• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump Eyes Meeting With Putin in US Before November Election

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Whoever is just fine with this, would like a President Putin in the United States or a Trump/Putin ticket. Doesn't matter if that can't take place, the Trump Party republicans have no trouble bending the rules and the constitution when it suits their needs.

Some of the president's advisers have argued against a summit with Putin before the election, according to the people familiar with the discussions. The aides are concerned that a summit with Putin would embolden the Russian leader at a time when Moscow is provoking the U.S., including interfering in the 2020 election and possibly offering money to militants in Afghanistan in exchange for killing American troops.

There are also concerns among administration officials that a summit could hurt the president politically because it would revive attacks from his opponents that he's too cozy with Russia, the people familiar with the discussions said. From their perspective, these people said, any potential upside of Trump striking an arms control deal is outweighed by the downside at a time when he's already trailing in the polls.

Trump has held a handful of in-person meetings with Putin since taking office, including a 2018 summit in Helsinki, Finland, that was widely seen as disastrous for the president. Trump excluded his top aides from the meeting and said afterward that he believed Putin over U.S. intelligence officials on whether Russia interfered in the 2016 election.

He's also spoken frequently with Putin on the phone since taking office, most recently on July 23.

Russia was expelled from the G8 in 2014 after annexing the Crimea region in Ukraine. Other members include Germany, France, Britain, Italy, Japan, and Canada.

If Trump and Putin meet one on one, a looming question is whether Trump will bring up reports that Russia has offered incentive payments to the Taliban to target American troops in Afghanistan. Trump has called the reports a hoax and downplayed the strength of the intelligence. But during an interview in Prague this week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he raised the issue with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

Trump eyes Putin meeting before November election, say four people familiar with discussions

Last edited:
Whoever is just fine with this, would like a President Putin in the United States or a Trump/Putin ticket. Doesn't matter if that can't take place, the Trump Party republicans have no trouble bending the rules and the constitution when it suits their needs.

Trump eyes Putin meeting before November election, say four people familiar with discussions

My guess Trump is trying to get a better read on what it would take to get Russia to put some space between itself and China. The less we have to invest pushing back on Russia, the more we can prepare for a difficult future with China.

World affairs are a president’s job.

"You've got to help me Vlad, you've got to help me. I'm going to lose this thing, you've got to help me. Can't you have your computer people break into Sleepy Joe's computers and plant something. What? I don't know. something about his kid? You've got to help me, you've got to help me."

My guess Trump is trying to get a better read on what it would take to get Russia to put some space between itself and China. The less we have to invest pushing back on Russia, the more we can prepare for a difficult future with China.

World affairs are a president’s job.

Ah yes.

The “Trump is playing 4D chess” Trumpist.

giphy.gif

"Oh, and Vlad, can I still build that hotel in Moscow?"

China actually believes most of America’s population is as juvenile and frivolous as you guys portray it to be.

I'm not surprised Trump wants to meet with Vladdie. He needs instruction and advice on what to do to retain power. Maybe even set up an escape route.

Back
Top Bottom