• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump hedges when asked whether he would transfer power peacefully

As i said, enjoy your TDS.

No, I'm sorry, but that crap doesn't work anymore.

This is it fellas. There is a point when Trump's comments stop being funny. And that point is now.

There is nothing crazy about expecting an American President to concede an election in the event that he loses the election.

There is nothing crazy about expecting an American President to say he's going to concede the election should he lose the election.

There is something cowardly about not standing up to Trump.

There is something disloyal about choosing trump over our Republic.

There is something crazy about not recognizing Trump's statement tonight as what it is, a declaration that he intends to not concede the election. He's panicking now. He knows he's going to lose. He's trying to find a way out. But there is no way out for him.

That's the cold, hard, logic of it.

Last edited:
It seems to me that some of the people participating in this thread are starting to panic. In my opinion, that's a good thing and long overdue. I disagree with Cardinal. I think that giving money to every cause that supports Biden and lawsuits against the Republicans; phone calls and e-mails to one's legislators (if one is a US citizen); and maybe getting out to a peaceful demonstration is what all of us need to do to stop Trump. If it doesn't stop him, at least we tried hard. He has been cutting down the USPS; allowing Russia to put a bounty on the heads of US soldiers; doing nothing to get factories producing supplies needed to fight covid19. What must he do to show us he wants to drive the US into the ground? Apparently, he has to say he will not allow a peaceful transfer of power.

You're missing the point. The question was "if you lose the election on Nov 3" - it's very possible the election won't be decided for weeks afterward.

Actually you missed the point. That wasn’t the question although I can see how you might think it was due to the way the article referenced put it, although you might note that the November 3 was not in quotes.

Here’s the actual exchange with actual quotes:

Asked by a reporter whether he would “commit here today for a peaceful transfer of all power after the election,” noting the violence that has arisen in some cities, Mr. Trump demurred. “We’re going to have to see what happens,” he said. “You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster.”

“We want to get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very peaceful — there won’t be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation,” he added. “The ballots are out of control. You know it. And you know who knows it better than anybody else? The Democrats know it better than anyone else.”

Trump is just continuing to try to destroy Americans faith in the electoral process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donald Trump: 'If I lose, I don’t think you will ever see me again'

Sure sounds like a man who doesn’t plan on leaving. Maybe he’ll have his staff mess with the keyboards so the new team has a difficult time typing messages. Or maybe Melanie will see what furniture from the WH she can steal.

The problem is, in his deranged mind, he's not a loser, and he can't be a loser, and there's something wrong with the world if he's a loser.

Trump will not concede.

He's telegraphing his intentions.

We all have to be prepared for this.

I find this thread by Asha Rangappa to help in terms of restoring strength.

It is important to take note and be prepared for the unprecedented actions Trump says he intends to take after the election. But it is also important not to allow his *wishful* reality to *become the reality. To do that, consider Trump's psychological POV right now:

Every time Trump spouts this kind of garbage, he is revealing that he is TERRIFIED. Ab. So. Lute. Ly. Terrified. His **existential** fear is losing. And he knows that there is a very good chance he is going to lose. And he can't do a damn thing about it. He will be a LOSER.

Remember that in pretty much every instance Trump has faced like this in the past, he's had an exit strategy. He walks away. But he can't get out of the election. He's like a mail-order bride who has to go through with it. Except in his case, if he loses, he may end up in jail.

This situation is like the coronavirus. He understands the reality, he knows he can't escape it, so his only option is to create an alternate reality. Reality, however, caught up with him with COVID. So it is up to YOU to make sure the same happens with the election.

I and @davidashimer wrote about various possibilities in this piece. An important way to empower ourselves, in addition to VOTING, is for commentators and media to manage expectations.

To wit: We have a process in place for elections. That process will be followed, whether he likes it or not. Every vote will be counted. Due to the high volume of mail-in votes, there will be delay in reaching a final result, which is proof that our process is WORKING.

Wow, this is a great thread by Asha Rangappa.

Thank you for posting this.

She is super smart.

[/QUOTE]
Actually you missed the point. That wasn’t the question although I can see how you might think it was due to the way the article referenced put it, although you might note that the November 3 was not in quotes.

Here’s the actual exchange with actual quotes:

Asked by a reporter whether he would “commit here today for a peaceful transfer of all power after the election,” noting the violence that has arisen in some cities, Mr. Trump demurred. “We’re going to have to see what happens,” he said. “You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster.”

“We want to get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very peaceful — there won’t be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation,” he added. “The ballots are out of control. You know it. And you know who knows it better than anybody else? The Democrats know it better than anyone else.”

Trump is just continuing to try to destroy Americans faith in the electoral process.

Bullseye, like most Trump supporters, still cannot come to terms with the fact that Trump is a bad person and a disloyal citizen.

Last edited:
If G.W. Bush had rolled over and submitted to the Democrat's definition of "peaceful transfer of power" Al "Wooden Head" Gore would have been president.

All of this hand wringing by the left assuming Trump would not peacefully transfer a legitimately won election is being histrionic. This is why it so important that the 9th seat in the SCOTUS be filled BEFORE the election.

"The Atlantic’s Barton Gellman reports on the most concerning possibility: that Trump will first claim victory before mail ballots are tabulated, and then prevail on Republican-controlled state legislatures to appoint their state’s electoral college votes to Trump, circumventing the votes altogether."

Yes, that’s apparently the plan. Trump is trying to discredit the election results to give Republican state legislators cover to toss out the wishes of the voters in their states and throw the state’s electoral votes to Trump.

As the article you referenced states Republicans in Pennsylvania (currently the state that 538 expects to put Biden over 270) have discussed this with the Trump campaign.

Here’s the quote from the article:

In Pennsylvania, three Republican leaders told me they had already discussed the direct appointment of electors among themselves, and one said he had discussed it with Trump’s national campaign.
“I’ve mentioned it to them, and I hope they’re thinking about it too,” Lawrence Tabas, the Pennsylvania Republican Party’s chairman, told me. “I just don’t think this is the right time for me to be discussing those strategies and approaches, but [direct appointment of electors] is one of the options. It is one of the available legal options set forth in the Constitution.” He added that everyone’s preference is to get a swift and accurate count. “If the process, though, is flawed, and has significant flaws, our public may lose faith and confidence” in the election’s integrity.

Theres no need to ask Trump that question either but they do it anyway.

Duh? Didn’t you see/hear Trump’s answer?

If G.W. Bush had rolled over and submitted to the Democrat's definition of "peaceful transfer of power" Al "Wooden Head" Gore would have been president.

All of this hand wringing by the left assuming Trump would not peacefully transfer a legitimately won election is being histrionic. This is why it so important that the 9th seat in the SCOTUS be filled BEFORE the election.

He's already stated he will not accept mail-in ballots, and this is how a huge portion of the American population is going to vote.

The time to be concerned about Trump's fascism...is....NOW.

The time for people to stop apologizing for Trump...is...NOW.

You're missing the point. The question was "if you lose the election on Nov 3" - it's very possible the election won't be decided for weeks afterward.

What am I going to do? Laugh my butt off at your TDS. :LOL:

As i said, enjoy your TDS.

You ran out of gas long ago, you and the Rowers with the TDS that is long since glib, trite, banal, mundane -- the cliche' of this temporary spasm in US history.

It's hugely likely votes Trump & Rowers don't like won't get counted at all or won't matter if they are counted. Trump and You Trump Rowers are being absolutely clear on this. Making America Russia Instead, you guys are. You've failed from the outset to conceive of how and why you will never realize your malign design.

Putin and Trump are idiots of Biblical proportions who exceed a Shakespearean catastrophe and a Greek drama that ends with its predictable misery for all who suffer from what in modern terms is known as the Triumph of the Will Syndrome.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the Nov. 3 election to Democratic rival Joe Biden.

“We’re going to have to see what happens,” Trump, a Republican, told reporters at the White House when asked if he would commit to a peaceful transfer.

The president has sought repeatedly to cast doubt, preemptively, on the legitimacy of the election because of his concerns about mail-in voting, which Democrats have encouraged during the pandemic.

“The ballots are a disaster,” Trump said.
====================================================
This guy is dangerous.
then he said ballots, he is really worried about ballots and we have to get rid of them and there will be no transition of power, it will be a continuation...and no he was not joking.

Bush v Gore was a peaceful transfer of power.

Did you not read/hear what Trump said? TRUMP is the one who is saying he is not committed to a peaceful transfer of power. How is the left being histrionic when the President is making these statements?

No president who refuses to contemplate the peaceful transfer of power is fit to serve.

Worse are those totalitarians who believe it is his grand qualification for the office.

Once the country enters this realm of discourse it opens the door to the military to act against him. Trump himself is justifying it. Because a Potus who himself acts outside the Constitution and the law invites his removal in the name of restoring the norms the Potus is violating both knowingly and maliciously.

Last edited:
This election is going to be riddled with fraud because of the rise in mail-in voting.

We vote by mail in Washington state. We have all kinds of incidents where people vote multiple Times. They don’t even bother prosecuting it any more unless it involves one person voting 50 times.

You ran out of gas long ago, you and the Rowers with the TDS that is long since glib, trite, banal, mundane -- the cliche' of this temporary spasm in US history.

It's hugely likely votes Trump & Rowers don't like won't get counted at all or won't matter if they are counted. Trump and You Trump Rowers are being absolutely clear on this. Making America Russia Instead, you guys are. You've failed from the outset to conceive of how and why you will never realize your malign design.

Putin and Trump are idiots of Biblical proportions who exceed a Shakespearean catastrophe and a Greek drama that ends with its predictable misery for all who suffer from what in modern terms is known as the Triumph of the Will Syndrome.
he is actually exploring how he can get Republican Governors to pick loyalist Electors that will vote only for Trump regardless of how their electorate votes.

Bush v Gore was a peaceful transfer of power.

Did you not read/hear what Trump said? TRUMP is the one who is saying he is not committed to a peaceful transfer of power. How is the left being histrionic when the President is making these statements?

Also, it's very important to point out, it's not the "left" that is concerned.

It's everyone except Trump and Trump cultists.

This includes moderates who love their country.

This includes independents who love their country.

This includes centrists who love their country.

It isn't the left.

It's everyone BUT Trump and his cult.

This election is going to be riddled with fraud because of the rise in mail-in voting.

We vote by mail in Washington state. We have all kinds of incidents where people vote multiple Times. They don’t even bother prosecuting it any more unless it involves one person voting 50 times.
BS. There is absolutely no evidence mail in voting has fraud. Trump is just making it up because he knows he is going to lose and wants an out to challenge the election.

Nonsense. Trump appointed a commission soon after he was elected to find all this conspiracy theory fraud. They came up with nothing just like everyone else who has investigated it.

now you are just making crap up and throwing it at the wall hoping it sticks...according you your own Election commission voter fraud is very rare in your state.

No, I'm sorry, but that crap doesn't work anymore.

This is it fellas. There is a point when Trump's comments stop being funny. And that point is now.

There is nothing crazy about expecting an American President to concede an election in the event that he loses the election.

There is nothing crazy about expecting an American President to say he's going to concede the election should he lose the election.

There is something cowardly about not standing up to Trump.

There is something disloyal about choosing trump over our Republic.

There is something crazy about not recognizing Trump's statement tonight as what it is, a declaration that he intends to not concede the election. He's panicking now. He knows he's going to lose. He's trying to find a way out. But there is no way out for him.

That's the cold, hard, logic of it.
Not a spec of logic in the entire post; emotions, opinions, a touch of false bravado, but no logic.

"The Atlantic’s Barton Gellman reports on the most concerning possibility: that Trump will first claim victory before mail ballots are tabulated, and then prevail on Republican-controlled state legislatures to appoint their state’s electoral college votes to Trump, circumventing the votes altogether."

That is absolutely scary as hell. 😟

Also, it's very important to point out, it's not the "left" that is concerned.

It's everyone except Trump and Trump cultists.

This includes moderates who love their country.

This includes independents who love their country.

This includes centrists who love their country.

It isn't the left.

It's everyone BUT Trump and his cult.

To include the armed forces.

Back
Top Bottom