• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Golf Course in The Bronx Lost Money Last Year City Document Show

JMR

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3b30bc29f64_story.html?utm_term=.ac85f49ae36f

President Trump’s company operates a city-owned golf course in the Bronx under a contract that makes it far easier for Trump to turn a profit. New York City agreed to pay Trump’s massive irrigation bills. And, for the first four years, it didn’t require Trump to pay a cent in rent on 192 acres.

Despite all that, Trump’s course lost money for the first time last year — running $122,000 in the red, according to a new filing with the city.

For those who cannot access the Washington Post, a different link: Bronx golf course operated by Trump Org in the red by over $100,000 last year: report | TheHill

“He’s managed to do the impossible: get this amazing gift from the city, and lose money,” Geoffrey Croft, who works for watchdog group NYC Park Advocates, told the Post, adding that the Trump name’s “terrible reputation” and the club’s high golfing fees were to blame for the financial issues.

This is how Trump does business. He got a sweetheart deal from NYC and fails to deliver. He imagines the Trump Brand will convince city residents to pay $250 a round at a public course because he styled it to look like Scotland? Rounds played there have decreased each year it has operated. Next year he's supposed to pay rent...any wagers on that?

Oh joy among our DP Trump haters. One of his golf courses lost $100,000 last year.
Oh what fun.... I am-just so giddy! :golf:golf:cuckoo:

Now from the article:

According to its latest “income statement,” the course has also been dealing with a dispute over a gas pipe, which the Trump Organization says is “inadequate.”

The company blamed New York City for installing the pipe that caused the course’s losses by delaying its opening of a new clubhouse that hasn’t been able to turn a profit, according to the Post.

Before last year, the golf course had managed to turn a profit of about $500,000 per year, the newspaper reports.

So he has made about 2 million and lost $100,000 last year. 1.9 million profit .....not bad!

Oh joy among our DP Trump haters. One of his golf courses lost $100,000 last year.

Now from the article:

According to its latest “income statement,” the course has also been dealing with a dispute over a gas pipe, which the Trump Organization says is “inadequate.”

The company blamed New York City for installing the pipe that caused the course’s losses by delaying its opening of a new clubhouse that hasn’t been able to turn a profit, according to the Post.

Before last year, the golf course had managed to turn a profit of about $500,000 per year, the newspaper reports.

So he has made about 2 million and lost $100,000 last year. 1.9 million profit .....not bad!

Yes, while the city was paying for irrigation, and charging no rent for the property, Trump turned a "profit."

The city and Con Ed claim there is no problem with the gas pipe.

Business is way down and not going back up.

Do you believe he will make his rent payment next year?

The OPer is correct. Every square inch of green space in the Bronx should be eliminated as the will of the people. The Bronx should be covered 100% in concrete. Any local Democrat who votes for ANY green space should be thrown out of office.

To most Democrats plants of any kind - other than hemp, coca and poppy - are evil. That's why cities are dominated by Democrats - they hate nature. Republicans tend to like plants - why rural areas are always heavily Republican. Instead of a golf course, a coal burning power plant should be built there.

Yes, while the city was paying for irrigation, and charging no rent for the property, Trump turned a "profit."

It created some jobs. I bet the folks who depend on the golf course to put food on their table don't care, as long as they still have a job.

The OPer is correct. Every square inch of green space in the Bronx should be eliminated as the will of the people. The Bronx should be covered 100% in concrete. Any local Democrat who votes for ANY green space should be thrown out of office.

To most Democrats plants of any kind - other than hemp, coca and poppy - are evil. That's why cities are dominated by Democrats - they hate nature. Republicans tend to like plants - why rural areas are always heavily Republican. Instead of a golf course, a coal burning power plant should be built there.

Not only that, we need to abolish all those damn private businesses.

That has got to be the dumbest post I have read in quite a while. The city has botanical gardens, parks (Flushing Meadows and Central come to mind) and a zoo in the Bronx among other things. Manhattan just made a green space of the elevated rail line on the west side. Beautiful space, I toured some of it while my daughter was playing soccer. (At the local fields) Have been to Randall's Island a bunch of times for soccer tournaments, like 25 fields. Great place to walk along the water as well. Do you actually know anything about NYC?

I'm wondering how delusional you can get....you out do yourself!

It created some jobs. I bet the folks who depend on the golf course to put food on their table don't care, as long as they still have a job.

And unlike Trump's private clubs, they are most likely citizens...

That has got to be the dumbest post I have read in quite a while. The city has botanical gardens, parks (Flushing Meadows and Central come to mind) and a zoo in the Bronx among other things. Manhattan just made a green space of the elevated rail line on the west side. Beautiful space, I toured some of it while my daughter was playing soccer. (At the local fields) Have been to Randall's Island a bunch of times for soccer tournaments, like 25 fields. Great place to walk along the water as well. Do you actually know anything about NYC?

Was there one time over Christmas a few years ago. Time Square. Central Park. Checked out a few of the stores. The big Macys. Drove around well after midnight to check out Harlem, Brooklyn, and the next morning took the ferry to Stanton Island. Then decided not to waste the rest of our trip on NYC (the day we arrived, that night and part of the next day in NYC) because it sucks, so drove up to Maine for lobster instead. Back to Boston to eat at the ubber pricey Capital Cafe - which isn't a cafe - and then flew back home. Never care to go back.

In FACT major cities are all Democratic and rural and small town America is Republican. It is that way all over the USA. The core premise of my message is exactly accurate.

In FACT major cities are all Democratic and rural and small town America is Republican. It is that way all over the USA. The core premise of my message is exactly accurate.

Link to support your positive claim ALL major cities are Democratic ? I know this claim is 100 % B.S. because I live in a major U.S.city, and it is listed as the most conservative city in the U.S.

Now from the article:

It's not just one. His Scottish courses are a money pit.

Donald Trump's Scottish golf resorts suffer heavy losses | UK news | The Guardian

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

But, but emoluments

his isnt the only one having difficulties

MANY courses are across the country

Golf is dying, many experts say. According to one study by the golf industry group Pellucid Corp., the number of regular golfers fell from 30 to 20.9 million between 2002 and 2016. Ratings are down, equipment sales are lagging, and the number of rounds played annually has fallen.

Part of the bust can be blamed on the fallen fortunes of a single person: Tiger Woods. Golf boomed in the 1990s and early 2000s as the charismatic superstar raked in titles. Then, beginning in 2009, it faced a one-two punch of recession and bad press when its star golfer’s chronic infidelity came to light.

Dead Golf Courses Are the New NIMBY Battlefield - CityLab

have a friend who runs a course in Northern Virginia...one of the richest counties in America...he says he has seen a drop off in play of over 30% over the last 5 years

he isnt sure why number of people are dwindling....just that they are

he is selling more days and parties in his clubhouse...and less in his green fees, lessons, clubs, etc

golf just isnt as popular as it once was...and way too many courses around

Was there one time over Christmas a few years ago. Time Square. Central Park. Checked out a few of the stores. The big Macys. Drove around well after midnight to check out Harlem, Brooklyn, and the next morning took the ferry to Stanton Island. Then decided not to waste the rest of our trip on NYC (the day we arrived, that night and part of the next day in NYC) because it sucks, so drove up to Maine for lobster instead. Back to Boston to eat at the ubber pricey Capital Cafe - which isn't a cafe - and then flew back home. Never care to go back.

So in other words you have no idea what NYC is like. I was responding specifically to your lack of green space comment but we can examine NYC a bit closer. I am no expert but Times Square is now a tourist trap. You also need to get out of your car to experience it. You could have walked over to Rockefeller Center and seen the Rockettes. A Broadway or off Broadway play is a true NYC experience. You were close to the 1/2 price ticket outlet where they get rid of surplus tickets for that day's performance. Since you were near Central Park a wonderful day can be spent inside the Museum of Natural History / Hayden Planetarium. I remember seeing a Pink Floyd light show at the planetarium in addition to the usual star and planet shows. (Welcome to the Machine). There is also MOMA or the Guggenheim. One of the best times I had with my family was at the Guggenheim. There was a painting/picture on display of a white canvas with a single dot in the middle. We watched as these ladies oooed and aaahed over it. We could never figure out what was so interesting. Always made us laugh! But there is plenty of other art work to explore not to mention the building itself. There is Lincoln Center which is nice to explore and where you can take in a concert or opera if that is your thing. The Bronx Zoo is wonderful, especially with kids. In the winter they have it lit up with ice sculptures and lights. You can take the Circle Line around Manhattan or the ferry to Ellis Island. Queens has a botanical garden in addition to Flushing Meadow Park. The National Tennis Center is there along with Citi Field if you want to catch a Met game or the US Open at the end of August. Brooklyn has Coney Island where you can ride the Cyclone or see the Mets single A minor league team The Cyclones. Or just walk the boardwalk. Brooklyn also has the new arena where the Nets and Islanders play. In Manhattan there is also the new trade center and the memorial or a walk through Battery Park. On the east side is South Street Seaport with plenty of eateries and sights. Usually plenty of street performers in good weather. The Empire State Building is open to the public or the top of the rock at Rockefeller Center is an experience. The Bronx also has a botanical garden. I did a little sight seeing when I visited my daughter at Fordham University, its right across the street. This is only a small sample of what is available in NYC. Its too bad FAO Shwartz closed. You could spend hours going through that store. I haven't been to the new complex at the old rail yards but I hear that is a sight. Also the green space on the old elevated train route on the west side is a wonderful walk. China town is another experience and a great place to eat. This is just a sample and if doesn't suck IMHO. The NY Public Library with the Lions in front is also a sight. Great photo op. You can also take the subway almost anywhere. Not very familiar with Staten Island but its more residential than anything.

his isnt the only one having difficulties

MANY courses are across the country

Golf is dying, many experts say. According to one study by the golf industry group Pellucid Corp., the number of regular golfers fell from 30 to 20.9 million between 2002 and 2016. Ratings are down, equipment sales are lagging, and the number of rounds played annually has fallen.

Part of the bust can be blamed on the fallen fortunes of a single person: Tiger Woods. Golf boomed in the 1990s and early 2000s as the charismatic superstar raked in titles. Then, beginning in 2009, it faced a one-two punch of recession and bad press when its star golfer’s chronic infidelity came to light.

Dead Golf Courses Are the New NIMBY Battlefield - CityLab

have a friend who runs a course in Northern Virginia...one of the richest counties in America...he says he has seen a drop off in play of over 30% over the last 5 years

he isnt sure why number of people are dwindling....just that they are

he is selling more days and parties in his clubhouse...and less in his green fees, lessons, clubs, etc

golf just isnt as popular as it once was...and way too many courses around

It's possible that there are fewer golfers, but not enough of a drop to explain away a $600,000 change in annual performance. Supposedly the course realized
500G the prior year. A public course on city land, rent free, and all irrigation costs covered. I would be interested to see the reason for the such a collapse. Why the big expenses all the sudden?

It is not a surprise that suddenly there is a gas pipe problem, according to Trump. He made his buck and he'll find a way out.

You mean you weren't making the ridiculous argument that "every square inch of green space in the Bronx should be eliminated" like joko104 tried to insinuate you had?

LOL, that's joko104.

That's a ridiculous post. I would like to be able to say you've outdone yourself.

The coal plant comment is particularly ironic.

Back
Top Bottom