• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Creates The Opportunity and Revitalization Council

Buzz62

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...-aimed-at-revitalizing-distressed-communities

Haven't seen this anywhere and figured it was note worthy.
This executive order encourages development in 8000 down-trodden communities.
It should provide real and desperately needed revitalization to these communities, many of which, if not most, are primarily the home to countless "visible minorities".

So...anyone wanna tell me again just how "racist" the POTUS is?

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...-aimed-at-revitalizing-distressed-communities

It should provide real and desperately needed revitalization to these communities, many of which, if not most, are primarily the home to countless "visible minorities".

What does race have to do with this? I didn't see mention of race in your link. Or let me guess - only black and brown people live in "impoverished communities"?

I did see this:

But the program has also faced some scrutiny. The Associated Press on Tuesday reported that Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, the president's daughter and son-in-law who work at the White House, could end up benefiting financially from the program.

What does race have to do with this? I didn't see mention of race in your link. Or let me guess - only black and brown people live in "impoverished communities"?

I did see this:

But the program has also faced some scrutiny. The Associated Press on Tuesday reported that Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, the president's daughter and son-in-law who work at the White House, could end up benefiting financially from the program.
What good is power if it can not be used to enrich family and friends with tax breaks, because that is what these zones are to the developers.

Yes, because there are no poor white people right? Also, the article mentions that, yet again, the Trump family will most likely PROFIT from it. Go figure huh?

Trump is only color blind when MONEY is in front of him.

While most this seems like a good idea it begs the question: why was such common sense lacking prior to this EO? With the exception of the federal tax breaks (different federal income tax law based on zip code?) it seems to make sense.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ump-lifting-american-communities-left-behind/

What good is power if it can not be used to enrich family and friends with tax breaks, because that is what these zones are to the developers.

You can take the boy out of the real estate slum lord business, but you can't take the slum lord out of the boy.

I did see this:

What the video at this link
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-trump-signs-executive-order-on-opportunity-zones

And why shouldn't investors benefit from this revitalization? This is a "win-win" for everyone.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-live-trump-signs-executive-order-on-opportunity-zones

And why shouldn't investors benefit from this revitalization? This is a "win-win" for everyone.

You didn't answer my question so I'll ask it again. What does race have to do with this? You held this out there as proof that Trump isn't racist. There is no mention of the demographics of the communities nor the 35 million people living in them. So you have decided that they all are not white, because.....white people don't live in low income areas? That's racist right there.

Yes, we all cheer when the President's daughter and son in law can make even more money. Yeeha. That $85 million they made last year doesn't stretch far, I'm sure.

I did see this:

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to convince anyone to put (move?) a private business into an area without the expectation that the business would return a profit. My only objection to such plans is the use of selective federal tax breaks to artificially make that more likely. Crony capitalism is no better simply because of the zip codes involved.

I did see this:

Of course, everything Trump does is to enrich himself and rich people. Just starting a council means nothing, since nothing has actually been done. But we will see. Of course, tax breaks are given to people that develop. But then what happens when you develop a downtrodden neighborhood? You basically make it too expensive for the poor people living there and they just move away and you have a new down trodden place

Is that what Trump is calling is Cabinet now?

lol

Of course, everything Trump does is to enrich himself and rich people. Just starting a council means nothing, since nothing has actually been done. But we will see. Of course, tax breaks are given to people that develop. But then what happens when you develop a downtrodden neighborhood? You basically make it too expensive for the poor people living there and they just move away and you have a new down trodden place

Hasn't Trump convened these councils before with no luck? Why yes, yes he has.

I also assume everyone who supports this idea also supports the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977, which also encourages investment and development in low income areas.

LOL! It's a sham, given that huge tax windfalls are created for both Kushner and his wife.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1945a6c2eb49

Last edited:

I did see this:

What! The President using his position to the benefit of friends and family!!?? I'm shocked. Trump is a model of scrupulous moral action.

You didn't answer my question so I'll ask it again. What does race have to do with this? You held this out there as proof that Trump isn't racist. There is no mention of the demographics of the communities nor the 35 million people living in them. So you have decided that they all are not white, because.....white people don't live in low income areas? That's racist right there.

Yes, we all cheer when the President's daughter and son in law can make even more money. Yeeha. That $85 million they made last year doesn't stretch far, I'm sure.

No I simply used my eyes and common sense. Two skills you seem to want to knowingly ignore, or have simply forgotten.
I'm not surprised you'd try to make this out to be some sort of back-handed ploy to make money. It must be hard to oppose development in these poorer areas, knowing full well the Dumbocrats have done a big fat ZERO to provide opportunity to the people who live there. Between this and the bill concerning prison and law reform...I'd imagine you really need to forsake every "moral" fiber in your body now...just to oppose Trump.

Good on ya...:roll:

No I simply used my eyes and common sense. Two skills you seem to want to knowingly ignore, or have simply forgotten.
I'm not surprised you'd try to make this out to be some sort of back-handed ploy to make money. It must be hard to oppose development in these poorer areas, knowing full well the Dumbocrats have done a big fat ZERO to provide opportunity to the people who live there. Between this and the bill concerning prison and law reform...I'd imagine you really need to forsake every "moral" fiber in your body now...just to oppose Trump.

Good on ya...:roll:

Let us use our "eyes". Post pictures of these 35 million people so we can see all those non-white faces that you see. "Common sense"? You mean the "common sense" that tells you that 35 million Americans in impoverished communities simply can't be white, right? Because minorities are all lazy and love to live in squalor, but white people, they rock!

Your post was disgusting and racist, and I called you out on it. Don't embarrass yourself even further by tinkling in your panties about "opposing Trump".

Only if you think that putting or, more likely, re-locating a business a few blocks from where it otherwise would be is going to make some magical difference in lives of the local 'pockets of' poor. If you need to hire skilled or highly educated workers then you will do so no matter where that business is relocated - the expectation that local hiring of unskilled or under educated folks (aka "the poor") will automagically occur is simply wishful thinking. The more likely outcome is rapid gentrification forcing those least able to afford higher costs of living to get out of the way so that redevelopment of housing (and other supporting services) suitable to the wants of the relocated (non-poor) workforce can be met.

There are a variety of reasons for why enterprise zones have failed. One is that businesses simply gamed the system and figured out ways to get the tax cuts without doing much of anything in return, something economists call “rent-seeking.” Often, the “job creation” in the zones resulted simply from the relocation of business just outside the zone into the zone. Another problem is that high taxes are not a significant reason why businesses don’t invest in the inner cities now. It’s more because they lack an educated labor force, transportation, a local population with purchasing power and other factors that the enterprise zone concept didn’t address.

Enterprise Zones: A Bipartisan Failure | The Fiscal Times

Last edited:
Let us use our "eyes". Post pictures of these 35 million people so we can see all those non-white faces that you see. "Common sense"? You mean the "common sense" that tells you that 35 million Americans in impoverished communities simply can't be white, right? Because minorities are all lazy and love to live in squalor, but white people, they rock!

Your post was disgusting and racist, and I called you out on it. Don't embarrass yourself even further by tinkling in your panties about "opposing Trump".

Boy are you ever a racist. And I should add...you misrepresent the words of people to suit you...soooo easily.

I said much if not most...I believe?
Ya quite a number of the communities will be mainly white. It happens to be a GOOD thing that these communities are slated for investment.
But again...good on ya for exhibiting you racist tendencies. It takes real moral fiber to openly make such horrid proclamations.

Boy are you ever a racist. And I should add...you misrepresent the words of people to suit you...soooo easily.

I said much if not most...I believe?
Ya quite a number of the communities will be mainly white. It happens to be a GOOD thing that these communities are slated for investment.
But again...good on ya for exhibiting you racist tendencies. It takes real moral fiber to openly make such horrid proclamations.

I'm not a racist. You decided that the 35 million people are obviously not white. That's on you. Your post was extremely racist and I can see that I'm not the only one who caught it.

According to this article in the NY Times, we should be cautious of this plan. It seems to be a method to enrich real estate developers. Many of the areas aren't depressed at all -- such as the area in Long Island City where skyscrapers are being built and where Amazon wants to put a headquarters.

Only if you think that putting or, more likely, re-locating a business a few blocks from where it otherwise would be is going to make some magical difference in lives of the local 'pockets of' poor. If you need to hire skilled or highly educated workers then you will do so no matter where that business is relocated - the expectation that local hiring of unskilled or under educated folks (aka "the poor") will automagically occur is simply wishful thinking. The more likely outcome is rapid gentrification forcing those least able to afford higher costs of living to get out of the way so that redevelopment of housing (and other supporting services) suitable to the wants of the relocated (non-poor) workforce can be met.

Enterprise Zones: A Bipartisan Failure | The Fiscal Times

:lamo
You simply cannot accept a good move when you see one...can you.

Back
Top Bottom