• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump denies knowing the man he appointed as the nation's top law enforcement official

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From CBS News

Trump denies knowing the man he appointed as the nation's top law enforcement official

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- During an impromptu press conference Friday before leaving for Paris, President Donald Trump put some distance between himself and Matt Whitaker, the newly appointed acting attorney general who now oversees special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into Russian election meddling and any ties to Trump associates.

Mr. Trump denied knowing Whitaker, the man he just appointed as the nation's top law enforcement official.

"Matt Whitaker worked for Jeff Sessions and he was always extremely highly thought of and he still is but I didn't know Matt Whitaker," Mr. Trump said.

But Whitaker has visited the Oval Office so many times, some of his Justice Department colleagues suspect him of being a White House spy.

COMMENT:-

If I take Mr. Trump at his word that he doesn't know Mr. Whitaker, then I am forced to the conclusion that Mr. Trump's selection process for members of the Executive Branch is either completely random or based solely on what someone tells him he should think.

Quite frankly I wouldn't be very comfortable with either of those options.

Fortunately, I don't have to actually believe Mr. Trump when he says something (mainly because I'll never have to wait too long before he says the exact opposite).

THAT option doesn't make me feel overly comfortable either, but Mr. Trump IS the AMERICAN President who was LEGALLY ELECTED, under AMERICAN laws, as outlined in the AMERICAN constitution, through the votes of the AMERICAN people in an AMERICAN election, conducted under the supervision of AMERICAN officials so that's all there is to know about it.

PS - Just because Mr. Whitaker "visited the Oval Office" that doesn't mean that Mr. Trump was there at the same time - right?

From CBS News

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- During an impromptu press conference Friday before leaving for Paris, President Donald Trump put some distance between himself and Matt Whitaker, the newly appointed acting attorney general who now oversees special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into Russian election meddling and any ties to Trump associates.

Mr. Trump denied knowing Whitaker, the man he just appointed as the nation's top law enforcement official.

"Matt Whitaker worked for Jeff Sessions and he was always extremely highly thought of and he still is but I didn't know Matt Whitaker," Mr. Trump said.

But Whitaker has visited the Oval Office so many times, some of his Justice Department colleagues suspect him of being a White House spy.

If I take Mr. Trump at his word that he doesn't know Mr. Whitaker, then I am forced to the conclusion that Mr. Trump's selection process for members of the Executive Branch is either completely random or based solely on what someone tells him he should think.

Fortunately, I don't have to actually believe Mr. Trump when he says something (mainly because I'll never have to wait too long before he says the exact opposite).

THAT option doesn't make me feel overly comfortable either, but Mr. Trump IS the AMERICAN President who was LEGALLY ELECTED, under AMERICAN laws, as outlined in the AMERICAN constitution, through the votes of the AMERICAN people in an AMERICAN election, conducted under the supervision of AMERICAN officials so that's all there is to know about it.

PS - Just because Mr. Whitaker "visited the Oval Office" that doesn't mean that Mr. Trump was there at the same time - right?

Not for nothing here, but maybe there could be some consistent criticism of Trump here. I mean, the appointment is either a problem because he pulled the name out of a hat, or its a problem because he wants a sycophant who will shut down Mueller.

Not for nothing here, but maybe there could be some consistent criticism of Trump here. I mean, the appointment is either a problem because he pulled the name out of a hat, or its a problem because he wants a sycophant who will shut down Mueller.

Or, to rephrase that, the problem is that he pulled the name out of a hat that contained the names of nothing but sycophants who will do whatever he tells them to do.

From CBS News

I would like some explanation beyond 'I don't know Matt Whitaker', given the situation. But that could mean a lot of things. He may very well mean that he's never had one-on-one meetings with him. Whitaker still could have been to the white house frequently to attended briefings, represent his boss in larger meetings, attended meetings with his boss, or met with White House staff members (which would fit his role as chief of staff).

Whitaker wasn't selected for a permanent role on the staff, but as an acting head of the department pending a permanent appointment. Trump will appoint someone to the role, and that person will be confirmed by the new Senate. Without a personal meeting, he could have appointed Whittaker based on looking at available senior staff in the department and a recommendation from Sessions. You know Trump didn't want to appoint Rosenstein, and the next position is vacant. Whittaker is Chief of staff -- it wasn't a random pick out of a hat.

From CBS News

I almost believe Trump on this, it's just possible that he forgot who Whitaker is since whenever he last encountered the ****er.

Or, to rephrase that, the problem is that he pulled the name out of a hat that contained the names of nothing but sycophants who will do whatever he tells them to do.
Sounds like a Eric Holder Obama relationship. Did you complain then too?

I have no trouble believing he would pick someone out a hat, or because someone mentioned the name and it sounded like someone who'd vote for him.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Back
Top Bottom