• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump is getting closer to resigning

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
He's going to try to make a plea deal.

He should, IF impeached AND convicted he loses his security guard, his travel and his stipend, But, what makes you think he will plea out?

Is there a source for this wonderful news?
He doesn't ever have a source. This is how Antiwar operates.

He makes a declarative statement, as if something has happened, in his thread title and in his OP he just makes a prediction. And he never supports his prediction with any facts.

He makes a declarative statement, as if something has happened, in his thread title and in his OP he just makes a prediction. And he never supports his prediction with any facts.
Ok so...tealeaf reading then.

He should, IF impeached AND convicted he loses his security guard, his travel and his stipend, But, what makes you think he will plea out?
I think he'll come to believe that he'll be able to stay out of criminal trouble if he includes a "Get out of jail free" card as part of a plea deal. I think the bargaining phase is imminent.

Last edited:

I didn't make a declarative statement that something happened.

If presented, would you even recognize a "fact" Mycroft?

Nothing you have ever shown us suggests you would.

Okay then start out saying so, please.
Say that you have a gut feeling and ask if there are others who feel the same way.
Not lecturing you, just trying to familiarize you with the custom of starting off with something to support an arg like a link.
Absent one, most folks come right out and say they are going on their gut.

Cheers.

PS: I am inclined the same way, because with a plea deal he may get to keep things he desperately needs, like his security.
Of course since he insists he's worth ten billion or more, he can afford to hire an army for life if need be.
I'm sure Erik Prince would help.

I didn't make a declarative statement that something happened.
Trump is getting closer to resigning

That is a declarative statement.

Oooh, the irony!

What did I claim had already happened?
"getting closer" is a present participle, so technically you're right. But it is a declarative statement, as opposed to something that's clearly an opinion.

So what is the evidence, in your view, that's he's getting closer?

"getting closer" is a present participle, so technically you're right. But it is a declarative statement, as opposed to something that's clearly an opinion.

So what is the evidence, in your view, that's he's getting closer?
I forecasted based on my reasoning.

This is one of those threads that can carry on for 2 years as hairs are split 10,000 times.

i don't see him resigning. even seeing him walk out of the office voluntarily on the 20th would be a bit of a shock.

I forecasted based on reasoning.
Well (sharpens hair splitting knife) if you're forecasting then it's not present tense is it. It's future tense so you can't use the 'getting closer' participle.

This is one of those threads that can carry on for 2 years as hairs are split 10,000 times.
It will happen or not by the current known end of Trump's unprecedented presidential term.

Well (sharpens hair splitting knife) if you're forecasting then it's not present tense is it. It's future tense so you can't use the 'getting closer' participle.
Incorrect and a distraction.

I hate to burst Dem's bubbles but Trump will not be convicted. Republicans don't have the stomach to convict him for anything. He could have led the rioters right into the Capitol and yelled "Get him! Get her! Drag them outta here!" and they would still wet themselves at the thought of convicting him. Whining sniveling bunch of cowardly gutter trash prostituting themselves to a president who committed treason against America.

LegalEagle has a great breakdown (aren't they all?) on YouTube about Trump's possible criminal culpability for inciting riots or insurrection (in actual criminal proceedings, not impeachment proceedings). Bottom line: It's an extremely high bar for the prosecutor, especially since it was political speech which is the most protected, and the court will give Trump every possible benefit of doubt. As it should, in principle. Most likely Trump will never serve any prison time for this. But if he apologizes, resigns, or accepts any kind of responsibility, his defense case would likely be weakened by that.

The biggest risks Trump faces are civil suits being brought by the families of those who died in the riots. And just like criminal culpability, any apology or acceptance of responsibility, to include resigning, could make it even more difficult for him to defend against civil suits. He's a very broke man, in more ways than one.

Back
Top Bottom