• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump holds up coronavirus aid to block funding for mail-in voting

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Thursday he was blocking Democrats’ effort to include funds for the U.S. Postal Service and election infrastructure in a new coronavirus relief bill, a bid to block more Americans from voting by mail during the pandemic.

Congressional Democrats accused Republican Trump of trying to damage the struggling Postal Service to improve his chances of being re-elected as opinion polls show him trailing presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

Trump has been railing against mail-in ballots for months as a possible source of fraud, although millions of Americans - including much of the military - have cast absentee ballots by mail for years without such problems.

Trump said his negotiators have resisted Democrats’ calls for additional money to help prepare for presidential, congressional and local voting during a pandemic that has killed more than 165,000 Americans and presented logistical challenges to organizing as large an event as the Nov. 3 elections.

“The items are the post office and the $3.5 billion for mail-in voting,” Trump told Fox Business Network, saying Democrats want to give the post office $25 billion. “If we don’t make the deal, that means they can’t have the money, that means they can’t have universal mail-in voting.”

COMMENT:-

This appears to go WAY beyond an "election issue" so it appeared to me to belong in the general thread.

If I'm wrong, the I hope that the mods will move the thread to a new sub-section titled "How To Destroy The Democratic Process By Giving People The Choice Between Dying And Voting".

I mean, Republicans basically told him when they acquitted him during impeachment, "Yeah, we're not going to hold it against you for election cheating."

We saw this coming miles and miles away.

I mean, Republicans basically told him when they acquitted him during impeachment, "Yeah, we're not going to hold it against you for election cheating."

We saw this coming miles and miles away.

All the way back to Atlantic City, at a minimum.

All the way back to Atlantic City, at a minimum.

All the way back to the construction of the Trump Tower.

The one where the demolition was done by scab labor.

The one that is ten stories shorter than der fuhrer says it is.

The one where Trump publicly destroyed a historic structure, after having publicly pledged to preserve it, or have it removed preserved and donated. Trump promised all three things at one point or another, and never had any intention of doing them. The famous Art Deco facade of the Bonwit Teller department store disappeared under Trump’s wrecking ball.

It’s all of a piece.

I expect the Cohen book is going to be very interesting.

I don't think anyone is surprised. The right will sell out the Republic for just a few more tweets. They don't care about the integrity of the Republic, just the proliferation of power by their Dear Leader.

From Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Thursday he was blocking Democrats’ effort to include funds for the U.S. Postal Service and election infrastructure in a new coronavirus relief bill, a bid to block more Americans from voting by mail during the pandemic.

Congressional Democrats accused Republican Trump of trying to damage the struggling Postal Service to improve his chances of being re-elected as opinion polls show him trailing presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

Trump has been railing against mail-in ballots for months as a possible source of fraud, although millions of Americans - including much of the military - have cast absentee ballots by mail for years without such problems.

Trump said his negotiators have resisted Democrats’ calls for additional money to help prepare for presidential, congressional and local voting during a pandemic that has killed more than 165,000 Americans and presented logistical challenges to organizing as large an event as the Nov. 3 elections.

“The items are the post office and the $3.5 billion for mail-in voting,” Trump told Fox Business Network, saying Democrats want to give the post office $25 billion. “If we don’t make the deal, that means they can’t have the money, that means they can’t have universal mail-in voting.”

This appears to go WAY beyond an "election issue" so it appeared to me to belong in the general thread.

If I'm wrong, the I hope that the mods will move the thread to a new sub-section titled "How To Destroy The Democratic Process By Giving People The Choice Between Dying And Voting".

Trump cares for two things and two things only:
Reelection, and
Donald J. Trump.

One way or another, we just have to vote him out of office in November. This country deserves better.

Trump cares for two things and two things only:
Reelection, and
Donald J. Trump.

One way or another, we just have to vote him out of office in November. This country deserves better.

We may not get the chance to vote him out if Trump is allowed to cheat like this.

Due to the 2020 covid-19 pandemic, the DNC will officially concede the election.

not surprising.

Due to the 2020 covid-19 pandemic, the DNC will officially concede the election.

Oh wow look.

Another Trump supporter who has absolutely nothing to say about Trump basically cheating in the election by interfering in the operations of the USPS during the middle of a pandemic.

Oh wow look.

Another Trump supporter who has absolutely nothing to say about Trump basically cheating in the election by interfering in the operations of the USPS during the middle of a pandemic.

They’re all in for facism!

9FA19210-6C34-4BCE-BE18-CA214720166B.jpg

Oh wow look.

Slowing down voter fraud from the Left isn't cheating.

I'd worry more about the mental midget your party put up to challenge Trump.

Further down in the article...

Trump later said at a news briefing that if a deal was reached that included postal funding, he would not veto it.

The amount of money in question is less than 1% of either party’s current proposed aid package for Americans struggling because of the pandemic. Senate Republicans have floated a $1 trillion response while the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives passed a $3 trillion bill in May.

So the hold up with the bill is not the relatively insignificant funding stated, but the $2T worth of other stuff Democrats want to insert in this bill, including a whole host of items that have nothing to do with the pandemic response.

You could just as easily say that Democrats are holding up aid unless they get additional funding for universal mail-in voting.

This isn't true. Talk about spinning the facts to your side. How about if they said, "The Dems refuse to pass a Corona Virus Relief Bill unless the president adds in money for mail-in voting."

One more time. The president is against mail in voting because it is rife for voter fraud. Mail-in voting is where a ballot is mailed out to every registered voter. Anyone still on the voters rolls. Even my parents who are both deceased would get mailed a ballot. Whoever now lives in their old home would get my parent's ballots mailed to them. What is to stop them from voting for my mother and father?

The president is not against absentee voting. That is where a voter contacts the government and asks them to send them a ballot. So only the alive voters get to vote.

Oh wow look.

How is rejecting a demand for additional funding that the USPS is not legally entitled to receive a form of "interference?"

From Reuters

Right and obviously it has nothing to do with states requesting bailout money for their sagging finances as people continue to flee high taxed blue states and cities ravaged by rioting and looting. The D after the Name of Biden is all that matters as results, data, facts never resonate with radicals who truly are anti American and pro massive nanny state gov't which Biden/Harris will attempt to implement. Imagine a country like the state of California, a mecca for illegals, homeless, poverty stricken all living in tent cities. The party that supports defunding police, does nothing against rioters and looters, doesn't deserve to be in national power since they cannot even control their own state and cities

Back
Top Bottom