• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Falsely Accuses the New Times of Making Up a Source

JMR

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...cf33c21da8d_story.html?utm_term=.c81a9fddabd6

President Trump on Saturday falsely accused the New York Times of using an unnamed source “who doesn’t exist” in a story on negotiations between the United States and North Korea, but the official cited spoke to reporters Thursday in a briefing arranged by the White House.

“The Failing @nytimes quotes ‘a senior White House official,’ who doesn’t exist, as saying ‘even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed,’” Trump tweeted Saturday morning. “WRONG AGAIN! Use real people, not phony sources.”

The senior White House official cited by the Times spoke to dozens of reporters Thursday at the White House and on a conference call to brief them on Trump’s decision earlier that day to cancel his June 12 summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The lying is so blatant it is inexcusable. Is Trump unaware of White House briefings of the press, or he just tweets whatever pops in his head?

Well considering that the NYT has had record subscribers and is doing just fine. I think that tells you all you need to know. :mrgreen:

I have no doubt the NYT will prevail. It is just sad to think how much energy must be devoted to Lies of the President.

All snark aside, I wish science and medicine could study the president's lying. Does he believe himself or is it all an act? I've known some prolific liars, but I have never known anyone who had less control of the truth than he has.

I've come to believe that he just does not hold himself to the standard of telling the truth, or even trying to.

Yep, you heard it from the horse's mouth, folks.

The White House's press briefings are fake news.

Although, to be fair, I think we all knew that already.

I've come to believe that he just does not hold himself to the standard of telling the truth, or even trying to.
Nor do his supporters hold him to any standard.

Brag about grabbing women by the vagina? Excused.
Insult US POW's? Excused.
Defend racist rallies? Excused.
Tell obvious lies on pretty much a daily basis? Excused.
Subvert his own initiative to drain the swamp? Excused
Continue to lie about cheating on his wife? Excused. ( many Trump supporters here seem thoroughly convinced that he's lying to them, but don't care)
Shoot someone on fifth avenue?...

Yep, you heard it from the horse's mouth, folks.

The White House's press briefings are fake news.

Although, to be fair, I think we all knew that already.

And the White House requests that the source be called a "Senior White House Official" and NOT NAMED. We can go almost complete circle here with the obfuscation and blatant lying.

To be fair.. there are so few White House briefings these days that he could have thought they were cancelled.

True, he might think the only briefings going on are his nighty night chats with Hannity.

And the White House requests that the source be called a "Senior White House Official" and NOT NAMED. We can go almost complete circle here with the obfuscation and blatant lying.

Decades of life in the tabloid circuit has granted him an uncanny instinct for hacking the public's minds. He knows that all he has to do create the hype and it will take hold. He works on a dishonest but effective strategy: it wouldn't be in the news if it weren't at least partly true.

Using this logic, we are all complicit in this. Every time we debunk a conspiracy theory, we are by reason confirming its veracity. After all, if it weren't true, we wouldn't be talking about it.

This tactic can be thought of as malware. It's brutally effective, we have no defenses against it and an anti-malware update has yet to be created. Ignoring it the only effective strategy, but internal logic and emotion insist that ignoring it is the worst possible response.

Last edited:
Decades of life in the tabloid circuit has granted him an uncanny instinct for hacking the public's minds. He knows that all he has to do create the hype and it will take hold. He works on a dishonest but effective strategy: it wouldn't be in the news if it weren't at least partly true.

Using this logic, we are all complicit in this. Every time we debunk a conspiracy theory, we are by reason confirming its veracity. After all, if it weren't true, we wouldn't be talking about it.

This tactic can be thought of as malware. It's brutally effective, we have no defenses against it and an anti-malware update has yet to be created. Ignoring it the only effective strategy, but internal logic and emotion insist that ignoring it is the worst possible response.

alberteinstein1-2x.jpg

Actually, it's all on video. Trump should not be tweeting without adult supervision. LOL.

Trump is calling his own press conferences fake news now. Hehe.

:lamo

I wonder what lame diversions and deflections Trump supporters will use to excuse this.

No doubt, a heavy majority will believe Trump over the WaPo & the WH Communications team.

Even if the WH communications team, surrogates of Trump himself, contradict Trump, Trump will be believed. We're through the looking glass on their ability to apply basic critical thinking. Trump is right, always, because there's a war to be won.

But the content of the OP makes Trump's ignorance astounding. How does the President not know what his communications team is doing? Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trump lies about everything. he is a negative indicator for the truth.

:lamo

I wonder what lame diversions and deflections Trump supporters will use to excuse this.

No doubt, a heavy majority will believe Trump over the WaPo & the WH Communications team.

Even if the WH communications team, surrogates of Trump himself, contradict Trump, Trump will be believed. We're through the looking glass on their ability to apply basic critical thinking. Trump is right, always, because there's a war to be won.

But the content of the OP makes Trump's ignorance astounding. How does the President not know what his communications team is doing? Lmao.

The NYT misquoted--lied?--about what Matthew Pottinger said.

Pottinger: "The ball is in North Korea's court right now. There's really not a lot of time. We've lost quite a bit of time that we would need,"

NYT: "even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed".

Even if the "Senior White House official" exists, the NYT misquoted the **** out him. The NYT isn't magically off the hook.

Trump lies about everything. he is a negative indicator for the truth.

The NYT lied about what was said at the press conference.

Pottinger: "The ball is in North Korea's court right now. There's really not a lot of time. We've lost quite a bit of time that we would need,"

NYT: "even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed".

Even if the "Senior White House official" exists, the NYT misquoted the **** out him. The NYT isn't magically off the hook.

You're saying the NYT exaggerated the quote?

Could be and that would be unprofessional.. However, that's not what Trump said. Trump said the NYT made up a phony source, when they didn't. Trump's wild, unsubstantiated claim has been debunked.... again.. So, are you going to admit that Trump was more wrong here than anyone else in the picture? Once you get past that admission we can begin to examine why Trump may want to make wild, unsubstantiated claims about the press too, if you care to go down that well beaten path?

You're saying the NYT exaggerated the quote?

Could be and that would be unprofessional.. However, that's not what Trump said. Trump said the NYT made up a phony source, when they didn't. Trump's wild, unsubstantiated claim has been debunked.... again.. So, are you going to admit that Trump was more wrong here than anyone else in the picture? Once you get past that admission we can begin to examine why Trump may want to make wild, unsubstantiated claims about the press too, if you care to go down that well beaten path?

No, I'm saying--proved--that NYT flat out lied about what Pottinger said.

No, I'm saying--proved--that NYT flat out lied about what Pottinger said.

Trump made a false statement about the NYT. Are you ready to admit that?

Trump made a false statement about the NYT. Are you ready to admit that?

Actually, he didn't, because the "senior White House official" that the NYT claims to have said, "even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed", doesn't, in fact, exist.

Actually, he didn't, because the "senior White House official" that the NYT claims to have said, "even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed", doesn't, in fact, exist.

You're not ready to admit that Trump lied and that his claims have been debunked over and over again?

The NYT did not quote the now named source. They reported the information given at the briefing, which included discussion of how much preparation was needed and how much time was lost, and a statement that it would be highly unlikely for the meeting to happen. Trying to use the possible misstatement of impossible vs. highly unlikely as a reason to excuse Trumps BLATANT lie that the source did not exist, and that the NYT's made this up is ridiculous, but expected ....after all it IS the ONLY pathetic answer a Trump supporter could have.

You're not ready to admit that Trump lied and that his claims have been debunked over and over again?

Name the "senior White House official" that said, "even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed".

We'll wait.

The New York Times did not use that text as a quote. It's not a misquote. Are you intentionally lying about the NYT, or do you really not understand what a quote is?

Even if the White House official exists?! How can you - one the one hand - claim that the NYT misquoted him, and on the other deny his very existence?!

They didn't lie. What is your interpretation of the quote? That they DO have the time that they need to hold it on the 12th?

Back
Top Bottom