• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump cornered on border wall

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

2/7/19
Inside the White House, the Trump team is increasingly aware that the president is trapped. Facing a Republican Party unwilling to back another government shutdown or a national emergency declaration to build his border wall, President Donald Trump is in an unfamiliar position, according to multiple White House officials and lawmakers: prepared, potentially, to accept a compromise foisted on him by Congress. Only a few days ago, Trump called a committee tasked with hammering out a border-security deal "a waste of time.” But he seemed warm to the idea of a bipartisan deal on Thursday after he met with Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard Shelby (R-Ala.). Though the White House has worked to prepare an emergency declaration invoking the president’s sweeping executive powers, several West Wing aides have warned that invoking it would alienate some conservatives who have otherwise been loyal to the White House. Lawmakers and activists on the right have been critical allies of the president on judicial nominations and have stressed that an emergency declaration could set a precedent for a future Democratic president to take far-reaching action on climate change or gun violence. Trump has stopped musing as much about a national emergency, both publicly and privately. Republicans have warned the White House against testing the president’s emergency authority.

Prominent conservative publications from National Review to The Wall Street Journal editorial board have also opposed the move, the latter warning it would “set a bad precedent that conservatives who believe in the separation of powers could live to regret.” Trump also might lose a vote in the Senate if he followed through with an emergency declaration. Just four Republicans would have to oppose him for a resolution of disapproval to be passed — an embarrassing outcome that would force him to issue his first veto. Meanwhile, both the White House and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell have signaled that they are opposed to signing another short-term spending bill to allow negotiations to stretch beyond next Friday. And due to new House rules adopted by Democrats that require a three-day review of major legislation, it’s officially crunch time for Congress. “We really have until, basically, Sunday to file the papers. So they’re going to have to in the next 24 to 48 hours agree, if there’s going to be a deal,” said Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.). That makes it all the more likely that Trump will be forced to choose between two unpalatable options: a bipartisan deal served up by lawmakers, or executive action that falls short of an emergency declaration. So even as Democrats were feeling good on Thursday about avoiding a shutdown, they weren’t counting anything out just yet. “I can’t predict what the president is going to do from tweet to tweet,” said Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.).

We hear less and less from Trump about his "national emergency" threat. Mulvaney has mentioned a possible "executive action", but this hasn't received much traction from within the White House.

A new reality is dawning on Trump ... he's no longer the beltway ringmaster. The midterms ended his two year run of unchecked power.

We hear less and less from Trump about his "national emergency" threat. Mulvaney has mentioned a possible "executive action", but this hasn't received much traction from within the White House.

A new reality is dawning on Trump ... he's no longer the beltway ringmaster. The midterms ended his two year run of unchecked power.

Trump has made his position clear. It's now up to Congress to send him a bill. When they do, he will then take whatever action he considers appropriate.

He's not in a box. He's simply waiting on Congress.

Trump has made his position clear. It's now up to Congress to send him a bill. When they do, he will then take whatever action he considers appropriate.

He will sign whatever is put in front of him

And then he will ask if he can please have another.

He has been whipped. Now he knows his place.

He's said he doesn't need congress so he can just declare a National Emergency. This is a crisis (according to him), so why hasn't he? OH YEAH, because it is ISN'T a CRISIS and Trump was lying yet again. :lamo

You cons just keep proving how your comments are just lies at this point.

'Waiting on Congress' IS 'in a box', considering he squandered his advantage. Big talk for three years counting the election campaign and now he needs the Democrats to fulfill his campaign promises. Maybe he thinks that if he can cajole the Dems into building his wall for him he can convince them to repeal and replace Obama care too and lock up Hillary Clinton.

He can't hide his incompetence behind inflammatory rhetoric anymore. The Emporer has no clothes and only the most devoted acolytes still say he's presidential.

Who knew being President was so had?

He's said he doesn't need congress so he can just declare a National Emergency. This is a crisis (according to him), so why hasn't he? OH YEAH, because it is ISN'T a CRISIS and Trump was lying yet again. :lamo

No, he is giving the congress the opportunity to address the problem. We will have to wait and see what they come up with and whether Trump will act on his own or not. Not sure how you dont understand this, but you dont.

Dems told us if he reopens the Gov they would negotiate with him. They have 1 week left with the ball in their court. After that it will be up to Trump what he does next.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dems told us if he reopens the Gov they would negotiate with him. They have 1 week left with the ball in their court. After that it will be up to Trump what he does next.

Trump will sign whatever makes it out of Congress, and what makes it out of Congress will not include any money for his wall

Trump has been whipped like a rented mule.

The only way Trump can shut down the government now is by vetoing a spending bill that has passed both houses. As of today, there is nothing for him to sign.

Unchecked power? If he'd had unchecked power, the wall construction would be going on as we speak. Ryan and the other GOP corporate quislings made sure that didn't happen.

The only way Trump can shut down the government now is by vetoing a spending bill that has passed both houses. As of today, there is nothing for him to sign.

There will be, guaranteed. And Trump will sign, guaranteed.

Unchecked power? If he'd had unchecked power, the wall construction would be going on as we speak. Ryan and the other GOP corporate quislings made sure that didn't happen.

Ryan was too busy trying to kill Obamacare and fleecing the American taxpayer.

There will be, guaranteed. And Trump will sign, guaranteed.

I agree that if a bill gets to his desk he will sign it. But Im not certain a bill without any wall funding will get 60 votes in the senate.

He will declare a national emergency if not deal is reached.

"Corner" that.

Dream on! :cool:

He will declare a national emergency if not deal is reached.

"Corner" that.

He will make sure a deal is reached, and then he will explain that when he said "wall" he was really talking about border security, and since the deal includes money for border security, he fulfilled his promise. And you will probably agree with him.

He will make sure a deal is reached, and then he will explain that when he said "wall" he was really talking about border security, and since the deal includes money for border security, he fulfilled his promise. And you will probably agree with him.

I don't think that will happen. People continue to underestimate Trump and his determination to do what he promised. More wall will be built. It just remains to be seen how much. What I find sad is that people actually oppose it when everyone knows it will work, even its opponents. If walls don't work why do people continue to build them? Why do the political, media and Hollywood elites have them around their estates? Can't anyone just use a ladder? That's what we keep hearing.

No, he is giving the congress the opportunity to address the problem. We will have to wait and see what they come up with and whether Trump will act on his own or not. Not sure how you dont understand this, but you dont.

Trump needs someone else to do it for him. If he COULD do it himself, get the wall built, surely he would have done it before now. He squandered his advantage, the first sign of political incompetence, and now he wants the Democrats to do what he couldn't do himself.

Nice rhetoric and certainly an "up" for the anyone but Trump crowd....but it has no bearing on anything.

Trump is allowing congress to find a "solution" which he has already rejected. Once released he will Twit the **** out of it to show how bad it is, he will exaggerate like NEVER before.
Then he will announce he's building the wall anyway, and coyly make his enemies figure it out from there.

As we speak the rats in the administration are raiding every department for loose change. He figures he can find enough $ and make an end run around congress.

God! I so LOVE American politics. It never ends, every issue on the floor today was an issue when I lived there in the 60's, from gun crime to women's right to illegal immigration to secrets and nasty, hate politics; ALL of it was there when I left in 1967. NONE of it has changed to any large degree, but the debate has edged into violence and continues to escalate.

I am 70. I am sure I will see a civil war in the US before I die.

BUT DON'T EVER make the mistake of thinking I care. Frankly I have not seen anyone in the Oval Office in my life whom I could respect since Eisenhower.

They run out of money on the 15th. He may sign a short extension to give them more time or he may shut it down again. He has more options than the left want to admit.

Back
Top Bottom