• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump considering declaring national emergency to get wall funding

Airyaman

New Druid
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Well, seems we might see government open back up soon, Trump might find wall funding elsewhere: by declaring a national emergency to get wall funding from the Department of Defense!

Trump considering declaring national emergency to secure wall funding

It seems, according to NYT's Maggie Haberman, that Trump confirmed the story: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1081276957361356807

How does everyone feel about this? I believe it would be an abuse of power to declare a national emergency for wall funding, when there is no corresponding emergency. Sadly, he'll do whatever Mitch McConnell allows him to get away with.

Well, seems we might see government open back up soon, Trump might find wall funding elsewhere: by declaring a national emergency to get wall funding from the Department of Defense!

It seems, according to NYT's Maggie Haberman, that Trump confirmed the story: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1081276957361356807

How does everyone feel about this? I believe it would be an abuse of power to declare a national emergency for wall funding, when there is no corresponding emergency. Sadly, he'll do whatever Mitch McConnell allows him to get away with.

Playing politics with such things is clearly an abuse of power

'Abuse of power' is an understatement. He's such an idiot, but even worse, he's a dangerous idiot and has no clue whatsoever on how to lead this country. He is on his path towards complete power, an oligarchy, and people are giving him the power. Goodbye United States of America, it's no longer united and it's no longer a democracy. Thanks Trump supporters, you aided and assisted this beast from hell.

Woke up in a dictatorship, didja?
Good morning!

He declared a national emergency in order to deprive federal employees of their pay raises.

So add this to the pile of abuses of power that taxpayers will have to pony up the money to pay the court costs for when people demand injunctions against his bogus applications of law.

The Manbaby-in-Chief is throwing yet another tantrum. Problem is, this manbaby is in charge of our armed forces.

I have never been on board the impeachment train but now I'm having second thoughts about it. This bastard is a danger to this country, he sold us out entirely and should be impeached.

Too bad Trump has run off all the generals; puts a damper on declaring martial law.......

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2018/12/what-trump-could-do-if-he-declares-state-emergency/153366/

The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power. For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

This edifice of extraordinary powers has historically rested on the assumption that the president will act in the country’s best interest when using them. With a handful of noteworthy exceptions, this assumption has held up. But what if a president, backed into a corner and facing electoral defeat or impeachment, were to declare an emergency for the sake of holding on to power? In that scenario, our laws and institutions might not save us from a presidential power grab. They might be what takes us down.

Well hell maybe we can just make being too dark skinned illegal?

Definitely need to make speaking anything but English illegal in 'murica!

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2018/12/what-trump-could-do-if-he-declares-state-emergency/153366/

The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power. For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

This edifice of extraordinary powers has historically rested on the assumption that the president will act in the country’s best interest when using them. With a handful of noteworthy exceptions, this assumption has held up. But what if a president, backed into a corner and facing electoral defeat or impeachment, were to declare an emergency for the sake of holding on to power? In that scenario, our laws and institutions might not save us from a presidential power grab. They might be what takes us down.

If Trump does this all hell is going to break loose.

Depends on how Republicans feel about it. If both parties agreed that it was an improper declaration, I imagine he would be considered incapacitated and removed under the 25th Amendment.

I hope you're right. I hope the Republicans stand up to him. This is just ridiculous, and dangerous, and irresponsible. There is no way anyone with a brain would think this is a good idea.

Seems like trump is trying to force his own impeachment. Congress could easily deem this an abuse of power and draft the articles. I wonder how many Republicans in the senate will agree though? If they're planning to ditch him, they'd best do it soon so it's half-forgotten by the time the next election rolls around.

In 2020 the GOP could find themselves in a tough place: stick with trump and go down with him or risk ditching him (and losing his base) a couple of months ahead of the election while the memory will still be fresh.

This is surreal yet I have an adult son that moved out of the country when Trump was elected, that's how much he hated Trump. He has told me more than once that Trump will call a national emergency and cancel the 2020 election. I thought he was crazy to think that, now I don't. Now I know what lengths of madness this man is more than willing to sink to.

Trump is such an idiot.

We do need a secure border and I don't think that is up for discussion.

It is the pin ball way of Trump going after something. He should have never said the Mexicans would pay for it without doing some work and seeing if that was a possibility.
So as usual he keeps changing his story weekly it seems.

I can see a wall in certain places but not the entire length of the US-Mexico border. It just seems that where we have satellites that can supposedly read a newspaper headline that we should be able to monitor it much easier than the cost of a 2,000 mile border.
Plus he is quoting $5 billion but when was the last time anyone saw a federal project completed at or under the original bid?

I hope you're right. I hope the Republicans stand up to him. This is just ridiculous, and dangerous, and irresponsible. There is no way anyone with a brain would think this is a good idea.

McConnel won't and that's who you would need to hold him accountable.

Here's the scarier part of the snip from that article;

Unknown to most Americans, a parallel legal regime allows the president to sidestep many of the constraints that normally apply. The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power. For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

Too bad Trump has run off all the generals; puts a damper on declaring martial law.......

Unfortunately, he's still the Commander-in-Chief and can do whatever he wants with our military.

Unfortunately, he's still the Commander-in-Chief and can do whatever he wants with our military.

No he cant, because Congress controls the funding of the military, if they want to.

That plus the orders must be lawful.

There is almost no chance that Trump will do it and there is almost no chance that SCOTUS would allow him to do it if he tried HOWEVER it is extremely likely that Congress moves to roll back Presidential emergency powers.....this will happen over the coming years.

Back
Top Bottom