• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says he doesn't 'understand' ...

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From ABC News

Trump Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says he doesn't 'understand' why federal workers lining up at food banks

As the partial government shutdown stretches into day 34 and 800,000 federal workers are set to start missing their second paycheck starting Friday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is downplaying the effects on government employees and the overall economy.

Asked in an interview with CNBC Thursday about workers who have been seen lining up at food banks and homeless shelters, Ross, a multi-millionaire, appeared to advise them to take on new debt.

"Well, I know they are and I don't really quite understand why,” Ross said. “Because as I mentioned before, they – the obligations that they would undertake, say, borrowing from a bank or a credit union, are in effect federally guaranteed."

"So the 30 days of pay that some people will be out, there's no real reason why they shouldn't be able to get a loan against it," Ross added.

COMMENT:-

"Hey, if their MasterCard is maxed out, they can always put the stuff on VISA.", says Wilbur ("Marie Antoinette") Ross, "I mean they can always just write a cheque like I do - right.".

Doesn't Mr. Ross understand that there are additional costs associated with buying stuff on credit? Is Mr. Ross proposing that the US government should PAY those additional costs so that their workers break even? (That was what is known as a "Rhetorical Question" to which the answer is "Fat chance!!!".)

PS - Marie Antoinette did NOT say "Let them eat cake." in response to being told that the people had no bread. What she did say was "Let them eat the small loaves" when told that the people had no (regular sized loaves of) bread. Of course the degree of detachment from reality in both cases is just about the same (and the "Let them eat cake." line sells more advertising space.)

Average pay for federal employee ranges from $63,000-$112,000. 300,000 of them are paid in excess of $100,000 annually. So I would like to know why it is that millions of people live on much less but these people can’t feed themselves between paychecks.

Average pay for federal employee ranges from $63,000-$112,000. 300,000 of them are paid in excess of $100,000 annually. So I would like to know why it is that millions of people live on much less but these people can’t feed themselves between paychecks.

Been a long time since I was a government worker GS-4 in the mid 1970’s, but you need to be a GS-12 to break $63K. I dont think many of the affected workers are GS-12 and up.

View attachment 67248734

Been a long time since I was a government worker GS-4 in the mid 1970’s, but you need to be a GS-12 to break $63K. I dont think many of the affected workers are GS-12 and up.

View attachment 67248734

Well, there’s only one way to be sure. What are the names of the affected workers? Their pay is publicly available information.

If you're shocked that some Americans, including those making decent wages in the range you're talking about live paycheck to paycheck, that's your problem. The fact is millions and millions do. It doesn't change anything why they do, just that it's as common as dirt that many don't have 3 months in savings...

Well, there’s only one way to be sure. What are the names of the affected workers? Their pay is publicly available information.

You're the one who wants to know. Get their names, interview them, figure out why they aren't saving enough. There are 800,000 of them not getting paid, and only some of them are in line for food. Sounds like a big undertaking, so you best get started if you think this information is important to know.

That puts you in the Wilbur Ross/Lara Trump camp. They should ‘adjust’, right?

Because, like a whole lot of people in the US (and Canada) they are living from paycheque to paycheque in the lifestyle that the advertising (and social pressure) says that they "should" be living in.

You might find

interesting.

Would you like to be a bit more specific than "The average pay for federal employees is $87,500 (+/-28%).".

PS - When you do provide that average, please ensure that you don't simply take the highest pay, add it to the lowest pay, and divide by two. In order to arrive at the average (mean) pay, you have to multiply each pay rate by the number of people earning that pay rate, then add all of those numbers together, and then divide by the total number of people involved. As an example, if there are 100 people with 99 of them earning $50,000 and 1 of them earning $5,000,000 the average (mean) earnings are NOT $2,502,500 they are, in fact $99,500 (and even more telling the "modal income" is $50,000.

Not only are conservatives cheering Trump on for taking hostages and issuing demands, they are now attacking the hostages for being hostages.

That's some real principled compassionate behavior. Fits with "I don't like people who get captured"

:roll:

From ABC News

Trump Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says he doesn't 'understand' why federal workers lining up at food banks

As the partial government shutdown stretches into day 34 and 800,000 federal workers are set to start missing their second paycheck starting Friday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is downplaying the effects on government employees and the overall economy.

Asked in an interview with CNBC Thursday about workers who have been seen lining up at food banks and homeless shelters, Ross, a multi-millionaire, appeared to advise them to take on new debt.

"Well, I know they are and I don't really quite understand why,” Ross said. “Because as I mentioned before, they – the obligations that they would undertake, say, borrowing from a bank or a credit union, are in effect federally guaranteed."

"So the 30 days of pay that some people will be out, there's no real reason why they shouldn't be able to get a loan against it," Ross added.

COMMENT:-

"Hey, if their MasterCard is maxed out, they can always put the stuff on VISA.", says Wilbur ("Marie Antoinette") Ross, "I mean they can always just write a cheque like I do - right.".

Doesn't Mr. Ross understand that there are additional costs associated with buying stuff on credit? Is Mr. Ross proposing that the US government should PAY those additional costs so that their workers break even? (That was what is known as a "Rhetorical Question" to which the answer is "Fat chance!!!".)

PS - Marie Antoinette did NOT say "Let them eat cake." in response to being told that the people had no bread. What she did say was "Let them eat the small loaves" when told that the people had no (regular sized loaves of) bread. Of course the degree of detachment from reality in both cases is just about the same (and the "Let them eat cake." line sells more advertising space.)

Yeah, the lack of self awareness of these assholes is something to behold. Don Jr.'s wife made a similar comment. It's true if you're wealthy and need money, there's always a bank ready to extend your line of credit a bit against your $100s of millions in assets. Or in the case of Trump for his entire adult life through his dad's death, and his kids, no need for that - just ask daddy for a little advance. Doesn't mean that's how it works for the proles.

That puts you in the Wilbur Ross/Lara Trump camp. They should ‘adjust’, right?

Well, you’re doing something wrong if you’re in the top 20% and still can’t feed yourself. So yeah, something needs to change with their financial habits.

[/INDENT]

Maybe this debacle will end with people losing their heads as well. Metaphorically, of course.

Not only are conservatives cheering Trump on for taking hostages and issuing demands, they are now attacking the hostages for being hostages.

That's some real principled compassionate behavior. Fits with "I don't like people who get captured"

Hostages? :lol: That’s a new one in shutdown lingo. So I suppose you think we should be held hostage by these people’s shockingly poor financial decisions instead right? But hey, if you want hostages then the Democrats in the House can keep playing PR games until SNAP and WIC benefits can no longer be paid out in March. That’ll be some “hostages” for ya. :lol:

Yeah, the lack of self awareness of these assholes is something to behold.
In fairness, it is not the lack of self-awareness, but the lack of empathy.

Wilbur Ross is probably correct. He probably DOESN'T understand. And that's okay. It is not always easy for a person to put themselves in another's shoes if they have never walked a mile in them. But the problem here is not the lack of awareness, but the lack of empathy. The lack of trying to understand that not everyone's situations are the same, that different people have different issues and need to deal with different things differently.

But, most importantly, what people need to understand is that these workers are patriots working for the United States government and they should not have to worry about getting paid because some elected officials who make two or three times as much money (and are still getting paid) are having a pissing contest. THAT is the problem here.
Hostages? :lol: That’s a new one in shutdown lingo. So I suppose you think we should be held hostage by these people’s shockingly poor financial decisions instead right?
This is the lack of empathy of which I speak.

You have no idea what these people's personal situations are like. Some may be poor at handling money. Others may have family members who need care. Some may have medical bills, one of the greatest and most preventable tragedies in America today. You do not know these people and to summarily dismiss all of their concerns speaks of an arrogance which currently defines the leading members of both parties.

For many in Trump world there does seem to be a general antipathy towards public workers of any kind.

The idea of overpaid, lazy, untalented idiots with undue job security seems to be the extreme stereotype.

Evidence the autocrats don't understand the life the majority of americans actually live.

This guy ought to immediately resign.

Because, like a whole lot of people in the US (and Canada) they are living from paycheque to paycheque in the lifestyle that the advertising (and social pressure) says that they "should" be living in.

You might find

interesting.

Would you like to be a bit more specific than "The average pay for federal employees is $87,500 (+/-28%).".

PS - When you do provide that average, please ensure that you don't simply take the highest pay, add it to the lowest pay, and divide by two. In order to arrive at the average (mean) pay, you have to multiply each pay rate by the number of people earning that pay rate, then add all of those numbers together, and then divide by the total number of people involved. As an example, if there are 100 people with 99 of them earning $50,000 and 1 of them earning $5,000,000 the average (mean) earnings are NOT $2,502,500 they are, in fact $99,500 (and even more telling the "modal income" is $50,000.

Median works fine too. ;)

That was a curious citation - the average pay is a $50,000 range.....:confused:

And obviously, only some of those 800,000 affected are in food lines. My guess is the large majority are at the lower range, and if they have young families, living paycheck to paycheck almost the default condition. What seems to be the relevant fact is many ARE struggling, and the "let them eat cake" Wilbur Ross is so detached from the realities of normal life in the U.S. that someone needs to tell him to just shut up when talking about it.

Well, obviously, I'd be fine if they made him the spokesman for the cause. Put him on all the networks. Let them eat cake should work out well for the Trump administration here. :lamo

Easy, they live and work in one of the most expensive place in the country. 100K salary isn't that great when considering how expensive DC is.

This is the lack of empathy of which I speak.

You have no idea what these people's personal situations are like. Some may be poor at handling money. Others may have family members who need care. Some may have medical bills, one of the greatest and most preventable tragedies in America today. You do not know these people and to summarily dismiss all of their concerns speaks of an arrogance which currently defines the leading members of both parties.

I don’t believe in empathy - I believe in rational compassion. If you’re in such dire financial straits that you can’t feed yourself between paychecks then you shouldn’t be working for the federal government.

Hostages? :lol: That’s a new one in shutdown lingo. So I suppose you think we should be held hostage by these people’s shockingly poor financial decisions instead right? But hey, if you want hostages then the Democrats in the House can keep playing PR games until SNAP and WIC benefits can no longer be paid out in March. That’ll be some “hostages” for ya. :lol:

Emojis and a mocking tone, in defense of attacking hostages for going to food banks as a result of something your guy did? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised any more.

Keep it classy.

Key word in your post might be “average.” Problem could come when the “between” is a month instead of two weeks. Or we could visit one of the food bank lines and ask.

For many in Trump world there does seem to be a general antipathy towards public workers of any kind.

The idea of overpaid, lazy, untalented idiots with undue job security seems to be the extreme stereotype.

I've definitely been hearing that from the right more generally for a couple decades at least. Somewhere along the line they went from "we want efficient government" to "all government is evil."

I don’t believe in empathy
You don't believe in a scientifically confirmed emotion?

Interesting. Do you not believe in gravity either?

I believe in rational compassion. If you’re in such dire financial straits that you can’t feed yourself between paychecks then you shouldn’t be working for the federal government.
It's like you did not even read what I wrote and decided to vomit yet more stupidity onto the screen.

Not everyone has a choice. Not everyone gets to be healthy. Not everyone gets to leave college debt free. Not everyone gets to have children or parents who are healthy. Not everyone gets to avoid natural disasters or have the knowledge to understand when a bank sells to them a loan which should be illegal.

I'm not asking for you to be empathetic or compassionate. I'm just asking that you stop posting such incredibly stupid nonsense.

Maybe this debacle will end with people losing their heads as well. Metaphorically, of course.

I do have to admit that there are days when I am more in favour of a proposal set out in an old science fiction story than others.

That proposal involved fitting all elected representatives with a remotely activated collar that contained both a constricting device and a shaped charge. As the electorate's disapproval with the representative increased, the constricting device tightened. When that tightening reached a critical point the shaped charge went off and severed the representative's head from their body. (At which point, naturally, a new elected representative would have to be selected.)

I don’t believe in empathy - I believe in rational compassion. If you’re in such dire financial straits that you can’t feed yourself between paychecks then you shouldn’t be working for the federal government.

Are you deliberately missing the point? Between paychecks is not the problem. No paychecks is.

Back
Top Bottom