• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump floats "path to citizenship" for H-1B visa holders

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This kind of thing is why I didn't vote for Trump. He can be counted on to turn flaky. I'm still thankful that Democrats decided to go into "full resistance" mode. I was once concerned that the Democrats were smart enough to massage Trump's ego and get some of their policies enacted. Apparently I overestimated the Democrats. ... and the race to the bottom continues.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-floats-path-to-citizenship-for-h-1b-visa-holders/

Flip and flop

During the campaign, Mr. Trump proposed increasing the prevailing wage paid to H-1B visa holders in an effort to force companies to give entry-level jobs to an existing pool of unemployed workers in the U.S., instead of bringing in cheaper workers from overseas.

"This will improve the number of black, Hispanic and female workers in Silicon Valley who have been passed over in favor of the H-1B program," the Trump campaign wrote in an August 2015 immigration platform.

This kind of thing is why I didn't vote for Trump. He can be counted on to turn flaky. I'm still thankful that Democrats decided to go into "full resistance" mode. I was once concerned that the Democrats were smart enough to massage Trump's ego and get some of their policies enacted. Apparently I overestimated the Democrats. ... and the race to the bottom continues.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-floats-path-to-citizenship-for-h-1b-visa-holders/

Flip and flop

I think that is a great idea. H1-B visas are awarded to immigrants with marketable skills, more the better if we give them incentive to stay and contribute to American society.

Flip and flop

Why do you consider this a flip flop?

Flip and flop

As if Hilary Clinton wasn't flaky?

The reason the President can't get hardly anything done and why the country perpetually goes further left is because leftwingers stick together like glue and the Republican Party has a lot of people who won't if everything isn't 100% the way they want it then abandon ship or go vote Democrat. Leftwingers are collectively results oriented and too many Republicans are personal ego oriented.

If I were to reform the H1-B program at all it would be to stipulate that any H1-B applicant would have to be hired at a salary at least commiserate with the bottom 20% of US citizens doing the same job for the employer for whom the H1-B applicant would be working.

I'm sure there are a boatload of loopholes in that policy that I haven't considered yet, but you get the idea. We need H1-B when we need H1-B, but we don't need H1-B when the only purpose is to hire people for a fraction of the going rate.

Flip and flop

This is not a flip flop... what we are seeing is a mix of ideas some of which will upset conservatives but end up being big business beneficial.

Forcing H-1B labor costs up (via the cost of the visa) was something big business did not like, but a potential "compromise" is having those increased costs result in ideally permanency behind the labor resource brought into the nation.

The result though is a system that favors business over domestic labor. Even forcing H-1B costs up was not near enough to all of a sudden see companies stop wanting to use the system, degree perhaps but we still see plenty of advocacy for the idea.

Trump did what most Republicans do, listen to big business wants. A complete reform was never in the cards, despite the hype.

I think that is a great idea. H1-B visas are awarded to immigrants with marketable skills, more the better if we give them incentive to stay and contribute to American society.

I'd be careful on that one. Their are some real rackets with these & similar visas such as the ones Khizr Khan of a gold star family
made a good living on. The EB-5 program lets wealthy applicants, and their families, skip the line for a green card if they invest
$500,000 in a viable, jobs-generating business for two years. These programs may be under the H1-B umbrella.

These brokers— almost always immigration attorneys—take fat fees of up to $60,000 from each foreign green card-hopeful.
Point-blank truth, Khan was Cleverly sneaking Muslims into the United States.

Captain Khan was a Patriot who served our America. His service was a gift; his death was a tragedy. down here, Poppa Khan,
who came to our nation to get his, apparently was cashing in on his dead son's duty-body-country and buying a ticket
to ride on the talk-show circuit for a while. Let me guess ... a book deal in the works? I don't appreciate opportunists who exploit US Soldiers.
I bet there are others like this guy doing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom