• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump decrees that California is not in a drought

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Trump tells California 'there is no drought'[/h]

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump told California voters Friday that he can solve their water crisis, declaring, "There is no drought."

All hail, might one. You can end the drought with only your words alone! I always knew you could produce copious amounts of hot air and wind, but we already have those things in abundance. I never knew you could make it rain.

Since the snow pack in the Southern Sierra, which feeds water to the Central Valley is about 75% of normal this year, and was at a 500 year low last year, bringing California out of the drought with a mere declaration is a godlike power.

All hail, might one. You can end the drought with only your words alone! I always knew you could produce copious amounts of hot air and wind, but we already have those things in abundance. I never knew you could make it rain.

Since the snow pack in the Southern Sierra, which feeds water to the Central Valley is about 75% of normal this year, and was at a 500 year low last year, bringing California out of the drought with a mere declaration is a godlike power.

If California had water shortage, California would not have all those Mexicans, and would not be a sanctuary state with sanctuary cities.

Ask the fed to round them up and deport them, and you will have plenty of water.

The Donald is simply taking a shot at the environmentalist. Plays well with his base. Evil gooberment and all.

If California had water shortage, California would not have all those Mexicans, and would not be a sanctuary state with sanctuary cities.

Ask the fed to round them up and deport them, and you will have plenty of water.

You think Mexicans use more water than the rest of us? What? That post made even less sense than the other ones you've written.

The Donald is simply taking a shot at the environmentalist. Plays well with his base. Evil gooberment and all.

Yes, his base, the ignorant who have no clue at all about California's water problems and think there is some simplistic answer to the problem. Trump plays to that base so well, doesn't he?

More echoes from the RW noise machine.
You think Mexicans use more water than the rest of us? What? That post made even less sense than the other ones you've written.

Isn't it true that the water being redirected for the delta smelt at least partially responsible for the water shortages in other parts of California?

So let me get this straight - if California got rid of all the Mexicans, the way-the-hell-below-normal-level snowpack would get deeper? Really?

Please, enlighten me as to how the heck the number of Mexicans affects the amount of snowpack California gets up in the mountains - THIS I just gotta see!

Isn't it true that the water being redirected for the delta smelt at least partially responsible for the water shortages in other parts of California?

I'll ask you the same question I asked "legalimmigrant": if California got rid of all the Mexicans, how the heck would the way-the-hell-below-normal-level snowpack get deeper?

That is a gross oversimplification.

The delta smelt is an indicator species. It is highly sensitive to salt and to pollution. The water in the delta is getting increasingly polluted and salty. The more water that gets pumped out, the saltier it gets. Too much salt means the water is not usable for agriculture.

Meanwhile, the pollution mainly comes from cities upstream from the two big rivers, the Sacramento and San Joaquin.

Some of the farmers in the west side of California depend, at least in part, on water from the Delta. They think they should be able to pump as much as they want, and that the Democrats in Congress are keeping them from it. The truth is that the limits on pumping were placed there by the courts, and that too much additional pumping would render the water too salty for use anyway.

That is a thumbnail sketch of the situation at any rate. Water use and availability is a highly complex subject for the state of California, and agriculture is an important part of the economy. I could go on about this subject, but it would be long and no one would read it anyway.

Almost 90% of california water goes to agriculture or is allowed to flow to the sea. If you deported half of the state that would only be a 5% reduction in consumption.

Last edited:

Yes CA is in a drought, but Trump is on ovsomething, the drought is being made worse by lack of water infrastructure

The last major project, CWP was completed in thev1970s, and California's population has increased from 25,000,000 to 38,000,000 in that timeframe. So it is certainly correct to say there is a political drought in California. Where is the most fringe extremist of environmentalists are allowed to dictate policy for a state of 38 million people

Yes CA is in a drought, but Trump is on ovsomething, the drought is being made worse by lack of water infrastructure

The last major project, CWP was completed in thev1970s, and California's population has increased from 25,000,000 to 38,000,000 in that timeframe. So it is certainly correct to say there is a political drought in California. Where is the most fringe extremist of environmentalists are allowed to dictate policy for a state of 38 million people

Find out how much of CA's water goes to farming and industry or flows to the sea...and how much is actually consumed by residents (including illegals), and then get back to us.

The delta smelt is an indicator species. It is highly sensitive to salt and to pollution. The water in the delta is getting increasingly polluted and salty. The more water that gets pumped out, the saltier it gets. Too much salt means the water is not usable for agriculture.

Meanwhile, the pollution mainly comes from cities upstream from the two big rivers, the Sacramento and San Joaquin.

Some of the farmers in the west side of California depend, at least in part, on water from the Delta. They think they should be able to pump as much as they want, and that the Democrats in Congress are keeping them from it. The truth is that the limits on pumping were placed there by the courts, and that too much additional pumping would render the water too salty for use anyway.

That is a thumbnail sketch of the situation at any rate. Water use and availability is a highly complex subject for the state of California, and agriculture is an important part of the economy. I could go on about this subject, but it would be long and no one would read it anyway.

The delta smelt is not a native species A). B) they are running 100's of thousands of acre feet of down the rivers into the ocean for something like 75 smelt that are not native to begin with. C) the farmers PAID for the water to be delivered and for the system to maintained, neither of which are occurring. D) the water storage is being systematically dismantled which exacerbates the whole situation. The only thing you are right about is the matter is most certainly complicated, mainly by the tree hugging nuts and their accomplices.

What is really dictating policy is money, the almighty dollar. There have been three dam proposals in this area in the past few years, two of which had some opposition. They weren't built due to cost. The third has little opposition, yet isn't being built. The reason again: Cost.

Dams won't do more than postpone the inevitable anyway.

The delta smelt is not a native species A). B) they are running 100's of thousands of acre feet of down the rivers into the ocean for something like 75 smelt that are not native to begin with. C) the farmers PAID for the water to be delivered and for the system to maintained, neither of which are occurring. D) the water storage is being systematically dismantled which exacerbates the whole situation. The only thing you are right about is the matter is most certainly complicated, mainly by the tree hugging nuts and their accomplices.
Do you understand the meaning of "indicator species"?
California isn't running water into the ocean to save a little fish. That's just a talking point from one side of the water warriors.

Here, whisky is for drinking. Water is for fighting over.

I'll ask you the same question I asked "legalimmigrant": if California got rid of all the Mexicans, how the heck would the way-the-hell-below-normal-level snowpack get deeper?

I have no idea. I think you are better off redirecting that question to legalimmigrant.

I was asking a question that's probably more germane to Calis' drought, and I admit, I don't know the answer, hence my asking about it.

Thanks Ditto. I'm now at least a little bit more informed about it.

Is it a valid impression that the courts forced a cold turkey style water cut off? One would think that if it were a slope or glide path from high agricultural water usage down to a sustainable agricultural water usage that it wouldn't have damaged / injured the agricultural as much as it appears to have been.

PS: The only other thought that I'd contribute is that parts of Cali are in fact are considered desert, isn't it? So how surprising that is it that there's a drought in a desert area?

Last edited:
Because I live in California, I actually clicked the link and read the context.

"They don't understand — nobody understands it," he said, declaring at one point: "There is no drought. They turn the water out into the ocean."
...he actually thinks the drought is caused by policy.

No matter what standards we apply to our politicians, you can count on Trump to shatter the floors.

97% of average is " way below " normal levels ?

Snowpack 97% of Average in California's Northern Sierra

You people just make up **** as you go along, dont you ? And then think you have the moral high ground to criticize Trump and his supporters?

For ONE year...whereas the previous years it was far less...which is why the glaciers are retreating, and the lakes and rivers are far below normal.

For ONE year...whereas the previous years it was far less...which is why the glaciers are retreating, and the lakes and rivers are far below normal.

Lol......so AGW is over ! We won !! Hahahaha...

A few years ago it was apocalyptic, but now AGW has retreated to the point where California's snow pack is back tp 97% of average

If you bothered to spend a whole 3 minutes Googling the Snow pack you wouldn't have to make ridiculous comments in a futile attempt to cover your own rhetoric

Most people have that by default :shrug:

The people who are making up AGW data as they go along have no place to criticize anyone let alone Trump supporters

Find out how much of CA's water goes to farming and industry or flows to the sea...and how much is actually consumed by residents (including illegals), and then get back to us.

Where did illegals come into this? I never said anything about illegals

This just shows what an utter idiot he truly is. Anyone who would vote for this man should check their brain at the voting booth.

Back
Top Bottom