• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in admin

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Totally above board, no doubt. So the assurances from the administration that everything's fine are coming from people who have no idea what Trump has been doing with his benefactor.

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration
President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladimir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.

The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States’ main adversaries.

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.
Former U.S. officials said that Trump’s behavior is at odds with the known practices of previous presidents, who have relied on senior aides to witness meetings and take comprehensive notes then shared with other officials and departments.

Trump’s secrecy surrounding Putin “is not only unusual by historical standards, it is outrageous,” said Strobe Talbott, a former deputy secretary of state now at the Brookings Institution, who participated in more than a dozen meetings between President Bill Clinton and then-Russian President Boris Yeltsin in the 1990s. “It handicaps the U.S. government — the experts and advisers and Cabinet officers who are there to serve [the president] — and it certainly gives Putin much more scope to manipulate Trump.”

Last edited:
If this were a rational country, Trump's executive powers would be suspended until full investigations into his relations with Russia were completed. That he's still making decisions for the most powerful country on earth stretches credulity to its breaking point.

Totally above board, no doubt. So the assurances from the administration that everything's fine are coming from people who have no idea what Trump has been doing with his benefactor.

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration

One question. Is there any law or regulation regarding this process which REQUIRES the President to do otherwise, or is this just something people would prefer the President do?

Trump's out of control, and guilty as hell. He only survives due to GOP abetting. They're as bad as he is, for allowing this. It's a really sad day for the country ...

One question. Is there any law or regulation regarding this process which REQUIRES the President to do otherwise, or is this just something people would prefer the President do?

Trump supporters have been reduced exclusively to gas lighting now.

There's many abhorrent Presidential actions like this, that may not necessarily be covered by specific statute. It's Congress' job to reign him in. And the GOP are indolent. This would never occur if there was a Dem Senate majority.

Trump's out of control, and guilty as hell. He only survives due to GOP abetting. They're as bad as he is, for allowing this. It's a really sad day for the country ...

Adding onto Trump being the dumbest politician the country has ever seen with some "light treason" makes for peak embarrassment of the U.S.A.

Secret meetings between Putin and his puppet no one else in government is privy to, even after the fact? What could go wrong?

There's many abhorrent Presidential actions like this, that may not necessarily be covered by specific statute. It's Congress' job to reign him in. And the GOP are indolent. This would never occur if there was a Dem Senate majority.

Well, my point is that just because YOU and others consider it "abhorrent," that may be simply because of the particular individual and the allegations he is a "Siberian Candidate."

I asked a simple question, and if the answer is "NO, there is no requirement," then much like the demand to reveal one's tax returns it has little meaning except to claim some moral high ground. :shrug:

IMO (whataboutism about to pop up) Obama was not expecting to be overheard when he promised the Russian representative he would have more leeway when he was reelected.

We simply do not know for certain if other Presidents have not done the very same thing with other world leaders. :coffeepap:

Last edited:
Well, my point is that just because YOU and others consider it "abhorrent," that may be simply because of the particular individual and the allegations he is a "Siberian Candidate."

I asked a simple question, and if the answer is "NO, there is no requirement," then much like the demand to reveal one's tax returns it has little meaning except to claim some moral high ground. :shrug:

IMO (whataboutism about to pop up) Obama was not expecting to be overheard when he promised the Russian representative he would have more leeway when he was reelected.

We simply do not know for certain if other President's have not done the very same thing with other world leaders. :coffeepap:

If Trump has only done this with Putin would you find that concerning? If he's never requested this treatment with May, Merkel, etc. Only Putin, then what would you think?

When senior officials have to ask US Intel for Russian reaction to get some hint of what was discussed, you OK with that?

We simply do not know for certain if other Presidents have not done the very same thing with other world leaders. :coffeepap:

You are trying to inject rationality into hate Trump thread. A noble effort, but a waste of time.

If Trump has only done this with Putin would you find that concerning? If he's never requested this treatment with May, Merkel, etc. Only Putin, then what would you think?

Do you really wanna hear the logic pretzelling to defend this?

I don't actually know the answer that one, and look forward to finding out but I assure you this much:
On the eve of Trump's exit or even well before, laws WILL be explored that deal with this issue.

When elected officials abuse their power to the extent Trump has, there are remedies, and if there aren't, said remedies will be enacted posthaste.

I'm sure that sometime in 1994 Bill Clinton did something, something so it's alright.

No.

I've been in this Forum long enough for people to know where I stand when it comes to alleging someone has done something wrong absent proof of guilt. Especially when it is all naked speculation.

Innocent until proven guilty is my motto.

I asked the original question because if there is no law/regulation preventing it and other President's may have done the same, then decrying Trump when he does it is hypocritical.

Nor is it automatically damning evidence except to those who DO think he was a Siberian Candidate.

Now ask me how I feel or what I believe AFTER Mueller makes his report and I can examine FACTS used and see what crimes are alleged.

Until then, as far as I am concerned Mr. Trump can have all the secret or public meeting he wants while serving as President, because I don't currently believe he is a "criminal, traitor, or spy."

He didn't do it He did it, but it's not illegal It's illegal, but he can't be indicted He can be indicted, but self-pardoning is okay

You can usually pick a response out of the Trump Apologist Cycle.

My overarching point was that Presidents operate in many areas bereft of statute, by the nature of their office. It then becomes Congress' job to reign him in. That has not happened.

Your last statement is an interesting one though, and has some validity in my opinion. The problem I and others have with Trump is his kowtowing to Putin, and his taking positions against the U.S. government. And for that, we can not, and do not, trust him. Not at all.

This really stands out:

”Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Putin...there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years"

Sarah Sanders' non-denial denial:

"The Washington Post story is so outrageously inaccurate it doesn't even warrant a response.The liberal media has wasted two years trying to manufacture a fake collusion scandal instead of reporting the fact that unlike President Obama, who let Russia and other foreign adversaries push America around, President Trump has actually been tough on Russia."

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1084259112249114626

Trump would have been leading the charge in screaming bloody murder if Obama had done anything like this.

Outrage at a U.S. president holding secret meetings with Putin without even top admin officials knowing what is being discussed should transcend partisanship.

If this were a rational country, Trump's executive powers would be suspended until full investigations into his relations with Russia were completed. That he's still making decisions for the most powerful country on earth stretches credulity to its breaking point.

Oh, and by the way, this guy who's making decisions for the entire country, and who is credibly suspected of working in the interests of a hostile foreign government? Just a reminder that he shut down the Federal government, leading to an ever increasing level of chaos every day.

Back
Top Bottom