you numb and it's difficult to place anything into a larger context, but before you read this, remember that just a little over two years ago, Attorney General Loretta Lynch met with the husband of somebody under FBI investigation on an airport tarmac. Maybe they talked about their grandkids, maybe they didn't. Whatever happened, the impression their meeting created was enough to cause such a scandal that a mere two weeks later, Lynch recused herself from overseeing any aspect of the investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails. Just to avoid the appearance of bias.

Now that you've got that locked into your mind, read about how the President is yelling at his Attorney General for not doing enough to obstruct justice. Whittaker has not been confirmed by the Senate and he has refused to recuse himself in spite of ethics advisors' counsel to do so.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/poli...-after-explosive-cohen-revelations/index.html

"according to multiple sources familiar with the matter."
Read enough of this type of garbage only to find out none of it was true to last me a lifetime. :roll:

However, I will give CNN some credit for the last sentence in their hit piece.
One source close to Whitaker pushed back on the notion that the Cohen situation caused tension between the two, emphasizing that Whitaker and the President have a "great relationship.
You really ought to read your sources to the end... sort of blows your entire Trump hates Whitaker thread premise out of the water.
Glad I could help.

Read enough of this type of garbage only to find out none of it was true to last me a lifetime. :roll:

You really ought to read your sources to the end... sort of blows your entire Trump hates Whitaker thread premise out of the water.
Glad I could help.

It's always been gloom and doom conspiracy theory, allegations, and pipe dreams from such people, who are driven to find anything they can to prove their nightmare scenario (Trump winning the election) was somehow a "cheat."

They cried collusion with Russia, pushing for an investigation which Trump (IMO knowing he was innocent and expected foolishly to be exonerated by) authorized. However he let Sessions recuse himself, and then let Rosenstein create an authorization letter so broad in scope beyond "conspiracy with a foreign power to undermine the election" that Mueller has used it to go after people who had absolutely NOTHING to do with Russian election interference.

So we have lying to investigator convictions, even when the lies had nothing to do with any actual crime; tax fraud that had nothing to do with the campaign; money laundering which occurred years prior to, and nothing to with, the campaign; and now alleged campaign finance "felonies" for paying women hush money. Added to all of this is conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory of who did what, who is spying on who, who is leaking, oh hell I am sick of listing the insanities.

It really is getting hard to take this seriously except the people pushing this are deadly serious.

Last edited:
It's always been gloom and doom conspiracy theory, allegations, and pipe dreams from such people, who are driven to find anything they can to prove their nightmare scenario (Trump winning the election) was somehow a "cheat."

They cried collusion with Russia, pushing for an investigation which Trump (IMO knowing he was innocent and expected foolishly to be exonerated by) authorized. However he let Sessions recuse himself, and then let Rosenstein create an authorization letter so broad in scope beyond "conspiracy with a foreign power to undermine the election" that Mueller has used it to go after people who had absolutely NOTHING to do with Russian election interference.

So we have lying to investigator convictions, even when the lies had nothing to do with any actual crime; tax fraud; money laundering which occurred years prior to, and nothing to with, the campaign; and now alleged campaign finance "felonies" for paying women hush money. Added to all of this is conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory of who did what, who is spying on who, who is leaking, oh hell I am sick of listing the insanities.

It really is getting hard to take this seriously except the people pushing this are deadly serious.

Can't add more as you covered all the bases except to say these were the same people who said Trump would never ever beat Hillary Clinton. I think the last two years combined with the two years prior to the election have driven most stark raving mad.
:cry:

So we have lying to investigator convictions, even when the lies had nothing to do with any actual crime; tax fraud; money laundering which occurred years prior to, and nothing to with, the campaign; and now alleged campaign finance "felonies" for paying women hush money. Added to all of this is conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory of who did what, who is spying on who, who is leaking, oh hell I am sick of listing the insanities.

Notwithstanding that gloom and doom in the West is real, and it is justified.

We are very ill now.

You always know where you stand with Trump.

He is honest like that.

I like that.

Where are you getting that she recused herself from? She did not do that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Where are you getting that she recused herself from? She did not do that.

Yes and no. She stated she would accept any recommendation by the FBI. The investigation was shortly over and the matter was moot before official refusal was an issue.

I was wrong however to say that she had officially refused herself. My memory was off.

Yes and no. She stated she would accept any recommendation by the FBI. The investigation was shortly over and the matter was moot before official refusal was an issue.

I was wrong however to say that she had officially refused herself. My memory was off.
I can understand that because as you said she did it in an official capacity by saying she would follow whatever recommendations given to her by the fbi.

The fact of the matter is though she did not recuse herself and had the authority to do anything she wanted if she disagreed with something.

If she is telling the truth Comey sort of screwed her over too with that presser he held. According to her she was blindsided by it.

Holy John Mitchell, Batman!

Whitaker knows he will be subpoenaed by the house intelligence committee testify as to exactly
what Trump has been asking him to do and whether or not he's been meddling in investigations for which he's the subject.

Trump is so stupid he cannot help himself --he obstructs Justice just like a kid can't resist putting his hand in the cookie jar and gets caught every time

I can understand that because as you said she did it in an official capacity by saying she would follow whatever recommendations given to her by the fbi.

The fact of the matter is though she did not recuse herself and had the authority to do anything she wanted if she disagreed with something.

If she is telling the truth Comey sort of screwed her over too with that presser he held. According to her she was blindsided by it.

Which is all beside the larger point. If the tarmac meeting was a scandal then trump yelling at his AG for not doing enough to stymie an investigation into himself is a slow motion Saturday night massacre. It’s the wall between the DOJ and the White House crumbling as we speak.

At this point, anyone who works for this administration is committing career suicide.

Read enough of this type of garbage only to find out none of it was true to last me a lifetime.
Glad I could help.

Oh the lamentations and rending of garments... :roll:

I too have read enough garbage about multiple sources- during the run up to the elections when 'multiple sources' claimed Hillary would be indicted... :doh

Now we can see where many of tRumps now EX- cabinet members had a very contentious relationship with tRump that was denied at the time...

Of late even Sanders claims the relationship with Mattis was solid... so of course there will be some (or just one) claiming all is peachy- until it is exposed....

Glad I could help.... :peace

The difference is this: In one instance, the Lynch thing, we have a named reporter who took a freaking picture of the get together. In the other instance, we have a news article, based on spin, speculation, innuendo, hyperbole...and on unsupported rumors from unnamed sources.

Somehow, we've move from being a people who cherished facts to a rabid consumers of salacious rumor. Our most venerated news sources have devolved to tabloid journalism.

It's sad.

It isnt this simple though. Whittaker's job is to supervise the work of the district attorney's throughout the country. As with any place of employment, the people on the ground do not have carte blanche to do what they wish. And Trump has a job to supervise Whittaker.

When the source states that the Admin believes that the SDNY has gone "rogue" there is a responsibility by the admin to address that perceived problem. That would be no different an expectation than if the claim was that people from the Agriculture Dept. were going "rogue" whilst doing their job.

The problem is the appearance. Which is political, not legal, problem.

So we have lying to investigator convictions, even when the lies had nothing to do with any actual crime; tax fraud that had nothing to do with the campaign; money laundering which occurred years prior to, and nothing to with, the campaign; and now alleged campaign finance "felonies" for paying women hush money. Added to all of this is conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory of who did what, who is spying on who, who is leaking, oh hell I am sick of listing the insanities.

Are you talking about Trump or Al Capone?

Glad I could help.

And it so contradicts Trumps 'hands off' approach to the Mueller investigation.

It isnt this simple though. Whittaker's job is to supervise the work of the district attorney's throughout the country. As with any place of employment, the people on the ground do not have carte blanche to do what they wish. And Trump has a job to supervise Whittaker.

When the source states that the Admin believes that the SDNY has gone "rogue" there is a responsibility by the admin to address that perceived problem. That would be no different an expectation than if the claim was that people from the Agriculture Dept. were going "rogue" whilst doing their job.

The problem is the appearance. Which is political, not legal, problem.

Seeing as Whittaker is now a potential witness in obstruction of justice, he would have been wise to memorialize his conversations with trump lest he be seen as an accomplice.

Oh the lamentations and rending of garments... :roll:

I too have read enough garbage about multiple sources- during the run up to the elections when 'multiple sources' claimed Hillary would be indicted... :doh

Now we can see where many of tRumps now EX- cabinet members had a very contentious relationship with tRump that was denied at the time...

Of late even Sanders claims the relationship with Mattis was solid... so of course there will be some (or just one) claiming all is peachy- until it is exposed....

Glad I could help.... :peace

Mycroft's Post #14 covers this subject succinctly.
I have nothing additional to add except that the media is out of control and the American people are getting spin, rumor, innuendo instead of substantial well sourced news.
We deserve much more than we are getting.

97% of the **** you believe about Hillary Clinton came from sources like this!

Your whataboutism is a non sequitur.
Nothing I wrote above is inaccurate.

Seeing as Whittaker is now a potential witness in obstruction of justice, he would have been wise to memorialize his conversations with trump lest he be seen as an accomplice.

He is neither a witness to obstruction or a participant. He is the acting AG. He has a responsibility to supervise the work of his subordinates.

And his subordinates did what they did. What is being obstructed? Nothing.

Which is all beside the larger point. If the tarmac meeting was a scandal then trump yelling at his AG for not doing enough to stymie an investigation into himself is a slow motion Saturday night massacre. It’s the wall between the DOJ and the White House crumbling as we speak.

I see you are now couching your statements with supposition.
Good idea. ;)

Holy John Mitchell, Batman!

Whitaker knows he will be subpoenaed by the house intelligence committee testify as to exactly
what Trump has been asking him to do and whether or not he's been meddling in investigations for which he's the subject.

Trump is so stupid he cannot help himself --he obstructs Justice just like a kid can't resist putting his hand in the cookie jar and gets caught every time

Does

There was no cookie jar.

If there was a cookie jar, then it wasn't that cookie jar.

If it was that cookie jar, then it wasn't my hand that was in it.

If it was my hand that was in it, I was only counting the cookies.

If I wasn't counting the cookies then I wasn't stealing any cookies.

If I was stealing cookies, then Bobby did it too.

If Bobby didn't do it too, then it was only a small cookie so it doesn't count.

sound vaguely familiar?

Back
Top Bottom