• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Faces Blowback for Outing the Alleged Whistle-Blower

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Two laws may have been violated by a retweet, attorney says.

360x-1.jpg

Chronic US scofflaw.

12/29/19
President Donald Trump faces criticism from political opponents -- and queasiness even among some supporters -- for naming the alleged whistle-blower whose complaint triggered the congressional inquiry that resulted in his impeachment. A retweet late Friday to Trump’s 68 million Twitter followers identified a person it says is the whistle-blower. That could run afoul of two laws, said David Colapinto, a lawyer who represents whistle-blowers at law firm Kohn, Kohn & Colapinto LLP in Washington. “The president has a responsibility under the whistle-blower statute to ensure protection of the intelligence community” officials who report alleged wrongdoing, Colapinto said Sunday. Trump’s act was “willful violation of the law.” Colapinto’s colleague, attorney Stephen Kohn, wrote in the National Law Review on Friday that when Trump “signed onto the job of president, protecting intelligence community whistle-blowers became one of his few mandatory job duties.” Senator John Kennedy, a Louisiana Republican and backer of Trump, said when asked in a CNN interview if he thinks it’s appropriate for the president to publicly identify the alleged whistle-blower, “I think we ought to follow the law.”

“No responsible government official or lawyer in the U.S. could credibly argue that someone who brings a complaint to the inspector general is not protected by the statute,” Colapinto said. That protection includes remaining anonymous, as well as being shielded from retaliation, he said. Trump has been edging toward identifying the whistle-blower. He’s previously questioned the person’s legitimacy and legal standing, called on media organizations to publish the person’s name -- as some conservative outlets have -- and even demanded to meet the whistle-blower himself. His late-Friday tweet was regarded as a provocation even by some officials within the White House, and appeared intended to create a public furor. “This person appears to have followed the whistleblower protection laws and ought to be heard out and protected,” Grassley said in the Oct. 1 statement. “We should always work to respect whistleblowers’ requests for confidentiality.” But the lack of a direct response to Trump’s most recent tweet has drawn criticism from Bakaj, one lawyers working for the whistle-blower. “I have worked with Senator Grassley’s staff in the past on whistle-blower matters -- an issue he has championed for decades. To say that his silence now is deafening is an understatement,” he said in a Saturday tweet. “This is a defining moment where legacies will either be solidified or destroyed.”

Trump is openly violating a law specifically enacted by Congress to protect government whistle-blowers. The silence of Republicans in Congress regarding this outright lawlessness is shameful.

How incomprehensibly far the former "law and order" GOP has fallen.

Related: Why Trump Vilifies Whistle-blowers and Reveres War Criminals

360x-1.jpg

Chronic US scofflaw.

Trump is openly violating a law specifically enacted by Congress to protect government whistle-blowers. The silence of Republicans in Congress regarding this outright lawlessness is shameful.

I'm ashamed at what the Republican Party has become as they support the wannabe mobster. What a disgusting piece of **** that man is.

I'm ashamed at what the Republican Party has become as they support the wannabe mobster. What a disgusting piece of **** that man is.

Trump views encounters with the law as nothing more than an occupational hazard, so this doesn't surprise me in the least. Just one more thing the corrupt bastard has no respect for-apart from his grotesque sense of self-importance.

360x-1.jpg

Chronic US scofflaw.

Bloomberg dog whistles. Precious......

Are you happy that what passes for your 'president' is a persistent crook?

I'm happy the President has outed so many piles of crap in the US and elsewhere as a result of his laser focus on doing what is right for the United States.

360x-1.jpg

Chronic US scofflaw.

From the same article

The tweet -- from @Surfermom77 or “Sophia,”who describes herself as living in California and a “100% Trump supporter” -- names someone who’s allegedly the person who alerted the intelligence community’s Inspector General to the president’s conduct in his July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

So Trump re-tweeted this individuals claim? Funny how you never mentioned this part. But leave it to the Liberal minds to twist a story to make it something it never was so the rest of the Liberal minds can explode with a continuing string of never ending fake allegations and claims.

From the same article

So Trump re-tweeted this individuals claim? Funny how you never mentioned this part. But leave it to the Liberal minds to twist a story to make it something it never was so the rest of the Liberal minds can explode.

That's stupid partisan "get the libs" horse****.

I'm happy the President has outed so many piles of crap in the US and elsewhere as a result of his laser focus on doing what is right for the United States.

cheer4.jpg

No where in the law is anonymity guaranteed.

Are you happy that what passes for your 'president' is a persistent crook?

I'm pretty sure if it's something that upsets the "left", they don't give a damned what he is doing.

Those are random words. That's your defense?

Where have you been for the past 3 years? That's one of their major tactics. Next to lying and conspiracy theories.

360x-1.jpg

Chronic US scofflaw.

He should be facing charges.

From the same article
So Trump re-tweeted this individuals claim? Funny how you never mentioned this part. But leave it to the Liberal minds to twist a story to make it something it never was so the rest of the Liberal minds can explode with a continuing string of never ending fake allegations and claims.

Nothing is exploding, however some Hated Liberals do lament that you will happily destroy American democracy if it would give you an excuse to tell yourself you "owned the libturds".

Separately, watching Stupid Watergate II unfold gives a sad to people with at least half a neuron. Sort of like...

Where have you been for the past 3 years? That's one of their major tactics. Next to lying and conspiracy theories.

It's still morning. I thought random word generation defense didn't start until afternoon. They are hard workers.

It's still morning. I thought random word generation defense didn't start until afternoon. They are hard workers.

Well they are certainly Hive-Mind. Not sure if that translates into "hard workers", as deflections seem rather easily generated.

Hahaha! Like dropping hundreds of farmers in the shyte, forcing an increase in farm bankruptcies of 24% in a single year? I wonder how they feel about Trump doing the 'right' thing. "Laser focus"; yes, on nothing but himself, as his theft from a children's cancer charity and getting caught, proved. Your 'president' is a crook who cares about as much about America as my cat does about astro-physics.

Trump views encounters with the law as nothing more than an occupational hazard, so this doesn't surprise me in the least. Just one more thing the corrupt bastard has no respect for-apart from his grotesque sense of self-importance.

Exactly, courts, lawsuits, criminal indictments are all just considered into the cost of doing business.

And considering he never pays his bills he doesn't find it all that costly...

Exactly, courts, lawsuits, criminal indictments are all just considered into the cost of doing business.

And considering he never pays his bills he doesn't find it all that costly...

Karma will turn up and bite him in his festering arse one day.

Bloomberg dog whistles. Precious......

Ignorant stoner responses, not so much...

Don't get me wrong, I love intelligent stoner responses, yours however have never achieved that level...

He should be facing charges.

Yes, he should. He's counting on the Nixon memo against charging a president, his control of the Justice Department, and Republicans defending his crimes to let him be above the law.

That's up to the American people and a few key officials, and so far, the accountability has been very limited. George W. Bush and Cheney and others have never been accountable.

I used to believe in karma, however in my old age I have watched many, many much better people than me die or worse.

And I have watched many,many far worse people than them be handed everything...

Back
Top Bottom