• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump expected to offer deal for ending the shutdown, Democrats expected to reject it

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-shutdown-democrats-prepare-reject-it-n960591

"It is unlikely that any one of these provisions alone would pass the House, and taken together, they are a non-starter," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement.

President Donald Trump is expected to publicly outline a new deal at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday that would trade three years of protections for so-called Dreamers in exchange for $5.7 billion to build a wall along the southern border.

Democrats, meanwhile, are preparing to reject his offer.
===================================
Now Trump can blame the Dems for his shutdown.

CNN was running a banner saying Pelosi called the deal a "non-starter" even before Trump made his proposal.

Frankly, Trump came off his with list a whole lot. Dropped two of the 4 pillars from June and added in 75 new immigration judges. Democrats, however, will reject it because the "wall" is still in there.

Trump - "We'll give you 90% of what you want in exchange for 20% of what we want"
Pelosi - "It's all my way or no deal"

Meanwhile, the immigrants are backing up at the border and the federal employees are still hanging out at home. Way to go Nancy!

First, can Donald Duck ever get anywhere on time. Probably does not help that he moves like a turtle on a sheet of molasses.
Second, can he ever get to a point. Does he always have to run down every single talking point AGAIN before he gets on with it.

So on to the specifics:
- $800M in humanitarian aid at the border
- $805M drug detection at POE's
- 2,000 new border agents (by the way, border agents are leaving CBP faster than we can hire them NOW)
- 75 new Immigration judges
- New system to allow minors to apply for asylum in their home countries (can't wait to see this one since we have been closing off that capability for everybody from Cent. Amer)
- $5.7B for physical barrier, steel barriers/230 more miles (how much more after that DonDon) This is one of the big problems of not going through an Appropriations process!
- Three years of legislative relief for DACA recipients (temporary relief from Trump's own changes)
- Three year TPS extension (temporary relief from Trump's own changes)

I don't know if I would go for this if there was nothing on the other end of the deal for DonDon.

DOA!

Reopen government and then we can talk.

This will not put the ball back into the dems court because there is NOTHING here that has not been discussed in their negotiations. None of this belongs as a negotiation between Hill Leaders and the WH. It belongs in an Appropriations process and an actual Bill on the Hill.

Another BS announcement from the WH just as his message to the Nation from the Oval was a BS PR ploy. His act is getting so old and his riffs are so old that nobody even compelled him to mention the damage being done by the shutdown to workers and the country in general. Another stellar job by the most hamstrung by their own ineptitude President and WH in history.

Last edited:
Trump has been the reasonable rational one here....which shocks me not at all.

First, can Donald Duck ever get anywhere on time. Probably does not help that he moves like a turtle on a sheet of molasses.
Second, can he ever get to a point. Does he always have to run down every single talking point AGAIN before he gets on with it.

So on to the specifics:
- $800M in humanitarian aid at the border
- $805M drug detection at POE's
- 2,000 new border agents (by the way, border agents are leaving CBP faster than we can hire them NOW)
- 75 new Immigration judges
- New system to allow minors to apply for asylum in their home countries (can't wait to see this one since we have been closing off that capability for everybody from Cent. Amer)
- $5.7B for physical barrier, steel barriers/230 more miles (how much more after that DonDon) This is one of the big problems of not going through an Appropriations process!
- Three years of legislative relief for DACA recipients (temporary relief)
- Three year TPS extension (temporary relief)

I don't know if I would go for this if there was nothing on the other end of the deal for DonDon.

DOA!

Reopen government and then we can talk.

This will not put the ball back into the dems court because there is NOTHING here that has not been discussed in their negotiations. None of this belongs as a negotiation between Hill Leaders and the WH. It belongs in an Appropriations process and an actual Bill on the Hill.

Another BS announcement from the WH just as his message to the Nation from the Oval was a BS PR ploy. His act is getting so old and his riffs are so old that nobody even compelled him to mention the damage being done by the shutdown to workers and the country in general. Another stellar job by the most hamstrung by their own ineptitude President and WH in history.

Can we talk about the president without insulting him? Donald Duck? Moves like a turtle. What are we, in grade school????

CNN was running a banner saying Pelosi called the deal a "non-starter" even before Trump made his proposal.

Frankly, Trump came off his with list a whole lot. Dropped two of the 4 pillars from June and added in 75 new immigration judges. Democrats, however, will reject it because the "wall" is still in there.

Trump - "We'll give you 90% of what you want in exchange for 20% of what we want"
Pelosi - "It's all my way or no deal"

Meanwhile, the immigrants are backing up at the border and the federal employees are still hanging out at home. Way to go Nancy!

Once Pelosi pronounced that a physical barrier on the border was now "immoral" it became the demorat shutdown.

Can we talk about the president without insulting him? Donald Duck? Moves like a turtle. What are we, in grade school????

Donald speaks at a grade school level every day. When he changes his petty, childish rattle throwing behavior I will credit him with some respect. Until then, he is Donald Duck, with my apologies to a great cartoon character.

Numerous polls clearly show that the majority of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown.

A few delusional posts on the Internet claiming that Democrats now own the shutdown is not going to change reality.

Once Pelosi pronounced that a physical barrier on the border was now "immoral" it became the demorat shutdown.

A fence will not work because it will not stop the migrants from entering the country. Do you want Trump to throw away $5.?B? How about using that money to fix some aging bridges on our interstate highways? IOW, something positive & constructive.

Trump has been the reasonable rational one here....which shocks me not at all.

Yes. In the lefts orgy of hatred and obstruction, they have managed to make Trump look like the reasonable actor in all of this. An unwillingness to compromise is an unsustainable position. The rational democrats, the few that are left, will carve out a compromise and do an end around on the moronic Resistance.

Numerous polls clearly show that the majority of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown.

A few delusional posts on the Internet claiming that Democrats now own the shutdown is not going to change reality.

Trump is on videotape taking full responsibility for the shutdown.

Nancy Pelosi also said I reject facts.

No she did not which is why we say your comments are one of the most dishonest from posters. She said “I reject YOUR facts” in regards to Neilsons numbers. And she was correct because neilsons numbers weren’t credible. Learn to tell the truth DUDE instead of posting dishonest comments!

Yes. In the lefts orgy of hatred and obstruction, they have managed to make Trump look like the reasonable actor in all of this. An unwillingness to compromise is an unsustainable position. The rational democrats, the few that are left, will carve out a compromise and do an end around on the moronic Resistance.

The center of the D party long ago collapsed, and the party is getting more radical.

"orgy of hatred and obstruction"

Stop posting stupid hyperbole and garbage if you want anyone to take your posts seriously.

Just so you know, it is possible to 'blame him for the shutdown,' yet support what he is doing. The intransigent left will have to come to the table or they will get the blame for dragging this out.

"orgy of hatred and obstruction"

Stop posting stupid hyperbole and garbage if you want anyone to take your posts seriously.

I dont care if you take what I write seriously or not. You arent a serious poster so it doesnt matter what you think.

Nothing the Dems do make Donald look reasonable. Its all a matter of whether he can contain himself for 10 minutes in a row. If so "his supporters" claim him "reasonable". If not, they claim him "strong, a fighter". Give me a break. That might fly in some Right wing silo someplace.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/685539207/poll-trump-approval-down-slips-with-base

Poll: Trump Approval Down, Slips With Base

A new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll finds Trump's approval rating down and his disapproval rating up from a month ago. He currently stands at 39 percent approve, 53 percent disapprove — a 7-point net change from December when his rating was 42 percent approve, 49 percent disapprove.
=======================================
Even his base is seeing through this nonsense.

Support for the wall remains low: Pew 40 percent, Quinnipiac 43 percent, CNN 39 percent, ABC/WaPost 42 percent.

Percent who want the government reopened with funding for border security but no wall: 61 percent.

Percent who disapprove of the way Trump is handling the shutdown: 61 percent.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politics/polling-roundup-shutdown/index.html

And from realclearpolitics, the trend is obvious:

poll.JPG

But a few people on an Internet forum say that it is the fault of the Democrats, because ego-protecting delusion will always be a powerful thing.

I dont care if you take what I write seriously or not. You arent a serious poster so it doesnt matter what you think.

So original....:roll:

"don't" "aren't" "doesn't"

I fixed them for you .

The center of the D party long ago collapsed, and the party is getting more radical.

Oh please cons like yourself are the most radical out there, you hate America and want to destroy it from the inside.

Just so you know, it is possible to 'blame him for the shutdown,' yet support what he is doing. The intransigent left will have to come to the table or they will get the blame for dragging this out.

Reality does not bear out your assertion.

Does reality matter?

A fence will not work because it will not stop the migrants from entering the country. Do you want Trump to throw away $5.?B? How about using that money to fix some aging bridges on our interstate highways? IOW, something positive & constructive.

Nope. Trump wants (220 miles of?) his silly border monument in order to claim that he kept a main campaign promise but should press for mandatory E-Verify instead. The political reality is that no effective border security or interior immigration law enforcement efforts are going to be passed by congress. Congress critters enjoy a re-election rate of over 90% simply by keeping illegal immigration as "an issue".

Back
Top Bottom