• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump has been implicated in several federal crimes, but here's why experts say he hasn't faced lega

What's the next step? The "campaign fund" violation is the same crime that caused Nixon to resign. If it is premeditated, with knowledge, it's a felony.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why...th-crimes-in-the-mueller-russia-probe-2018-12

Federal prosecutors implicated President Donald Trump in felonies for the first time last week, stating he directed illegal payments to two women, with whom he is accused of having affairs, in an effort to protect his presidential campaign.

I think "the Donald" grew up with big money and surrounded by lawyers and Worked diligently at the edges of many laws. This experience probably allowed him to develop a communication technique with lawyers that will keep the gloves off when they try to connect Trump directly to most actions. Everything is brushed off to, "I'm not a lawyer and I hired lawyers to do that so it would be lagal." That's a very good argumentand undeniably true. It's gonna' be fun to watch, no doubt. Now, if Melania shows up in Court and says he was trying to hide the affairs from her, it's case closed.
/

I don't want to start a fight but I believe influencing the campaign has to be the ONLY reason paying hush money could be considered a campaign expense.
iow, saving himself or his family embarrassment, or to not tarnish the Trump brand would be a defense.
Of course, Cohen and Pecker had to answer for themselves.
Cohen's plea didn't affect Trump's defense.

Hypothetical here, but if Cohen or Pecker as witnesses claim that Trump directed them and did so in the context of the campaign (for example, 'we can't have this getting out or it'll blow my chances') and this is corroborated by other witnesses (other lawyers, staffers in the room at the time or on separate occasions having a similar conversation with the candidate) then the court may well find that it was all because he was running. Remember also the ever-evolving body of lies and excuses can be used to demonstrate intent as well.

Can you honestly say Trump would NOT have paid hush money if he had not been running for President ??

Exactly. The hush money was trying to avoid his wife and family finding out and to avoid embarrassment publicly in general. The only reason for the claim it was "a campaign contribution" (an absurd claim) is to embarrass the President, no other reason. There is no criminal case, but impeachment can be for anything or nothing at all.

Trump didn't pay off the women - that was done by Cohen and AMI.

Are you serious? Trump reimbursed Cohen, according to Giuliani. The guy who sends the hit man to do his job is also guilty of murder.

It is an absurd claim creating a non-existent law. Basically they are claiming that one a person announces running for any office - or holding any office - those people and only those people - can not pay hush money to avoid embarrassment since any campaign money spent makes it no longer hush money as that has to be made public - and would be declared an illegal used of the money claiming the exact opposite, that it was not spent on the campaign and therefore was theft of campaign funds.

Who would it have an impact on?

Once upon a time, the electorate viewed infidelity harshly. Maybe there are still some folks who believe it is a negative. Sounds like many people in the Trump camp thought so.

I will own Trump's accomplishments so far. He's either done or is attempting to do what I elected him to do. Keeping promises.

Thank you. That is an intelligent response. At least you have moved beyond the pathetic idea that you can defend Trump's character and matured to his accomplishments. While that is an all together different argument, at least it can be a sane one. Well done!

The other sane argument is to argue whether person's with grave character flaws should be removed from the White House, regardless of their accomplishments. If so, when (vote or impeachment)... again, another intelligent discussion can be had.

Exactly. The hush money was trying to avoid his wife and family finding out and to avoid embarrassment publicly in general. The only reason for the claim it was "a campaign contribution" (an absurd claim) is to embarrass the President, no other reason. There is no criminal case, but impeachment can be for anything or nothing at all.

Cohen, AMI and Weisselberg are all testifying that it was done expressly to support the campaign. And Guiliani admitted it on TV.

Once upon a time, the electorate viewed infidelity harshly. Maybe there are still some folks who believe it is a negative. Sounds like many people in the Trump camp thought so.

Perhaps more Democrats would have voted for him...;)

We all knew Trump was a Playboy from way back.

Perhaps more Democrats would have voted for him...;)

We all knew Trump was a Playboy from way back.

I'm sure melania knew too.

So I feel no sympathy for her.

Literally everything that campaigns spend money on is designed to influence an election.

Yes, and everything a football team does on the field is to win games. However, similar to a football game, campaigns are must comply with rules and laws. You break the rules or laws then be prepared to suffer the consequences.

That appears to be what happened. All parties to the transaction, other than Trump, say it was hush money designed to protect the campaign. This would include Cohen, Pecker, Weisselberg, Daniels and McDougal. This would be consistent with the timing and urgency of the transaction post Hollywood tape reveal, pre-election.

If this were an isolated incidence of corruption, Trump would enjoy greater grace from the electorate. However, he is buried in controversies of corruption, a well documented liar and his whole position on this is rolling disclosure. Most intelligent people believe he has fully played his hand of shadow of a doubt and now stands naked, guilty as hell.

The defense of Donald Trump against ALL charges is beginning to look futile, and those that do so are increasingly looking pathetic in their loyalty. Like his policies, argue that he should run out his term and let the voters decide, but admit the man is despicable.

As with us all, there are three potential checks on Trump's conduct: his person, those around him, and society. Personally, he was raised rich, never had to report to a board of directors in his company (tho presumably there was someone he had to answer to during "The Apprentice), and has paid few prices for his "sins." He had to settle some discrimination cases back in the day, plus pay up due to the fraud that was Trump U, but that's probably minor stuff for him. His aides and cabinet members (excepting Steve Miller, apparently) have indicated that they told him stuff was wrong or illegal, but that he does it anyway. The third check might include his supporters, but many are 5th Avenue types and don't care how crooked he is or seems -- or republicans, but since he will sign anything they put in front of him and his appointees are reliably republican with respect to labor, consumers and the enviornment, what's not to like? Sure, he embarrasses us at the UN or internationally, but those are generally democrats' concerns.

If the economy should tank, expect to hear omiGod-we-didn't-realize-this-guy-was-crazy type comments from republicans and other supporters. Til then, or til Mueller Time, he'll skate.

Can you honestly say Trump would NOT have paid hush money if he had not been running for President ??

Yes, I can

Both MacDougals and Stormys affairs with Trump had been published in the media years before Trump ran. For some reason, Trump did not pay them to keep quiet then. Only just weeks before the election

Yes, I can

Both MacDougals and Stormys affairs with Trump had been published in the media years before Trump ran. For some reason, Trump did not pay them to keep quiet then. Only just weeks before the election

I don't recall anybody else saying these affairs were public knowledge before the campaign. Do you have a link?

Since these events happened years earlier and the hush money was paid only during 2016, I can say that the logical conclusion is that the campaign had everything to do with the money being paid.

John Edwards did the same and was found not quilty because the prosecutors couldn't prove Edwards would not have paid the hush money regardless of the campaign.

John Edwards did the same and was found not quilty (sic) because the prosecutors couldn't prove Edwards would not have paid the hush money regardless of the campaign.
Been there. Others have made that claim in this thread and were told it wasn't the same. Read the previous posts.

That appears to be what happened. All parties to the transaction, other than Trump, say it was hush money designed to protect the campaign. This would include Cohen, Pecker, Weisselberg, Daniels and McDougal. This would be consistent with the timing and urgency of the transaction post Hollywood tape reveal, pre-election.

If this were an isolated incidence of corruption, Trump would enjoy greater grace from the electorate. However, he is buried in controversies of corruption, a well documented liar and his whole position on this is rolling disclosure. Most intelligent people believe he has fully played his hand of shadow of a doubt and now stands naked, guilty as hell.

The defense of Donald Trump against ALL charges is beginning to look futile, and those that do so are increasingly looking pathetic in their loyalty. Like his policies, argue that he should run out his term and let the voters decide, but admit the man is despicable.

What a laugh,”Trump would enjoy greater grace” lol, lol. There isn’t one liberal that could say one good thing about Trump even if he cured cancer, so don’t even act like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wouldn't have had to declare it, that would be the difference.

That he should have declared it under the present circumstances (campaigning) and didn't, that's the crime. Now a rich guy with a good lawyer might be able to beat that rap - didn't John Edwards? But since trump can't get a decent lawyer anymore (and nobody else particularly wants to work for him) that's likely to be a problem for him.

*He wouldn't have had to declare it, that would be the difference.*

If campaign funds were used, yes the funds would have to be declared. Edwards didn't use campaign funds, some donors paid the hush money, undeclared and not guilty.

Back
Top Bottom