• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump issues executive order freezing federal workers' pay in 2019

Amelia

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

President Donald Trump issued an executive order Friday freezing federal workers' pay for 2019, following through on a proposal he announced earlier in the year.

The move, which nixes a 2.1% across-the-board pay raise that was set to take effect in January, comes as hundreds of thousands of federal employees are expecting to begin the new year furloughed or working without pay because of a partial government shutdown.

Trump told lawmakers he planned to scrap the 2019 pay bump for federal workers in August, saying the federal budget couldn't support it.

He had backed down on this last year because of bipartisan opposition but now he is alone in the White House and trying to find ways to entertain himself. He claims his authority is national emergency or serious economic conditions, while at the same time trying to convince us that the economy is doing great.

He thinks he's mostly hurting Democrats. That's probably part of his enthusiasm for putting the bite to federal employees. Also, he might be trying to create a bargaining chip in his ongoing campaign to try to figure out out to blackmail Congress into making taxpayers pay for the wall he promised we wouldn't have to pay for.

It's way past time for some belt tightening in the public sector.

And your crack about "anti democrat" has some merit as public sector jobs are mostly democrats who can't cut it in the private sector. That is not an excuse for excessive pay

He had backed down on this last year because of bipartisan opposition but now he is alone in the White House and trying to find ways to entertain himself. He claims his authority is national emergency or serious economic conditions, while at the same time trying to convince us that the economy is doing great.

He thinks he's mostly hurting Democrats. That's probably part of his enthusiasm for putting the bite to federal employees. Also, he might be trying to create a bargaining chip in his ongoing campaign to try to figure out out to blackmail Congress into making taxpayers pay for the wall he promised we wouldn't have to pay for.

Yup. To him, Americans aren't "American." They're "his base" and "not his base."

Increasing the debt by a trillion or two to funnel our grandchildren's money to the uber rich, bragging about how historically epically great the economy is, then sticking it to his Secret Service agents and claiming it's his legal right because of "national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare."

I hope they get a court injunction because Trump's claim of how he has the authority to claw back promised pay raises is bogus.

It's way past time for some belt tightening in the public sector.

And your crack about "anti democrat" has some merit as public sector jobs are mostly democrats who can't cut it in the private sector. That is not an excuse for excessive pay

And yet he wants $5.7 billion for a porous medieval wall. And he's blown through $30+ million of taxpayer money on his weekend golf outings to his properties.

I sure hope government workers remember this particular XO in November 2020.

Tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, "belt-tightening" for the middle class to deal with the economic emergency. Brilliant.

I wouldn't call it blackmail but I can see how his haters would though.
You're right about one thing though... He froze 2019 wages as a bargaining chip. The ball remains in the do nothing Democrats's court.

Are military considered Federal Workers?

You're right about one thing though... He froze 2019 wages as a bargaining chip. The ball remains in the do nothing Democrats's court.

Emptying the West Wing of all qualified staff hasn't work out for him or the country, applying that strategy to the entire federal workforce is downright idiotic. Makes you wonder who this guy works for. Who benefits from the damage he's doing to the country, its people, and its institutions?

The military gets their raises ... Trump thinks of them as his base.

(Not sure about Coast Guard ... they're in Homeland Security ... he might think they're too liberal.)

Tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, "belt-tightening" for the middle class to deal with the economic emergency. Brilliant.

100% of tax money originates in the private sector as a tax levied on their productivity. A healthy private sector can cure a lot of ills.

You feel like you are starving because your city, county, and state governments are nickle and dimeing you to death with taxes and regulations, yet your news just pounds on Trump. Blame Trump for even considering that an expanding economy is the best way to pay down the debt before something goes wrong and we have to pay the piper. A lousy economy means you are not doing well enough to pay enough taxes to support government spending.

Democrats and their news media blame taxes on wars and defense, yet the largest budget item is non discretionary payment - various entitlements. Some deserved like Medicare, and pensions, some like Mecidaid, and some eternal basic income programs like welfare.

Health care and welfare = 22%
Pensions = 25%

We are shoveling less money into the government furnace than we are spending. Inflation is one way out, productivity is another, and increased taxes are another. Pick your poison and condense it into a 30 second sound bite for the sniveling masses.

FYI:

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/united_states_federal_spending_pie_chart

FYI2:

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

NOTE: corporation assets are one of the few clocks going down. I have no idea why.

Trump promised everybody that “Mexico” would pay for the wall but now he’s making 800,000 federal employees go without paychecks if US taxpayers won’t pay for it. And let's talk about his demand for security, and among those going without pay:

— 54,000 in Customs & Border Protection:

— 42,000 in Coast Guard

— 41,000 In Law Encorcement (FBI, DEA, ATF)

— 53,000 in TSA

And yet he wants $5.7 billion for a porous medieval wall. And he's blown through $30+ million of taxpayer money on his weekend golf outings to his properties.

I sure hope government workers remember this particular XO in November 2020.

He does not want a "porous medieval" wall.
No need to embellish.

Did you also complain about the amount Obama blew on his lavish vacations and golf outings? $105,662,975.27 according to Judicial Watch.
My favorite was when he flew to Fl. just to play with Tiger Woods. Cost the taxpayers a few million or so... according to the office of the GAO.
I guess the taxpayers did remember too, hence why they elected a president who donates much of his salary to those in need like the VA.

Trump shows his utter contempt for people he believes are not on his side so he punishes them.

Yes. But they are usually left out such discussions because it messes up the talking point that most federal workers are Democrats.

No need to embellish.

Did you also complain about the amount Obama blew on his lavish vacations and golf outings? $105,662,975.27 according to Judicial Watch.
My favorite was when he flew to Fl. just to play with Tiger Woods. Cost the taxpayers a few million or so... according to the office of the GAO.
I guess the taxpayers did remember too, hence why they elected a president who donates much of his salary to those in need like the VA.

This thread isn't about Obama.

It's about Trump.....

(1) Punishing 800,000 Federal workers who are not getting paid right now because Trump lied when he said Mexico would pay for his border wall.

(2) Taking away the raise of all Federal workers for 2019.

^
You gotta love (and by that I mean ashamed that the person is a fellow American) how, every single time the GOP demands to be given everything it wants while holding the budget/federal workers hostage, their minions dutifully flock to the internet to declare that it's actually the Democrats fault for not surrendering unconditionally to a hostage taker.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with domestic abuse, but "look at what you made me do!" is an emblematic phrase. That's what the GOP is saying, yet again. Yet again, their minions blame the victims.

/spit

Yes. But they are usually left out such discussions because it messes up the talking point that most federal workers are Democrats.

I hate to post stupid; that means the military won’t get another “10%” in 2019?

Of course you wouldn't call it blackmail. "Give me the wall or I'm going to hurt anyone I can in any way I can." And you're blaming the people he's making the demands to.

If it were up to me, there'd be no negotiation. America doesn't negotiate with terrorists.

If Nancy wants her Speakership position, she'll have to take a stand on this issue.

Trump is playing her like a fiddle.

Trump promised everybody that “Mexico” would pay for the wall but now he’s making 800,000 federal employees go without paychecks if US taxpayers won’t pay for it. And let's talk about his demand for security, and among those going without pay:

— 54,000 in Customs & Border Protection:

— 42,000 in Coast Guard

— 41,000 In Law Encorcement (FBI, DEA, ATF)

— 53,000 in TSA

You need to drop the talking points. I know what he promised and how what he promised has been modified.
That said, like some of Obama's promises, I'll believe it when I see it. I never believed any of their promises...

All presidents make promises they can't keep.
Promises broken on the Obamameter

Congress, which is expected to reconvene on Thursday but may not take immediate action to end the shutdown, has signaled that it will eventually pay government workers. It did so after a 16-day shutdown in 2013, when the Obama administration estimated that “the largest direct cost” of the stoppage was work that went unperformed — and the $2 billion the government paid employees for it.

Last week, the Senate unanimously approved a measure to compensate federal workers “at the earliest date possible after the lapse in appropriations ends, regardless of scheduled pay dates.”

According to my source, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/us/shutdown-federal-workers-.html

No need to embellish.

While he steals whatever’s not nailed down with the other hand..........backaway from the KOOL-AID!

If Nancy wants her Speakership position, she'll have to take a stand on this issue.

Trump is playing her like a fiddle.

...you're suggesting Trump stands to gain and Pelosi stands to lose if Pelosi says "I think federal workers deserve raises to keep pace with inflation."

Uhhh yeah buddy. Good luck with that.

Trump the divider strikes again. First he said that federal workers were in support of his shutting down the government because they want better border security. Which was completely untrue and frankly was an absolutely ridiculous notion to start with. Then he says that the federal workers are mostly Democrats. So in his mind whatever hardships that result from the loss of a primary source of income happens to befall to these federal workers and their families, such loss of their residences and unpaid bill, etc. It doesn't really matter to him. Who cares? They're Democrats! So the hell with them! This is how small minded and cruel this man really is. He doesn't care about the little guy. He only cares about himself.

You need to drop the talking points. I know what he promised and how what he promised has been modified.

It's a pretty big promise to break. If trump wants the US tax payer to pay for the wall, then he can run for re-election on the platform that we're going to build a wall and we'll pay for it. If Americans agree with that platform then they'll put him into office again.

In the meantime, blackmailing the country isn't going to win him any converts to his cause.

Back
Top Bottom