• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump doesn't actually want a wall

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ezra Klein explains it in a rather compelling analysis of Trump

Compelling? NO.
But if you're looking for confirmation bias posing as analysis I guess it's no worse than others.

OK, and that differs from those stating that they want to "abolish ICE" or that a (the current?) border wall is "immoral" how? Politicians say loads of stuff that is simply intended to get them attention and has absolutely no chance of ever becoming law.

Yeah ... and I don't actually want to win the lottery ... :lamo

Compelling? NO.
But if you're looking for confirmation bias posing as analysis I guess it's no worse than others.

No, all evidence clearly points to Trump not wanting a wall, but rather wanting the ratings from the fight for a wall. If he really did, he would have had no cameras yesterday and a closed door meeting to make an actual deal to get one.

There is no other rational conclusion based on available evidence, and it's got nothing to do with confirmation bias, no matter how much you wish it did.

He's always been quite good at suckering certain other people, and I see that hasn't changed.

No, all evidence clearly points to Trump not wanting a wall, but rather wanting the ratings from the fight for a wall. If he really did, he would have had no cameras yesterday and a closed door meeting to make an actual deal to get one.

There is no other rational conclusion based on available evidence, and it's got nothing to do with confirmation bias, no matter how much you wish it did.

He's always been quite good at suckering certain other people, and I see that hasn't changed.

Trump is from entertainment, like a circus clown, and knows a full house is the time to cast your IMAGERY. He projected being Presidentisl with the setting, tough with bombast and bullcrap, and power by dealing with opposition heads. Ratings from his show will demonstrate he was successful to his acolytes. He trolled the MSM like a master puppeteer. To those desiring debate and intellectual duelling, it is always, HeHeHe, from Trump????
/

He doesn’t want a wall? So what does he want? You know I want a high voltage fence and, let these people learn the hard way because I’m sorry but, can anyone explain to me why we had a fence?! Why did GEORGE W. BUSH put a fence? These guy is a racist Republican right?

He wants an actual wall as much as congress cares about illegal immigration.

Guess how much that is. Not how much they claim they claim to care, but how much they actually care (and I'm especially looking at the GOP)

White liberals, stop being outraged on behalf of minorities. It’s extremely condescending & insulting. I’m an adult capable of free thought I’ll decide when something offends me, now kindly go away

Yeah ... and I don't actually want to win the lottery ... :lamo

He did not include the wall in his budget request and got the full amount he asked for "border security". He now is threatening to shut down the Govt. because he suddenly wants $5 Billion more that he can't even get thru the House. It makes no sense.

When I reply to something it's, generally speaking, a rebuttal --the why is inherent in the comment.

If I can offer a better rebuttal than number five I would have but since I didn't think I could I'll just say go see number 5 for the best rebuttal.

In other words, to my ears and eyes, asking why sounds rather stupid in face of the obvious.

Last edited:
He did not include the wall in his budget request and got the full amount he asked for "border security". He now is threatening to shut down the Govt. because he suddenly wants $5 Billion more that he can't even get thru the House. It makes no sense.

Moreover they only spent 200 million of the three billion that's already been allocated so his request is just silly

He did complicate the Congressional Republicans life by showing that any shutdown is on them, rather than democrats.

White liberals, stop being outraged on behalf of minorities. It’s extremely condescending & insulting. I’m an adult capable of free thought I’ll decide when something offends me, now kindly go away

I'm Irish descent and once upon a time we were looked upon as the morons now look upon Mexicans.

So kindly STFU

OK, and that differs from those stating that they want to "abolish ICE" or that a (the current?) border wall is "immoral" how? Politicians say loads of stuff that is simply intended to get them attention and has absolutely no chance of ever becoming law.

I should think ian egregious waste of taxpayers money is less than moral.

To build a wall across the southern border would cost many Untold billions estimates are 25 billion and more maybe as much as 50 billion who knows thing is half the Visas overstays account for the illegals that number will go up so the cost-benefit just isn't there the better solution is high tech security which is a lot less expensive and just as effective

When I reply to something it's, generally speaking, a rebuttal --the why is inherent in the comment.

If I can offer a better rebuttal than number five I would have but since I didn't think I could I'll just say go see number 5 for the best rebuttal.

In other words, to my ears and eyes, asking why sounds rather stupid in face of the obvious.

But #5 didn't offer anything of substance. It merely repeated the original claim.

Im not interested in watching videos on another site. Klein can come here and post if he wants to. So, post in your own words. What did he say that was compelling to you? Why is it compelling?

But #5 didn't offer anything of substance. It merely repeated the original claim.

Then watch the video a few more times perhaps one day the analysis's conclusion will Dawn on you is true given who Trump is, i.e., a flim-flam man, a pitch man, a Carnival Barker, a hypster, etcetera etcetera.

Trump is like cotton candy; looks good from a distance but when you take a bite there's really nothing there

Why is this argument difficult to believe? The wall has been Trump’s unifying issue. Give him the wall and loses his issue, his rallying cry.

Then watch the video a few more times perhaps one day the analysis's conclusion will Dawn on you is true given who Trump is, i.e., a flim-flam man, a pitch man, a Carnival Barker, a hypster, etcetera etcetera.

Trump is like cotton candy; looks good from a distance but when you take a bite there's really nothing there

Once is plenty when you're waiting for something that supports his speculation and it never comes.
The only thing that occurred to me afterwards was that a viewer would have to have a certain mindset that made them predisposed to accept such a speculation as his and find it compelling.
So that's what I said.
So far, no one has offered anything that supports his speculation.
"Cuz I said so" isn't support.

Compelling? NO.

It clearly is analysis whether you agree with it or not. Klein makes a reasoned argument. “Confirmation bias” is dismissing it out of hand because the analysis is one you don’t like but are unable to refute.

Im not interested in watching videos on another site. Klein can come here and post if he wants to. So, post in your own words. What did he say that was compelling to you? Why is it compelling?

For lawd's sakes I never post a video more than a minute or two in length. This is really that big of a problem?

I think an accurate psychological profile eloquently explained is compelling.

It clearly is analysis whether you agree with it or not. Klein makes a reasoned argument. “Confirmation bias” is dismissing it out of hand because the analysis is one you don’t like but are unable to refute.

Can't refute speculation based on substance that wasn't offered. He said Trump doesn't really want The Wall. Why? Because he'd lose an issue? Is that it? That's like saying Obama didn't really want the ACA.

Back
Top Bottom