• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Ended 2018 France Trip Having Art Loaded on Air Force One

Aside from fulfilling a daily Orange Man Bad quote I don’t see why this is an issue. Now if Trump were to pull a Clinton and tries to take the the property with him when he leaves office I could see why that would be an issue.

The point isn't it belongs to the united states it's that he took the stuff without asking like any decent person would do. You seem to not be able to help yourself, you defend him for everything.

I love how the goalposts move all around on this type of thread. The original point was that he was stealing them.

Who's he going to ask? The president? He likely did ask if they were US property (hence the comment that they would be displayed in the White House for 6 years then returned).

So again I ask you, does that make it right to take something out of the ambassador's residence without asking? Trump is lowlife and will always be lowlife. It's all about him. One day the right might wake up and realize this? Nah.

The "ambassador's residence" at an embassy is a diplomatic building where the ambassador and his staff live or work. The ambassador (if he/she lives there) would have a private apartment, but most of it is for embassy business and entertaining. It's the embassy equivalent of the white house or governor's mansion. Trump wasn't sneaking into the Ambassador's private living area.

i hope that he doesn't have the art gilded before it is returned.

i hope that he doesn't have the art gilded before it is returned.

The Franklin portrait was a copy, not sure about the statues but I am sure they will be returned in February 2021, by President Biden.

Remember when Obama tried to sneak pallets of cash into Iran, then flat out lied about it when he was caught?

Presidential looting?

After Donald Trump’s planned trip to a French cemetery for fallen Marines was canceled in November 2018, the U.S. leader had some extra time on his hands in a mansion filled with artwork. The next day, he went art shopping -- or the presidential equivalent.

Trump fancied several of the pieces in the U.S. ambassador’s historic residence in Paris, where he was staying, and on a whim had them removed and loaded onto Air Force One, according to people familiar with the matter. The works -- a portrait, a bust, and a set of silver figurines -- were brought back to the White House.

The decision to cancel Trump’s visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery outside Paris is under new scrutiny after the Atlantic magazine on Thursday published a bombshell report that Trump belittled the American servicemen buried there, part of a broader history of disparaging certain people who’ve served in the military. Trump has vehemently denied making the comments about “suckers” and “losers” in the armed forces.

Never previously reported is Trump’s spur-of-the-moment art caper before leaving the ambassador’s residence.

The incident was met with a mixture of amusement and astonishment at the time, but caused headaches for White House and State Department staffers, according to several people familiar with the episode who asked not to be identified due to its sensitivity.

Donald Trump, Air Force One and French Art Haul: Latest News on President - Bloomberg
He's a piece of ****.

Remember when Obama tried to sneak pallets of cash into Iran, then flat out lied about it when he was caught?

I dont remember that at all. Can you please back up your claim. Now Taylor, dont clutch your pearls and faint, this is a debate forum. You've posted some conservative fantasy to deflect from/justify/excuse yet another example of trump being trash.

Your go to defense is pretty lame - BUT MOM, HE DID SOMETHING TOO!!!!

Can't you change it up from time to time just to make things interesting?

The point isn't it belongs to the united states it's that he took the stuff without asking like any decent person would do. You seem to not be able to help yourself, you defend him for everything.

wanna bet it disappears from the White House in January?

So again I ask you, does that make it right to take something out of the ambassador's residence without asking? Trump is lowlife and will always be lowlife. It's all about him. One day the right might wake up and realize this? Nah.

he said no and failed to read that these items were taken out of the ambassador's residence.

so, according to you the president can help himself to the ambassador's personal possessions?

They weren't the ambassador's personal possessions.

Aside from fulfilling a daily Orange Man Bad quote I don’t see why this is an issue. Now if Trump were to pull a Clinton and tries to take the the property with him when he leaves office I could see why that would be an issue.

First of all, you know very well, they were BROKE, when they left office. And second of all, stealing all the W keys on keyboards, is not looting, it is a prank.

per who? Trump? lmao. Wanna bet those things disappear if he loses in November?

Read the story. Ambassadors don't personally decorate diplomatic buildings. I highly doubt Trump even set foot in the ambassador's living quarters.

As far as things disappearing - what basis do you have for that? We're not talking about the Clintons. The White House is a residence, office building, and museum. The artwork there is carefully curated.

First of all, you know very well, they were BROKE, when they left office. And second of all, stealing all the W keys on keyboards, is not looting, it is a prank.

He's talking about the $360K worth of stuff that the Clintons took with them, stating they were gifts to them personally. This included furniture, flatware, china, and some expensive gifts from Mark Rich's wife (whom Clinton pardoned). They ended up having to return or reimburse the government for most of what they took.

I don’t have a problem with the president moving art that was in a U.S. embassy to the White House. If he moved it to Trump Tower, that would be different.

He's talking about the $360K worth of stuff that the Clintons took with them, stating they were gifts to them personally. This included furniture, flatware, china, and some expensive gifts from Mark Rich's wife (whom Clinton pardoned). They ended up having to return or reimburse the government for most of what they took.

It was $28,000 worth of furniture.
The Clinton Furniture Flap - FactCheck.org

Back
Top Bottom