• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Falsely Claims That He Predicted Bin Laden Threat Before 9/11

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.motherjones.com/politic...at-he-predicted-bin-laden-threat-before-9-11/

Fresh off his remarks deriding the former Navy SEAL who oversaw the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, President Donald Trump on Monday claimed that he had predicted the national security threat posed by the Al Qaeda leader in a book published one year before the 9/11 attacks.

This isn’t the first time Trump has falsely claimed to have foreseen Bin Laden’s rise. As Mother Jones explained back when he first made the assertion on the campaign trail, Trump’s 2000 book, The America We Deserve, did not include such astute observations. Bin Laden is mentioned once in passing in the book, and the brief paragraph merely references the fact that Bin Laden had already been labeled “public enemy number one.”
=======================================
This guy wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in his a**.

Trump is so FOS!!!

From "Trump Says He Predicted Osama Bin Laden. He Didn’t.":
Trump:
I said in The America We Deserve that we better be careful with this guy named Osama bin Laden. I mean I really study this stuff. I really find it very interesting, even though I am a businessman…I said we better be careful with Osama bin Laden. There’s a guy named Osama bin Laden. Nobody really knew who he was. But he was nasty. He was saying really nasty things about our country and what he wants to do to it. And I wrote in the book [in] 2000—two [sic] years before the World Trade Center came down—I talked to you about Osama bin Laden, you better take him out. I said he’s going to crawl under a rock. You better take him out. And now people are seeing that, they’re saying, “You know, Trump predicted Osama bin Laden. Which actually is true.​

• [*=1]Aside: Whoever be, if there even be any, the people who said, "You know, Trump predicted Osama bin Laden," are either incredibly ignorant or incredibly stupid or both. I have no idea of which because, in typical Trump fashion, he only references unnamed and uncategorized sources.

Analysis of Trump's remarks:
Nothing that was not known publicly at the time. Nothing about putting bin Laden on the top of the national security to-do list. In the book’s opening chapter, Trump did note, “I really am convinced we’re in danger of the sort of terrorist attacks that will make the [1993] bombing of the Trade Center look like kids playing with firecrackers.” But he did not connect this to bin Laden. And in the book’s short chapter on terrorism, Trump had no mention of bin Laden or Al Qaeda. He focused instead on the terrorist threat—such as a “bio bomb”—posed by the governments of Iran, Iraq, Libya, and North Korea. And he proposed “The (Trump) National Security Lottery,” which “would sell tickets just like in a Powerball Lottery, but dedicate every cent to funding an anti-terrorism campaign.”​

Who knew bin Laden was a potential threat? Who, well before Trump's 2000 book who bin Laden was? The CIA and the US Department of Justice. To wit:

Prior to 9/11, the US used diplomatic pressure and the threat of UN sanctions to get Sudan to expel bin Laden in 1996. For several years, the CIA paid agents in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Uzbekistan to monitor bin Laden’s movements; after the 1998 bombing of two U.S. embassies in East Africa, the United States used cruise missiles to hit his Afghan bases. Also in 1998, a federal grand jury indicted bin Laden and twenty-one other Al Qaeda members for conspiring to kill Americans abroad; four men were convicted in May of 2001. (Source)​

I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound like "nobody" knowing who bin Laden was.

Covering Trump's obvious bull**** and nonsense is pointless.

Honestly, I think a more fitting rebuttal from McRaven and anyone else out there, would be..

*Admiral McRaven released this statement in response*

Who pays attention to what this guy says anymore?

Trump never misses an opportunity to wax his own hood. Even if it is 100% lie.

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...at-he-predicted-bin-laden-threat-before-9-11/

Fresh off his remarks deriding the former Navy SEAL who oversaw the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, President Donald Trump on Monday claimed that he had predicted the national security threat posed by the Al Qaeda leader in a book published one year before the 9/11 attacks.

This isn’t the first time Trump has falsely claimed to have foreseen Bin Laden’s rise. As Mother Jones explained back when he first made the assertion on the campaign trail, Trump’s 2000 book, The America We Deserve, did not include such astute observations. Bin Laden is mentioned once in passing in the book, and the brief paragraph merely references the fact that Bin Laden had already been labeled “public enemy number one.”
Bin Laden was widely considered to be a threat going back into the Clinton administration. Did MoJo research that far back?

Non compos mentis

Trump never misses an opportunity to wax his own hood. Even if it is 100% lie.

Hood or Wood? We are watching a blatant daylight robbery.............smash & grab. Don’t leave a stick of silverware.......yee ha!

Back
Top Bottom