• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump fundamentally confuses climate change link with extreme cold weather: 'Global ...

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From The Independent

Trump fundamentally confuses climate change link with extreme cold weather: 'Global Warming? Please come back fast, we need you!'

Donald Trump has again appeared to fundamentally misunderstand climate change by suggesting extreme cold weather in the US is evidence global warming does not exist.

“In the beautiful Midwest, wind chill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded,” Mr Trump tweeted late on Monday evening.

“In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can’t last outside even for minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Waming (sic)? Please come back fast, we need you!” he added sarcastically.

It follows a number of recent tweets by the president expressing gleeful disregard for the scientific consensus that holds human carbon emissions responsible for recent global temperature increases.

COMMENT:-

You know, there are times when I almost start to believe that Mr. Trump's "ignorance" is a deliberately put on persona. Then I take my meds.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the US Department of Commerce released this handy infographic for Trump. Doubt it'll help, though.

storm.jpg

For those who are employed to disseminate antiscience propaganda on this forum, don't even attempt to engage me in a climate change debate.

Last edited:
From The Independent

Trump fundamentally confuses climate change link with extreme cold weather: 'Global Warming? Please come back fast, we need you!'

Donald Trump has again appeared to fundamentally misunderstand climate change by suggesting extreme cold weather in the US is evidence global warming does not exist.

“In the beautiful Midwest, wind chill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded,” Mr Trump tweeted late on Monday evening.

“In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can’t last outside even for minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Waming (sic)? Please come back fast, we need you!” he added sarcastically.

It follows a number of recent tweets by the president expressing gleeful disregard for the scientific consensus that holds human carbon emissions responsible for recent global temperature increases.

You know, there are times when I almost start to believe that Mr. Trump's "ignorance" is a deliberately put on persona. Then I take my meds.

Yes, he said "global waming"! Which is exactly what he's doing and why he has got to go.

From The Independent

1) I'm not sure I'd classify The Independent as "mainstream media".

2) Just like the earlier report noted in the article, this was a joke. It even says "he added sarcastically". To claim this demonstrates anything about his understanding of climate change, or any related confusion, is silly.

Article about the Polar Vortex and how disruption to it can lead to colder weather in some areas.

"Greenhouse gas emissions from human activities have warmed the globe by about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (1 C) over the past 50 years. However, the Arctic has warmed more than twice as much. Amplified Arctic warming is due mainly to dramatic melting of ice and snow in recent decades, which exposes darker ocean and land surfaces that absorb a lot more of the sun’s heat.

Because of rapid Arctic warming, the north/south temperature difference has diminished. This reduces pressure differences between the Arctic and mid-latitudes, weakening jet stream winds. And just as slow-moving rivers typically take a winding route, a slower-flowing jet stream tends to meander.

Large north/south undulations in the jet stream generate wave energy in the atmosphere. If they are wavy and persistent enough, the energy can travel upward and disrupt the stratospheric polar vortex. Sometimes this upper vortex becomes so distorted that it splits into two or more swirling eddies.

These “daughter” vortices tend to wander southward, bringing their very cold air with them and leaving behind a warmer-than-normal Arctic. One of these eddies will sit over North America this week, delivering bone-chilling temperatures to much of the nation."

Why Climate Change is Bringing the Polar Vortex South - The Crux

It was just a joke. Is this news worthy?

Sheesh.

From The Independent

Doesn't it warm the cockles of your heart to watch the President of the United States use the suffering (and yes, it's suffering) of millions of Americans in the Midwest to try to score obnoxious and ignorant points with his anti-science base?

From The Independent

There's a reason why the liberal left changed the terminology from global warming to climate change. They want to always be right, no matter the facts. Fact is, the Earth has gone through several periods of global warming (even when no people were present) and, yes, the climate is always changing. In my part of the country we are hovering close to zero the next day or two, to be followed by the 60's in a few days. So, yes, the climate changes pretty much every day.

It was just a joke. Is this news worthy?

Sheesh.

Trump have also made tweets like this one.

"The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/265895292191248385

Donald Trump also wants to spend billions of dollars propping up unprofitable coal plants.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...save-americas-failing-coal-fired-power-plants

Trump also want to abolish the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) for fossil fuel power plants that prevents up to 11,000 premature deaths each year.

https://www.lung.org/about-us/media/press-releases/mercury-and-air-toxics.html

Ignoring his own federal agencies that acknowledge manmade global warming and its devastating effects.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

From The Independent

Trump is right. Cold weather is evidence of global warming, as is hot weather, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, lunar eclipses, death of toads, rise in hostility among prison inmates, and tens of thousands of other things. Just read all the popular reports claiming to be supported by scientific facts.

So do most right wing idiots. The extreme cold is just another example (while extreme hot in the southern hemisphere) of the effects of climate change

Trump have also made tweets like this one.

"The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/265895292191248385

Donald Trump also wants to spend billions of dollars propping up unprofitable coal plants.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...save-americas-failing-coal-fired-power-plants

Trump also want to abolish the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) for fossil fuel power plants that prevents up to 11,000 premature deaths each year.

https://www.lung.org/about-us/media/press-releases/mercury-and-air-toxics.html

Ignoring his own federal agencies that acknowledge manmade global warming and its devastating effects.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

Yes, we are all aware Trump is anti-agw. I believe climate change because the evidence supports the claim. But, this really is not newsworthy. It's a joke, in poor taste, but a joke none the less.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the US Department of Commerce released this handy infographic for Trump. Doubt it'll help, though.

View attachment 67249144

For those who are employed to disseminate antiscience propaganda on this forum, don't even attempt to engage me in a climate change debate.

What I find amusing, it's the fossil fuel industry hiring their scientists to confuse the climate change issue with doubt and then releasing it to the public but not claiming they paid for the 'studies'.

But what's even more amusing, think of the amount of science used in the exploration for fossil fuel. Denying the science of climate change while using science to explore for those same sources of energy that help cause climate change.

From The Independent

great troll tweet from the president i loved it.

I live in central Minnesota and it is ****ING COLD right now!!!

-31F on my way in to work this morning.

stay warm dude.
i have co-workers that live in WI and they are under the same threat.
-40 is no joke and frankly i don't even think it is worth trying to go outside.
the risk to life is just too great.

honestly i see this getting more common as earth climate does shift scientists said that we are going
to enter a new mini ice age. this is probably the start.

https://principia-scientific.org/study-solar-cycle-to-cause-a-mini-ice-age-as-early-as-2020/

in the next few years we will see what happens.

stay warm dude.
i have co-workers that live in WI and they are under the same threat.
-40 is no joke and frankly i don't even think it is worth trying to go outside.
the risk to life is just too great.

honestly i see this getting more common as earth climate does shift scientists said that we are going
to enter a new mini ice age. this is probably the start.

https://principia-scientific.org/study-solar-cycle-to-cause-a-mini-ice-age-as-early-as-2020/

in the next few years we will see what happens.

It's actually not as bad right now as it was last night. Last night at about 8pm it was -25 but there were winds gusting to about 25mph or so. I don't know what the official wind chill temperatures were but I have never felt anything THAT cold in my life. Normally when an arctic air mass moves in and temperatures drop into the double digits below zero, there is very little wind. This cold snap was very unusual.

The good news is that they are forecasting temperatures in the 30s by Saturday.

Yes, we are all aware Trump is anti-agw. I believe climate change because the evidence supports the claim. But, this really is not newsworthy. It's a joke, in poor taste, but a joke none the less.

Still it's yet another example that Trump doesn't have any rational reasons for not believing his own federal agencies about climate change. Trump disregard for science also leads to destructive policies there fossil fuel companies gain huge influence over the administration.

“The memo was written by Robert E. Murray, a longtime Trump supporter who donated $300,000 to the president’s inauguration. In it, Mr. Murray, the head of Murray Energy, presented Mr. Trump with a wish list of environmental rollbacks just weeks after the inauguration.

Nearly a year later, the White House and federal agencies have completed or are on track to fulfill most of the 16 detailed requests, even with Monday’s decision by federal regulators to reject a proposal by Energy Secretary Rick Perry to subsidize struggling coal and nuclear plants.

The March 1 memo, which was obtained by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and shared with The New York Times, is addressed to Vice President Mike Pence. The sweeping wish list of regulatory overhauls includes ending regulations on greenhouse gas emissions and ozone and mine safety, as well as cutting the staff of the Environmental Protection Agency “at least in half” and overhauling the Labor Department’s office of mine safety.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/climate/coal-murray-trump-memo.html

“When the Trump administration laid out a plan this year that would eventually allow cars to emit more pollution, automakers, the obvious winners from the proposal, balked. The changes, they said, went too far even for them.

But it turns out that there was a hidden beneficiary of the plan that was pushing for the changes all along: the nation’s oil industry.

In Congress, on Facebook and in statehouses nationwide, Marathon Petroleum, the country’s largest refiner, worked with powerful oil-industry groups and a conservative policy network financed by the billionaire industrialist Charles G. Koch to run a stealth campaign to roll back car emissions standards,a New York Times investigation has found”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/climate/cafe-emissions-rollback-oil-industry.html

1) I'm not sure I'd classify The Independent as "mainstream media".

I will agree that "The Independent" does not qualify as AMERICAN "mainstream media".

However, my perspective extend further than simply "within the actual territorial limits of the United States of America and bounded by what is taught in American public schools".

I do acknowledge that, for some people, their perspective DOES NOT extend further than simply "within the actual territorial limits of the United States of America and bounded by what is taught in American public schools".

2) Just like the earlier report noted in the article, this was a joke. It even says "he added sarcastically". To claim this demonstrates anything about his understanding of climate change, or any related confusion, is silly.

Did you know that "sarcastically" and "jokingly" do NOT mean the same thing?

In my part of the country we are hovering close to zero the next day or two, to be followed by the 60's in a few days. So, yes, the climate changes pretty much every day.

You are talking about "weather" and not "climate".

Are you in one of the areas of the country where it is so cold that the beer companies can't deliver the beer because it freezes solid unless they use heated trucks (and there aren't enough heated trucks)?

Now THAT (a beer shortage) is something that no one would get upset about if Mr. Trump declared it was a "National Emergency" and mobilized the military for disaster relief.

The libs originally came up with this global warming bs.When they were proved wrong as usual they started calling it climate change.Just wait,in 6 months when its 100 degrees outside they will make ass's of themselves again.

From The Independent

I want to see his college diploma. I find it almost impossible to believe that he has a postsecondary education. The man is a colossal ignoramus.

What disturbed me most about this latest Twitter diarrhea was the plea for global warming to "come back". Climate change is likely humanity's greatest existential threat; and this asshole is encouraging it.

There's a reason why the liberal left changed the terminology from global warming to climate change. They want to always be right, no matter the facts. Fact is, the Earth has gone through several periods of global warming (even when no people were present) and, yes, the climate is always changing. In my part of the country we are hovering close to zero the next day or two, to be followed by the 60's in a few days. So, yes, the climate changes pretty much every day.

Climate does not change every day. Weather changes every day, or most days.

Back
Top Bottom