• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump declines to condemn Russia over Navalny poisoning

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

trump-silent-as-world-leaders--191226172759-navalny-pano-super-tease-500.jpg

9/4/20
President Donald Trump on Friday declined to condemn Russia over the poisoning of opposition leader Alexey Navalny, even though leaders from around the world, as well as other Trump administration officials, have pinned the blame on the country. At a press briefing on Friday, Trump was asked what his message to Russia was about Navalny's poisoning, after the German government said a chemical agent known to be utilized by the Kremlin was used against Navalny. We have to look at it very seriously. If that's the case, and I think we will," Trump said when asked how the US should react. "I don't know exactly what happened, I think it's tragic. It's terrible, it shouldn't happen. We haven't had any proof yet, but I will take a look," he added. It's the latest example of Trump declining to condemn Russia and its president, Vladimir Putin, for authoritarian actions. In the case of the Navalny poisoning, leaders around the world, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, offered strong condemnation and called for answers from the Russian government. In addition to German officials, a NATO in-house lab test proved "beyond doubt" that the opposition leader was poisoned with the military-grade nerve agent Novichok in what the NATO chief described Friday as an "assassination attempt."

Putin could piss on Trumps head on 5th Avenue in New York and Trump wouldn't say boo.

trump-silent-as-world-leaders--191226172759-navalny-pano-super-tease-500.jpg

Putin could piss on Trumps head on 5th Avenue in New York and Trump wouldn't say boo.

I prefer a leader who waits to find out the facts before taking a position.

"We have to look at it very seriously. If that's the case, and I think we will," Trump said when asked how the US should react. "I don't know exactly what happened, I think it's tragic. It's terrible, it shouldn't happen. We haven't had any proof yet, but I will take a look," he added.

Much better than knee jerking from world leaders and nonsense from Trump haters.

Who did not see Trump disagreeing with NATO on this issue coming?

Much better than knee jerking from world leaders and nonsense from Trump haters.

He's had the fact's for a few days. The German's have confirmed poisoning by a Russian nerve agent. What other fact's does the idiot need?

I sure don't recall Trump offering an American hospital to Navalny. That would be too correct.

And that's a perfect example of Trump's seeding of leadership. He should have had him brought right to Walter Reed. I am sure we would have come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:
He's had the fact's for a few days. The German's have confirmed poisoning by a Russian nerve agent. What other fact's does the idiot need?

I sure don't recall Trump offering an American hospital to Navalny. That would be too correct.

Healthcare for illegals?

:mrgreen:

Would that be anything like Trump declaring the explosion in Beirut was an attack? He jumped right on that before he had any facts. Trump fails and you root for him.

The Germans did not confirm the Russians did it.

after the German government said a chemical agent known to be utilized by the Kremlin...

Does this mean it was the Russians who utilized it this time? Could it have been someone else who got a hold of the same agent?

This is why we shouldn't go around jerking our knees.

Does this mean it was the Russians who utilized it this time? Could it have been someone else who got a hold of the same agent?

That's all total BS and you know it. The Russians have done it before. When Putin sees a threat to his rule, he acts.

That's all total BS and you know it. The Russians have done it before. When Putin sees a threat to his rule, he acts.

But is it a fact that he did it this time?

Let me know when you find out. Until then, I'll stick with Trump: Investigate. Find out the facts. Then react.

No jerking knees for me.

It's utterly extraordinary that we're in the fourth year of an administration in which everybody just gets that the President is compromised by a hostile foreign power. And all we can really do is say, "Golly, I sure hope he's voted out at the end of his term."

he is possibly compromised. of course he isn't going to criticize Putin any more than an online election interference professional would.

He was a prominent Putin critic who was poisoned inside Russia with the same Russian developed nerve agent that multiple other critics of Putin were poisoned with.

He was a prominent Putin critic who was poisoned inside Russia with the same Russian developed nerve agent that multiple other critics of Putin were poisoned with.

So?

That is circumstantial evidence. I'll wait for the facts.

You must not be referring to Trump because he is allergic to facts.

Didn't Trump say last night we should be looking more closely at China for it?
There are those of us who have drank the orange cool aide and and those that haven't. I'll let you decide which is which.

So?

That is circumstantial evidence. I'll wait for the facts.

If you were to venture a guess though, with the caveat that we are simply speculating here, who do you think is most likely ultimately responsible for this man's poisoning?

Russia is the only country that has stocks of Novichok.

And Nalvany fell ill at the airport in Tomsk, Russia.

Back
Top Bottom