• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump is trapped and tanking

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

donald-trump4-410x220.jpg

1/23/19
Even this White House, infamous for self-delusion, must realize it’s in deep trouble. Two more polls released Wednesday show the depth of President Trump’s problem. The Morning Consult-Politico poll finds that “57 percent of registered voters disapprove of Trump’s job performance — more than any other survey in Trump’s two years in office — while 40 percent approve. The 17-percentage-point deficit matches two previous lows of the Trump presidency.” Sixty percent of independents now disapprove of his performance. As time goes on, more Americans blame Trump for the shutdown (“49 percent of voters [say] he is responsible in the latest survey — up 6 points since the shutdown began”). The CBS News poll has even worse numbers for Trump. In that survey, “Seven in 10 Americans don’t think the issue of a border wall is worth a government shutdown, which they say is now having a negative impact on the country. ... Mr. Trump’s overall approval rating has dipped three points from November to 36 percent today. Fifty-nine percent of Americans now disapprove of the job he is doing – a high for his presidency, although just one point above his previous high.” To add insult to injury, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) gets higher marks (47 percent) than Trump (35 percent) in handling the shutdown. Only 39 percent think Trump cares a lot or some about people like them; 53 percent say the same of Democrats. On the wall, 61 percent think the border can be secured without it, while 71 percent say it is not worth a shutdown.

The irony here — or is it karma? — is that Trump’s biggest cheerleaders in the right-wing media (e.g. Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity) and his hardcore anti-immigrant adviser Stephen Miller who egged him on are now responsible for the worst political debacle of his presidency, one that has erased any residue of presidential power. He’s now trapped, waiting for a permission slip from the right-wing media chorus to capitulate — or watch his support and any hope for legislative accomplishments evaporate.
As to the remainder of his term, Trump was never going to advance any proposal on a wide range of issues without Democratic-buy in. Now, having empowered them and weakened his own hand, he’ll either have to give more ground in future negotiations or meekly accept two years without a significant accomplishment. Trump cannot bear to face the possibility of defeat on the issue that was most central to his campaign and most closely tied to his theme of white grievance. As with trade, however, his fixation with avoiding defeat leads to further erosion of his power. He faces a lose-lose choice: Give in now, as humiliating as that might be, or alternatively, continue a fruitless fight that will sap his chances of political survival and still not avoid eventual defeat.

Virtually all politicians can read polls. I'm simply amazed that the White House power clique either can not or will not recognize that Trumps shutdown is irreparably harming his incumbent chances in 2020. In a similar vein, I'm also amazed at the number of Congressional Republicans that are willing to meekly accept a gruesome 2020 fate for hanging onto the increasingly lethal coattails of Donald Trump. But if they all truly believe the vanity wall is worth falling on their swords over, that's fine with me. The less Republicans we have in government going forward, the better off my America will be.

So much #winning! It's YUGE and totally MAGA!:roll:

Congress' approval rating since the shutdown = 16%.

And that's with the media carrying the democrats water for them.

Yaaawwwnnnn….

Virtually all politicians can read polls. I'm simply amazed that the White House power clique either can not or will not recognize that Trumps shutdown is irreparably harming his incumbent chances in 2020. In a similar vein, I'm also amazed at the number of Congressional Republicans that are willing to meekly accept a gruesome 2020 fate for hanging onto the increasingly lethal coattails of Donald Trump. But if they all truly believe the vanity wall is worth falling on their swords over, that's fine with me. The less Republicans we have in government going forward, the better off my America will be.

They are between the proverbial rock and hard place. Go against Trump and his "base" and lose in 2020, or string this out for Trump and face what that entails. They seem to be choosing the less certain death, at least in their minds.

Abandon hope, all ye who've jumped the Shark of Trumpism.

Red:
I agree the shutdown has the potential to do that, but I think it premature to make the "red" declaration you have. This shutdown, among shutdowns, is sui generis, but even so, it's just too soon to form a strong stance re: it's 2020 election impact. It is because many things, any number of which may override the shutdown in voters' 2020 presidential election "calculus," can happen between then and now.

For instance, if "the big one" strikes somewhere in CA, WA, OR while the government is shutdown, the shutdown could have a big impact. If the US finds itself in a war in, say, Venezuela, the shutdown won't matter much, and Trump would get the "war bump." (I mention that because of recent events in Venezuela and Russia's recently increased involvement, to put it mildly, there.) If the recession hits ahead of the election, Trump'll almost certainly, absent a war, be "toast."

Those are just some things within the realm of plausibility and that could indeed come about. There are plenty more that are equally and less "dramatic" that could coalesce to obviate the impact of the shutdown.

Red:
I agree the shutdown has the potential to do that, but I think it premature to make the "red" declaration you have. This shutdown, among shutdowns, is sui generis, but even so, it's just too soon to form a strong stance re: it's 2020 election impact. It is because many things, any number of which may override the shutdown in voters' 2020 presidential election "calculus," can happen between then and now.

I disagree. Americans won't soon forget this Trump vanity fight. And I daresay, Trump never gets better as time marches on, only worse.

Trump is no longer the unknown outsider he was in 2016. IMHO, Americans have already had their fill of Donald Trump and his dysfunctional government.

Hillary...Election night...2016..."BUT...THE POLLS!!!"

Virtually all politicians can read polls.
Yeah, well. Trump lives in his own Reality Distortion Field. Unless Fox News starts talking about dropping poll numbers, he'll ignore it.

The Dems might nominate another Hillary. Never underestimate their capacity to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Pipsqueak Pelosi is the one becoming more detached from the mainstream of her party as she tries to curry favor with the far left. When more moderate Democrats see the wisdom of taking up Trump on negotiations to end the shut down, Pelosi will be left in the weeds wondering what went wrong. The SOTU pettiness is seen for the grandstanding it is.

The Dems might nominate another Hillary. Never underestimate their capacity to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Why do we need another Hillary? They should run the real article. We'll see if she lives through the campaign.

6 Republicans voted for the House Bill to end the shutdown. Only 1 Democrat voted for the Republican Bill. Momentum is with the democrats.

And today we have Trumps Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and Trumps daughter-in-law Lara Trump wondering why federal workers are having such a hard time.

Geezus. Talk about rich-privilege and being tone deaf. These creatures have nothing in common with 98% of America.

I disagree. Americans won't soon forget this Trump vanity fight. And I daresay, Trump never gets better as time marches on, only worse.

Trump is no longer the unknown outsider he was in 2016. IMHO, Americans have already had their fill of Donald Trump and his dysfunctional government.
Red:
Okay...If we live long enough, we'll surely see what impact the shutdown has or hasn't.

Blue:
Only to ignoramuses was he ever that, despite what may have been said about him. He wasn't because, in the US, there's no such thing as a billionaire who's also an outsider. The general public and newsies may not get wind of billionaires' communications with political office holders, lobbyists, party strategists, and policy makers, but those chit-chats happen because there is nobody in politics who's unresponsive to a billionaire (or someone presumed to be one) or a even hundred millionaire, for that matter.

Pink:
I fully agree with that; however, I think one can credibly say that, shutdown or no shutdown. Nov. 2018 showed us that.

Yeah, well. Trump lives in his own Reality Distortion Field. Unless Fox News starts talking about dropping poll numbers, he'll ignore it.

Well based on the embarassing, titanic ,stupendous failures by the rest of the media this past week, can you really blame him?

#BUZZFEED# COVINGTON# NATHANIEL PHILLIPS #LOSERS#FAKE

Pipsqueak Pelosi is the one becoming more detached from the mainstream of her party as she tries to curry favor with the far left. When more moderate Democrats see the wisdom of taking up Trump on negotiations to end the shut down, Pelosi will be left in the weeds wondering what went wrong. The SOTU pettiness is seen for the grandstanding it is.

What negotiations? Trump offered a 3 year reprieve for DACA recipients. The problem with that is TRUMP is the one that took away their protection to begin with. How the hell is that negotiating in good faith? So if I take $100 from you right off the bat and then turn around to negotiate with you and say if you give me $100 more, I'll give you $10 back. Do you think that is fair negotiating?

Congress' approval rating since the shutdown = 16%.

And that's with the media carrying the democrats water for them.

Yaaawwwnnnn….

Congress always has a low rating overall. But for them what matters is their individual ratings with their own constituents, which for some reason is usually high. A President, on the other hand, has to worry about what the nation as a whole thinks.

Democrats are not always closely aligned with facts and truth. They do, however, dream.democrat headquarters on election nioght 2016.jpg

Red: Okay...If we live long enough, we'll surely see what impact the shutdown has or hasn't.

To our robust health :party

Blue: Only to ignoramuses was he ever that, despite what may have been said about him. He wasn't because, in the US, there's no such thing as a billionaire who's also an outsider. The general public and newsies may not get wind of billionaires' communications with political office holders, lobbyists, party strategists, and policy makers, but those chit-chats happen because there is nobody in politics who's unresponsive to a billionaire (or someone presumed to be one) or a even hundred millionaire, for that matter.

Well, Trump ran as the "outsider". Drain the swamp and all that campaign rubbish.

Pink: I fully agree with that; however, I think one can credibly say that, shutdown or no shutdown. Nov. 2018 showed us that.

Have faith. Trump has a knack of exacerbating his ineptitude.

What negotiations? Trump offered a 3 year reprieve for DACA recipients. The problem with that is TRUMP is the one that took away their protection to begin with. How the hell is that negotiating in good faith? So if I take $100 from you right off the bat and then turn around to negotiate with you and say if you give me $100 more, I'll give you $10 back. Do you think that is fair negotiating?

As long as Democrats don't bother to show up, there are no negotiations. They'd have been wise to take Trump's original 1.8 million dreamer offer for wall funding and other changes but they insisted on keeping the visa lottery and chain migration. Now, that has been magically spun as Trump's fault when he offered nearly three times the number of DACA people than the Dems originally wanted. They take a perverse pleasure in not making any deals with Trump.

As long as Democrats don't bother to show up, there are no negotiations. They'd have been wise to take Trump's original 1.8 million dreamer offer for wall funding and other changes but they insisted on keeping the visa lottery and chain migration. Now, that has been magically spun as Trump's fault when he offered nearly three times the number of DACA people than the Dems originally wanted. They take a perverse pleasure in not making any deals with Trump.

Trump had agreed to the Democrats' plan. HE would have been better off taking the deal. Instead he let the Freedom Caucus get in his ear and blow it up ... on their way to Congressional defeat. And now he's dealing with an emboldened Democratic party and a weakened Freedom Caucus and hurting millions of Americans to try to get a fraction of what he turned down the year before.

Trump had agreed to the Democrats' plan. HE would have been better off taking the deal. Instead he let the Freedom Caucus get in his ear and blow it up ... on their way to Congressional defeat. And now he's dealing with an emboldened Democratic party and a weakened Freedom Caucus and hurting millions of Americans to try to get a fraction of what he turned down the year before.

SHHHHH!!!! STOP bringing in facts and reality!!!

Back
Top Bottom