• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump has more primary votes than Romney received in all of 2012

lpast

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This primary has done if nothing else has brought into the bright limelight the Convention delegate swindles by both parties where they can actually choose whoever they want to run for potus and completely disregard the will of the voters.

This from a country that runs around the world sending "monitors" to other countries to monitor their elections. The american voter needs to start monitoring ours.

Even though its always been allowed, this is the first election that I remember that its become an issue with voters making many more americans aware of this sleezy means of controlling out vote.

After his five Republican primary wins Tuesday night, Donald Trump has received more popular votes this primary season than Mitt Romney did in all of 2012. And if he keeps pace, Trump could receive more GOP votes than any presidential candidate in decades.

As reported by Politico, Trump's wins across the Northeast this week put him past 10 million votes. That equals roughly 250,000 more than Romney collected as the eventual nominee four years ago and 153,000 more than Republican nominee John McCain garnered in 2008.
Trump needs only 800,000 more votes to surpass George W. Bush, who earned a record 10.8 million popular votes on his way to the White House in 2000.
For context, Politico spoke with University of Minnesota political science professor Eric Ostermeier, who noted that just eight candidates have topped more than 7.5 million Republican votes since the party instituted its primary system in 1976.

This primary has done if nothing else has brought into the bright limelight the Convention delegate swindles by both parties where they can actually choose whoever they want to run for potus and completely disregard the will of the voters.

This from a country that runs around the world sending "monitors" to other countries to monitor their elections. The american voter needs to start monitoring ours.

Even though its always been allowed, this is the first election that I remember that its become an issue with voters making many more americans aware of this sleezy means of controlling out vote.

After his five Republican primary wins Tuesday night, Donald Trump has received more popular votes this primary season than Mitt Romney did in all of 2012. And if he keeps pace, Trump could receive more GOP votes than any presidential candidate in decades.

As reported by Politico, Trump's wins across the Northeast this week put him past 10 million votes. That equals roughly 250,000 more than Romney collected as the eventual nominee four years ago and 153,000 more than Republican nominee John McCain garnered in 2008.
Trump needs only 800,000 more votes to surpass George W. Bush, who earned a record 10.8 million popular votes on his way to the White House in 2000.
For context, Politico spoke with University of Minnesota political science professor Eric Ostermeier, who noted that just eight candidates have topped more than 7.5 million Republican votes since the party instituted its primary system in 1976.

Trump has just 39% of the vote but 48% of the delegates, if the vote is sleazy and rigged Trump is the one benefiting from it.

Trump has just 39% of the vote but 48% of the delegates, if the vote is sleazy and rigged Trump is the one benefiting from it.

I guess you havent read anything about a contested gop convention and colorado and wyoming giving cruz all the delegates without voters being allowed to vote.

I guess you havent read anything about a contested gop convention and colorado and wyoming giving cruz all the delegates without voters being allowed to vote.

I guess you have never seen how the GOPs primaries work. Colorado has almost always used a convention system to pick delegates.

I guess you have never seen how the GOPs primaries work. Colorado has almost always used a convention system to pick delegates.

I dont dispute that, I clearly said this primary has brought it into the limelight. Voters didnt make an issue out of it in the past but they are this primary. If you read anything you had to read about the voters being fired up over colorado and the process. Lets say they woke up

I dont dispute that, I clearly said this primary has brought it into the limelight. Voters didnt make an issue out of it in the past but they are this primary. If you read anything you had to read about the voters being fired up over colorado and the process. Lets say they woke up

Why is having a conventions which are similar to caucuses such a problem? No one is whining about Iowa.

The only thing the voters should be fired up about is thier own ignorance.

Why is having a conventions which are similar to caucuses such a problem? No one is whining about Iowa.

The only thing the voters should be fired up about is thier own ignorance.

True many were oblivious to the delegate rules that have been in place for years but this is a passionate primary. There are very diverse forces in the GOP and conservatives like cruz arent the hot pick.

Americas working class is lashing out and with very good reason. Ted Cruz will never be the champion of middle class working class americans. That has no racial or gender component to it. ITS all about working americans.

I definitely woke up to the process. My state votes late in primaries, so I really only knew about winner takes all and proportional. Didn't really look at the other states and how they did things. I ok with a state party choosing All or Nothing or Proportional.

The one thing I don't like about either side, is the Super Delegates and the unvoted for delegates.

I'm a democrat, but honestly I think it would be unwise for the republican party to NOT nominate Trump. If the delegate system were to rid of essentially all of those votes, the party would be even more divided, and I think there would be serious issues within the party.

That is why I think for better or for worse, the nominee for the GOP should be Trump. Honestly, I like him the most over all the other candidates.

And I'm not an expert on this stuff by all means. But yeah if the GOP elects someone other than Trump at this point, I think the democrats win hands down.

Back
Top Bottom