• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump found in contempt of court =has been fined $10,000 a day until he complies ........

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
CNN —
A New York judge is holding Donald Trump in civil contempt after the state’s attorney general’s office said he did not comply with a subpoena for documents as part of its investigation into the former President’s company.

Judge Arthur Engoron said Trump failed to abide by his order to comply with the subpoena, and that his attorneys failed to show how a search of materials held by Trump was conducted. Engoron said Trump would be fined $10,000 a day until he complies.

FILE - White House chief of staff Mark Meadows speaks with reporters outside the White House, Oct. 26, 2020, in Washington. The House panel investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection says it has no choice but to move forward with contempt charges against former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.
________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________
“Mr. Trump, I know you take your business seriously and I take mine seriously. I hereby hold you in civil contempt and fine you $10,000 per day until you purge that contempt,” Engoron said at a hearing Monday. A written decision with a start date for fines is expected Tuesday.

Trump plans to appeal the decision, his attorney Alina Habba told reporters.

“We respectfully disagree with the court’s decision today,” Habba said. “All documents, as I explained, responsive to the subpoena were already produced to the attorney general months ago.”

New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office has beeninvestigating the Trump Organization for more than two years and previously said her office found multiple misleading or fraudulent misstatements and omissions in the Trump Organization’s financial statements, which were provided to lenders and insurers, among others, as part of its investigation.

Andrew Amer, with the attorney general’s office, said that Trump has failed to produce “even a single responsive document” for a subpoena that was issued to him in December.

“We are being hampered in our efforts to have a complete understanding because we don’t have evidence from the person who sits at the top of the organization,” Amer said.

Kevin Wallace, with the attorney general’s office, said in some instances it’s been “like pulling teeth” to get documents needed for the investigation, and describing the Trump Organization as a closely-held family company with 500 entities and millions of dollars moving around.

In court, Habba said the former president does not believe he is above the law, but simply does not have the types of written communications that were sought by the subpoena, but that he produced hundreds of thousands of documents through his assistants. Habba said she herself searched Trump’s hard copy calendars and physical file locations, and even interviewed her client in Florida.

Last edited:
He won't pay. They're going to have to seize his property.

You may be right. But of course, he does own property in NY worth trillions of dollars.
Also, his campaign war chest has something like $110 million he scammed off the Trumper dupes. And I have no doubt he will raid that for any purpose he wants. So he can pay if he wants to.

You may be right. But of course, he does own property in NY worth trillions of dollars.
Also, his campaign war chest has something like $110 million he scammed off the Trumper dupes. And I have no doubt he will raid that for any purpose he wants. So he can pay if he wants to.

When you consider yourself above the law, its the principle of the matter.

In court, Habba said the former president does not believe he is above the law, but simply does not have the types of written communications that were sought by the subpoena, ...

Well trained by the New York Mafia, don't put it in writing, don't leave a paper trail that can lead back to The Don.

WW

Now it’s Garland’s turn……..

The only thing that would possibly impact him is jailing him on contempt.

I don't know whether this particular sort of contempt can be done summarily - that is without any sort of hearing - since that's usually for in-court conduct the judge personally observes, and I'm not entirely sure how this lines up with that. But there is usually also a path through a contempt hearing for other contemptuous conduct. From what I read, the judge consciously chose not to go the jail route. (Which may well be to avoid providing further opportunity for delay, or simply because such an order wouldn't be upheld).

10k means nothing to him. His idiots will pay via his PAC.

This is the greatest, most amazing, most disturbing and most damning evidence of Trump's corruption yet! This time, may there be no doubt, he's going to jail for the rest of his life!!!!

We finally got him, mother****ers!!!! It's party time!!!

CNN —
A New York judge is holding Donald Trump in civil contempt after the state’s attorney general’s office said he did not comply with a subpoena for documents as part of its investigation into the former President’s company.

Judge Arthur Engoron said Trump failed to abide by his order to comply with the subpoena, and that his attorneys failed to show how a search of materials held by Trump was conducted. Engoron said Trump would be fined $10,000 a day until he complies.

FILE - White House chief of staff Mark Meadows speaks with reporters outside the White House, Oct. 26, 2020, in Washington. The House panel investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection says it has no choice but to move forward with contempt charges against former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.

“Mr. Trump, I know you take your business seriously and I take mine seriously. I hereby hold you in civil contempt and fine you $10,000 per day until you purge that contempt,” Engoron said at a hearing Monday. A written decision with a start date for fines is expected Tuesday.

“We respectfully disagree with the court’s decision today,” Habba said. “All documents, as I explained, responsive to the subpoena were already produced to the attorney general months ago.”

New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office has beeninvestigating the Trump Organization for more than two years and previously said her office found multiple misleading or fraudulent misstatements and omissions in the Trump Organization’s financial statements, which were provided to lenders and insurers, among others, as part of its investigation.

Andrew Amer, with the attorney general’s office, said that Trump has failed to produce “even a single responsive document” for a subpoena that was issued to him in December.

“We are being hampered in our efforts to have a complete understanding because we don’t have evidence from the person who sits at the top of the organization,” Amer said.

Kevin Wallace, with the attorney general’s office, said in some instances it’s been “like pulling teeth” to get documents needed for the investigation, and describing the Trump Organization as a closely-held family company with 500 entities and millions of dollars moving around.

In court, Habba said the former president does not believe he is above the law, but simply does not have the types of written communications that were sought by the subpoena, but that he produced hundreds of thousands of documents through his assistants. Habba said she herself searched Trump’s hard copy calendars and physical file locations, and even interviewed her client in Florida.

Trump won't pay the fines and nothing and nobody will force him to, at least not so far.
Thus, if there's no TEETH to ENFORCE, the contempt charge and fines amount to a "sternly worded letter from Susan Collins" who will then say "he's learned his lesson" and then Trump ignoring contempt charges will also be normalized.

T**** made a mistake by running for president. He thought he had no chance of winning. Some Republicans had been purging voter rolls for years prior via Interstate Crosscheck under the bogus notion that a lot of people were registered and voting in more than one state*.

* I heard this morning that Mark Meadows is/was actually registered in multiple states. I wonder if he was dumb enough to vote in more than one state.

CNN —

10,000 a day ends up to 3.6 million per year. I wonder if he would just pay the fines indefinitely

Which properties does he own? That have not been seized for one reason or another? His hotels are goners probably for not paying bills.

Then he'll be treated like anyone else who doesn't pay court ordered fines. The Marshalls will be called and his assets seized. All the gold leaf he's so fond of has to be worth something

10,000 a day ends up to 3.6 million per year. I wonder if he would just pay the fines indefinitely
That will help offset the taxes he evaded.

It appears that Mr. Donald Trump will have to hold a rally or two in order to get his loyal supporters to pony up his court costs.

And speaking of rallies, has he paid what he's been billed by cities and municipalities for the costs incurred by them in providing services for his past rallies?

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

Which properties does he own? That have not been seized for one reason or another? His hotels are goners probably for not paying bills.
Good point. None of his properties would ever have been in his own, personal name anyway.

CNN —

Same old. The law vs Donald J. Trump

How Russian Money Helped Save Trump's Business - Foreign ...​

https://foreignpolicy.com › 2018/12/21 › how-russian-mo...

Dec 21, 2018 — “The primary thing I did with Russia, I bought a house in Palm Beach at abankruptcy,” Trump said. “I bought it for about $40 million. I sold it ...

Does Donald Trump Need a Bailout? - The New York Times​

https://www.nytimes.com › trump-tax-returns-russia

Sep 28, 2020 — Well before 2016, Trump had experienced the beneficence of Russian oligarchs. In 2004, he paid $41.35 million for a home in Florida, then tried ...

How much money does The Trump Organization owe Russia ...​

https://thehill.com › pundits-blog › presidential-campaign

Oct 21, 2016 — The New York Times has reported that American companies owned by Trump have at least $650 million in debt and the Bank of China is among the

Does TRump actually have $10,000 a day in his possession?

Trump still lies day in and day out. If he had 30,000 lies while in office he must surely have 20,000
more ...... meanwhile

Former President Donald Trump filed to appeal the civil contempt finding and the associated $10,000 daily fine against him in New York State Court.

The filing was telegraphed Wednesday by his attorney, Alina Habba.

A New York judge held former president Donald Trump in contempt on Monday over his lack of response to a subpoena from the state's attorney general, and ordered him to pay $10,000-a-day in fines until he complies.

Attorney General Letitia James sought the contempt order earlier this month, saying Trump was not following a previous order to turn over documents in a civil investigation. The AG's office has said there is "significant" evidence the Trump Organization misstated asset values for years.

James' 26-page contempt motion alleged that Trump did not comply with a court-ordered March 31 deadline to turn over documents, instead submitting objections to the various requests and saying he would not turn over any materials.

James released the following statement Wednesday in response to Trump’s appeal, saying: “The judge’s order was clear: Donald J. Trump is in contempt of court and must pay $10,000 a day until he complies with our subpoenas. We’ve seen this playbook before, and it has never stopped our investigation of Mr. Trump and his organization. This time is no different.”

Trump has been fighting the attorney general's subpoena, and his company, the Trump Organization, has repeatedly said it was complying with various orders to turn over materials.

Back
Top Bottom