• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump demands 'down payment' on wall as shutdown impasse continues

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From France 24

U.S. senators made a new try at ending a partial month-long government shutdown through a temporary funding bill on Thursday, but President Donald Trump demanded a "down payment" for a border wall that Democrats reject.

After the Republican-led Senate failed to advance two measures to reopen shuttered agencies, Democratic and Republican lawmakers spoke on the Senate floor and urged quick passage of a three-week, stopgap funding bill to create time for talks on border security.

White House
spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said such a measure would only work "if there is a large down payment on the wall."

But a spokesman for Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said Senate Democrats had made clear to Republicans that "they will not support funding for the wall."

Trump
, who sparked the shutdown, now in its 34th day, with his demand for $5.7 billion in funding for the U.S.-Mexico border wall, told reporters after the votes in the Senate: “We have no choice but to have a wall or a barrier, and if we don’t have that, it’s just not going to work,” referring to border security.

COMMENT:-

It seems that the negotiations are running along the lines of:

Step 1 - "Give me $25,000,000,000+." - "No."
Step 2 - "Give me $15,000,000,000+." - "No."
Step 3 - "Give me $5,000,000,000+." - "No."
Step 4 - "Give me $2,500,000,000+." - "No."
Step 5 - "Give me a 'down payment'." - "No."
Step 6 - "Make a deposit." - "No."
Step 7 - "Put us a couple of bucks for 'earnest money'." - "No."
Step 8 - "I never promised to build a wall." - "No?"
Step 9 - "Wall? What wall?" - "That's what we said 'What wall?'."

or something like that.

From France 24

U.S. senators made a new try at ending a partial month-long government shutdown through a temporary funding bill on Thursday, but President Donald Trump demanded a "down payment" for a border wall that Democrats reject.

After the Republican-led Senate failed to advance two measures to reopen shuttered agencies, Democratic and Republican lawmakers spoke on the Senate floor and urged quick passage of a three-week, stopgap funding bill to create time for talks on border security.

White House
spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said such a measure would only work "if there is a large down payment on the wall."

But a spokesman for Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said Senate Democrats had made clear to Republicans that "they will not support funding for the wall."

Trump
, who sparked the shutdown, now in its 34th day, with his demand for $5.7 billion in funding for the U.S.-Mexico border wall, told reporters after the votes in the Senate: “We have no choice but to have a wall or a barrier, and if we don’t have that, it’s just not going to work,” referring to border security.

or something like that.

:lamo All that winning. I am in awe of the great negotiator. My 6 year old son does a better job trying to get an extra cookie.

:lamo All that winning. I am in awe of the great negotiator. My 6 year old son does a better job trying to get an extra cookie.

HAHA you beat me to it! I was just going to comment on all this winning.

From France 24

White House

Trump

or something like that.

Eventually...

"Forget it. You are wasting the country's time. I'll build it without you."

or something like that.
[/INDENT]
Sadly, it is nowhere near so rational or direct of a process. Different deals have been offered at different times, with Trump often acting inconsistently and unreliably. E.g. Trump might float an offer to protect the Dreamers in exchange for wall funding, then pull back because Anne Coulter flipped out on Twitter about "amnesty." Similarly, Trump has repeatedly walked back or denied his own statements all throughout the process.

Democrats have also changed offers over time, e.g. Schumer floated a $25 billion wall in exchange for permanent DACA protections in January 2018. Trump refused, which caused a shutdown; Democrats caved after 3 days.

Sadly, it is nowhere near so rational or direct of a process. Different deals have been offered at different times, with Trump often acting inconsistently and unreliably. E.g. Trump might float an offer to protect the Dreamers in exchange for wall funding, then pull back because Anne Coulter flipped out on Twitter about "amnesty." Similarly, Trump has repeatedly walked back or denied his own statements all throughout the process.

Democrats have also changed offers over time, e.g. Schumer floated a $25 billion wall in exchange for permanent DACA protections in January 2018. Trump refused, which caused a shutdown; Democrats caved after 3 days.

It's longer than three days this time, isn't it?

Of course, since the polling data gives a pretty clear indication that a majority of Americans are pinning the blame on Mr. Trump and/or the Republicans, there really isn't any reason to expect a speedy resolution (especially one in which Mr. Trump gets "The Wall") is there?

It's longer than three days this time, isn't it?

Of course, since the polling data gives a pretty clear indication that a majority of Americans are pinning the blame on Mr. Trump and/or the Republicans, there really isn't any reason to expect a speedy resolution (especially one in which Mr. Trump gets "The Wall") is there?
There are preliminary reports that Trump will sign a CR to reopen the government for 3 weeks, with no strings attached. Maybe Trump finally figured out that this is not going well for him.

Maybe.

Eventually...

Unfortunately for him he can’t. Yeah, Trump can pull money from elsewhere and use the Army Corps of Engineers to oversee the construction, but SCOTUS has already ruled that the President doesn’t have the authority to seize private property without Congressional legislation to support it...even during a National emergency to support a war effort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngstown_Sheet_&_Tube_Co._v._Sawyer

Last edited:

Yeah, once the temper tantrum strategy fails, poor Trump is at his wits end.

Eventually...

Perfect, he has spent his life bragging about the billions of dollars he has. If he considers this so important for his country, he can build the wall himself. I know I would do it for Canada.

Eventually...

:lamo What, out of his own money? :lamo

I love the smell of delusions in the morning...it smells like...a new president in 2020.

Pelosi's tough. She'll never compromise on her principles. Every American could die before she would oppose one drug lord's or one terrorist's right to kill Americans.

Pelosi's tough. She'll never compromise on her principles. Every American could die before she would oppose one drug lord's or one terrorist's right to kill Americans.

:lamo

I love the smell of delusions in the morning...it smells like...a new president in 2020.

It smells like....victory! At least in this thread, and ya gotta start somewhere.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for him he can’t. Yeah, Trump can pull money from elsewhere and use the Army Corps of Engineers to oversee the construction, but SCOTUS has already ruled that the President doesn’t have the authority to seize private property without Congressional legislation to support it...even during a National emergency to support a war effort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngstown_Sheet_&_Tube_Co._v._Sawyer

Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer, 343 U.S. 579 (1952),[1] also commonly referred to as the Steel Seizure Case or the Youngstown Steel case,[2][3] was a United States Supreme Court decision that limited the power of the President of the United States to seize private property in the absence of either specifically enumerated authority under Article Two of the United States Constitution or statutory authority conferred on him by Congress. It was a "stinging rebuff" to President Harry Truman.[4]

He has that authority: The National Emergencies Act

Nope. Taxpayer money.

What?? Surely not tax payer money. That would make a liar out of your boy...or would that be just alternative facts? Or do you mean Mexican taxpayer money? :lol:

What a sinking feeling being a Trump apologist must be.

What?? Surely not tax payer money. That would make a liar out of your boy...or would that be just alternative facts? Or do you mean Mexican taxpayer money? :lol:

What a sinking feeling being a Trump apologist must be.

I don't have any problems supporting Trump.

Fact is, the US could make Mexico pay for the wall. Unfortunately, Congress has to pass legislation to make it happen. If they did that, Trump would sign it in a heartbeat. But since they won't, now the US taxpayer has to pay. Don't blame Trump...blame Congress.

On the other hand, if Congress gave Trump kingly powers, he would certainly do it on his own. No question about it.

So...I'll leave it up to you. Do you want to blame it on Congress? Do you want Congress to give Trump more powers? Or do you want to continue to be dishonest and keep blaming Trump?

I don't have any problems supporting Trump.

Fact is, the US could make Mexico pay for the wall. Unfortunately, Congress has to pass legislation to make it happen. If they did that, Trump would sign it in a heartbeat. But since they won't, now the US taxpayer has to pay. Don't blame Trump...blame Congress.

On the other hand, if Congress gave Trump kingly powers, he would certainly do it on his own. No question about it.

So...I'll leave it up to you. Do you want to blame it on Congress? Do you want Congress to give Trump more powers? Or do you want to continue to be dishonest and keep blaming Trump?

Umm, I'll take option 4, and choose reality.

Good grief, did you think that would win this for you??

Option 1: No, I don't blame Congress, because they are doing their job - in this case working towards border control that works (unlike a border that only goes a quarter of the length of the border), and saving taxpayers money wasted on Donald Trump's ego. Billions of dollars. On Donald Trump's big fat ego.

Option 2: No, good grief, please no. Thank you, Democrats, for preventing that! Love, the World!

Option 3: Blaming Trump is not dishonest. He "proudly owns" the shut down. Too bad his reasons are garbage.

Option 4: My hope is that your country will endure the bit of time you have left with this man "in charge" without too much lasting damage, and come out of it ready to implement intelligent, effective, compassionate border control that actually works, vs spending billions on one more monument that better people will call to have torn down in a few years / decades. Also, Donald Trump is a hopeless asshole. :)

How is that a fact

Because Trump says so....now watch the swinging pocket watch....you are getting sleeeeepy….SLEEEEEEEPY....because Trump says so....sleeeepy….

;)

Well, if you didn't snip my comment, you would know.

Fact is, the US could make Mexico pay for the wall. Unfortunately, Congress has to pass legislation to make it happen.

What legislation could congress pass to make Mexico pay for the wall?

Umm, I'll take option 4, and choose reality.

Good grief, did you think that would win this for you??

Option 1: No, I don't blame Congress, because they are doing their job - in this case working towards border control that works (unlike a border that only goes a quarter of the length of the border), and saving taxpayers money wasted on Donald Trump's ego. Billions of dollars. On Donald Trump's big fat ego.

Option 2: No, good grief, please no. Thank you, Democrats, for preventing that! Love, the World!

Option 3: Blaming Trump is not dishonest. He "proudly owns" the shut down. Too bad his reasons are garbage.

Option 4: My hope is that your country will endure the bit of time you have left with this man "in charge" without too much lasting damage, and come out of it ready to implement intelligent, effective, compassionate border control that actually works, vs spending billions on one more monument that better people will call to have torn down in a few years / decades. Also, Donald Trump is a hopeless asshole. :)

Wow...all those answers...all that "reasoning"...and not a bit of it has to do with making Mexico pay for the wall.

Hard to focus today?

Back
Top Bottom