• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump is laying claim to a therapy that is already widely in use, and easily available.

Guyzilla

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trump needs a reason for daily briefings, and to get great ratings. Trump, after the chloroquine debacle was looking for another miracle. He needs a miracle. He wants to BRAND the miracle, Trump like on his buildings. He doesn't really build anything. He brands what is built. Now shut up, and take your Trump infusion.

Trump now wants to take credit for using blood of survivors. Without any REAL proof that it works. Without even a study to see if antibodies stop you from getting it, if infused. And it is already an easy thing to do for the sick. More testing will be needed, to find those with antibodies, and survived covid19. So, Trump, in order to push this therapy, will invariably have to eat crow on testing efficacy.

---------------------------------------------------------
Trump to announce emergency authorization of convalescent plasma as 'breakthrough' covid-19 treatmen

Many scientists and physicians believe that convalescent plasma might provide some benefit but is far from a breakthrough. It is rich in antibodies that could be helpful in fighting the coronavirus, but the evidence so far has not been conclusive about whether it works, when to administer it and what dose is needed. On CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday, former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said the blood product — derived from patients who have survived covid-19 — is “probably beneficial” for covid-19 patients. The issuance of an emergency authorization would make it easier to get in some settings. But he also said it already is widely available, so the change would be “incremental.”

The announcement comes as Trump has put extraordinary pressure on federal agencies to test and approve treatments and, especially, a vaccine against the novel coronavirus which has already killed more than 170,000 Americans. The president’s political advisers believe that having a vaccine by Election Day is key to his prospects for winning.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/23/trump-convalescent-plasma-okay/

You need at least as many people to have had the virus as not in order to have the supply to immunize the other half of the population.

When isn't he lying?

When aren't his Trumpists cheering it on?

They don't care that his callous indifference, lies, and denials have gotten over 172,000 Americans killed. They want to vote for four more years of that. At this point, how does it not look like they truly "hate America".

You know...one of the many things they spent ten years accusing the first black president of?

The last I read COVID-19 test has an accuracy rate of approximately 50%. If that is correct it would seem to me that the US is going to have to test and re-test one hell of a lot of people to find enough to provide plasma to be used in therapy.

Maybe the test accuracy has improved. It doesn't seem to me that any testing for COVID-19 including text accuracy has been a primary concern for whoever the hell is leading the national COVID-19 task force. We've had 7 months to at least get it right in all phases of testing, reporting, and availability and yet we haven't. Now we could benefit from accurate antibody testing and availability.

Effective therapy used overseas is now bad, just like HQC which has saved many lives overseas. The democrats actually want suffering and high body counts I think. Placing sick people in nursing homes and urging people to come to China town were effective measures and long proven medical therapies are quack medicine. Welcome to clown world

Trump needs a reason for daily briefings, and to get great ratings. Trump, after the chloroquine debacle was looking for another miracle. He needs a miracle. He wants to BRAND the miracle, Trump like on his buildings. He doesn't really build anything. He brands what is built. Now shut up, and take your Trump infusion.

Trump now wants to take credit for using blood of survivors. Without any REAL proof that it works. Without even a study to see if antibodies stop you from getting it, if infused. And it is already an easy thing to do for the sick. More testing will be needed, to find those with antibodies, and survived covid19. So, Trump, in order to push this therapy, will invariably have to eat crow on testing efficacy.

Trump to announce emergency authorization of convalescent plasma as 'breakthrough' covid-19 treatmen

Many scientists and physicians believe that convalescent plasma might provide some benefit but is far from a breakthrough. It is rich in antibodies that could be helpful in fighting the coronavirus, but the evidence so far has not been conclusive about whether it works, when to administer it and what dose is needed. On CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday, former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said the blood product — derived from patients who have survived covid-19 — is “probably beneficial” for covid-19 patients. The issuance of an emergency authorization would make it easier to get in some settings. But he also said it already is widely available, so the change would be “incremental.”

The announcement comes as Trump has put extraordinary pressure on federal agencies to test and approve treatments and, especially, a vaccine against the novel coronavirus which has already killed more than 170,000 Americans. The president’s political advisers believe that having a vaccine by Election Day is key to his prospects for winning.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/23/trump-convalescent-plasma-okay/

What did he say that makes you state he’s “laying claim” to this therapy?

same old same old from Trump

what a piece of **** he is

Effective therapy used overseas is now bad, just like HQC which has saved many lives overseas. The democrats actually want suffering and high body counts I think. Placing sick people in nursing homes and urging people to come to China town were effective measures and long proven medical therapies are quack medicine. Welcome to clown world

I have so had it with clown shoe posts like this.

Clown world indeed, at least you admit it.

Modern day Confederates elected a literal idiot.

What did he say that makes you state he’s “laying claim” to this therapy?

Good question. I am operating on his previous MO. I think I have a 90% chance of being right.

He's "laying claim" to nothing; he's just announcing FDA gave and Emergency Authorization to USE. This makes it official. Trump just announced to make sure the public knows.

he's "laying claim" to nothing; he's just announcing fda gave and emergency authorization to use. This makes it official. Trump just announced to make sure the public knows.

lol....

You need at least as many people to have had the virus as not in order to have the supply to immunize the other half of the population.
We have more recovered cases than active cases right now. This treatment is for hospitalize patients only, as I understanding it.

Now that he's announced it publicly the MSM is going to have to pick up the story quickly.

yeah, quickly

"Trump says nothing again as he continues to use our most highly regarded institutions for personal political gain"

Good question. I am operating on his previous MO. I think I have a 90% chance of being right.

Might have been a good idea to find out before posting your thread.

yeah, quickly

"Trump says nothing again as he continues to use our most highly regarded institutions for personal political gain"
Yeah whatever. :roll:

We have more recovered cases than active cases right now. This treatment is for hospitalize patients only, as I understanding it.

But on August 19th they stopped the approval and now on August 23rd it is magical enough for a Sunday Presidential announcement? This feels like a political move to paint Dr. Fauci as the fall guy for those unhappy about the virus in the GOP base.

FDA Stops Emergency Approval For Use Of Blood Plasma In Covid-19
| Worldhealth.net Anti-Aging News

The last I read COVID-19 test has an accuracy rate of approximately 50%. If that is correct it would seem to me that the US is going to have to test and re-test one hell of a lot of people to find enough to provide plasma to be used in therapy.

Maybe the test accuracy has improved. It doesn't seem to me that any testing for COVID-19 including text accuracy has been a primary concern for whoever the hell is leading the national COVID-19 task force. We've had 7 months to at least get it right in all phases of testing, reporting, and availability and yet we haven't. Now we could benefit from accurate antibody testing and availability.

The PCR test is much more accurate than that but takes too long to process and produce a test result. We should have put as much effort and emphasis on rapid testing for surveillance purposes as we put on clinical testing. The PCR test is best used as a clinical test. We didn't. Instead we:
- criticized the SK rapid testing program instead of studying it
- did not incentivize industry to develop our own rapid testing process

Rapid tests are not more than 55 maybe 60% accurate. But they are cheap and could be widely distributed and used. The PCR test should be reserved for the clinical environment. But the PCR test is really all we have with widely distributed test kits and as a result we have been stuck with it and the lead times for results just stretched out and stretched out to the point where the PCR test is basically now useless for anything BUT the clinical environment. You cannot do contact tracing effectively 7 days after someone was tested for the virus. It is RIDICULOUS.

If you are paying $0.50 for a test and you can get the result in 15-20 minutes for some purposes an accuracy of 55-60% is simply a worthwhile compromise. It could be used in schools, places of employment, and most critically for all sorts of surveillance testing and you take the demand pressure off the PCR test which is really a clinical test. BUT NOOOO. 6 months in we still got NUTHIN' and we are being told that best expectations for a widely distributed Rapid test are about another 4 months....criminal.....just criminal!!!! Dr Donnie does it again.....IDIOT.....BOZO....DANGEROUS MAN in a position of power. It's just that simple.

But it's Trump that actually has them.

Are you under the impression that convalescent plasma treatment is something new or not used in the US?

LOL, Sounds more like yet another LW Faux Outrage; you guys have so many of them it's hard to keep track.

Perhaps you did not read the article. I know it is a bit optimistic to expect democrats to understand complete sentences, let alone whole paragraphs, but I do try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Once.

Back
Top Bottom