• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump hedges when asked whether he would transfer power peacefully

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the Nov. 3 election to Democratic rival Joe Biden.

“We’re going to have to see what happens,” Trump, a Republican, told reporters at the White House when asked if he would commit to a peaceful transfer.

The president has sought repeatedly to cast doubt, preemptively, on the legitimacy of the election because of his concerns about mail-in voting, which Democrats have encouraged during the pandemic.

“The ballots are a disaster,” Trump said.
====================================================
This guy is dangerous.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the Nov. 3 election to Democratic rival Joe Biden.

“We’re going to have to see what happens,” Trump, a Republican, told reporters at the White House when asked if he would commit to a peaceful transfer.

The president has sought repeatedly to cast doubt, preemptively, on the legitimacy of the election because of his concerns about mail-in voting, which Democrats have encouraged during the pandemic.

This guy is dangerous.

He was joking. Everything he says us a laugh riot.

He was joking. Everything he says us a laugh riot.

I'm not laughing. The future of our democratic system depends on an orderly transfer of power on Jan. 20. Trump has already commented that he liked the idea of being president for life or running for a 3rd term.

These comments are treasonous. If we had a normally functioning government he would be removed from office either via house and senate or being 25th’d.

This guy is dangerous.
Have any of those reporters asked biden the same question?

I am going to play Devil‘s Advocate here for a moment and suggest that Trump answered that question with the full intention of triggering his opposition and fueling his base.

Appreciate who this is coming from.

Reporter: "Will you commit to a peaceful transferal of power after the election?"

Trump: "Get rid of the ballots and there won't be a transfer, frankly. It'll be a continuation."

That was a lot less of a "hedge" and pretty specifically an announcement of what he plans to do.

This guy is dangerous.
Actually, he's being truthful. Making a blanket statement like that with all the possible situations would be foolish.

There is no doubt he is going to refuse to accept losing.

Donald Trump: 'If I lose, I don’t think you will ever see me again'

Sure sounds like a man who doesn’t plan on leaving. Maybe he’ll have his staff mess with the keyboards so the new team has a difficult time typing messages. Or maybe Melanie will see what furniture from the WH she can steal.

Elections smellections, who needs that silly stuff.

Donald Trump: 'If I lose, I don’t think you will ever see me again'

Sure sounds like a man who doesn’t plan on leaving. Maybe he’ll have his staff mess with the keyboards so the new team has a difficult time typing messages. Or maybe Melanie will see what furniture from the WH she can steal.

The only thing I can say to not hearing from Trump again is "Don't threaten me with a good time."

Actually, he's being truthful. Making a blanket statement like that with all the possible situations would be foolish.

Under what situation would it be acceptable to not peacefully transfer power if he loses?

Reporter: "Will you commit to a peaceful transferal of power after the election?"

Trump: "Get rid of the ballots and there won't be a transfer, frankly. It'll be a continuation."

That was a lot less of a "hedge" and pretty specifically an announcement of what he plans to do.

It’s treason. And and...we are all exhausted from Obama counterfactuals but...just put those words in Obama’s mouth heading into his re-election. HAHAHAHAHAH

Under what situation would it be acceptable to not peacefully transfer power if he loses?
You're missing the point. The question was "if you lose the election on Nov 3" - it's very possible the election won't be decided for weeks afterward.

It’s treason. And and...we are all exhausted from Obama counterfactuals but...just put those words in Obama’s mouth heading into his re-election. HAHAHAHAHAH

[Reallllly long drawn-out sigh]

Yeah.

F5CB5A5E-4170-4765-A7F2-1BA56F5C11CD.jpeg
This is how the world sees us. This is what Trump’s base wants for our country. To be a failed autocrat shithole. Like Venezuela

This guy is dangerous.

No president who refuses to contemplate the peaceful transfer of power is fit to serve.

This is what I read in "The New York Times". I believe that he will accept only a peaceful continuation, not a peaceful transfer. It is not exactly what The Founding Fathers had in mind.

You're missing the point. The question was "if you lose the election on Nov 3" - it's very possible the election won't be decided for weeks afterward.

Your country is more important than your devotion to Trump.

It's clear that Trump will refuse to concede under every circumstance.

We know that now.

The question is, what are you going to do about it?

Back
Top Bottom